BIO1001 - concessional pass? (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
My friend did BIO1001, and she ended up getting a 49, so she failed.

Can she appeal this, considering that she has received an average of 26% out of the possible 35% in the rest of her BIO1001 assessments, and 2Passes and 2Credits for her other subjects.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
isnt that what the conceeded passes are for? tell her to see the course coordinator...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I hope so, but neither of us are sure how it works at USYD, so we'd thought we'd ask

I hope it works though, cos it's gonna screw up her plans if she has to repeat that subject

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
not too sure about USYD, but i know at newcastle if we do well enough in the lab assessments (ie, all those that arent the final exam), we dont have to do the labs again, just sit the final exam (so if USYD is the same, she wouldnt have to attend lectures or any of that if she didnt want, so it wouldnt really be that much of a burden)
but yeah, as i said, i dont know about the USYD process either.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i dont' think biology offers concessional pass, but never hurt to give it a try...

maybe going to science faculty front window, or biology first year office to enquire abt the concessional pass....

Winston

HSC
Yep that's true, there is not more CP's in the entire Science faculty.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
SmokedSalmon said:
I thought u get a concessional pass if you get at least 47... hmm check with the department cause that is really unfair that she failed, by 1 mark as well!! :(
Well not really ... I mean she DID fail. It's not like she didn't deserve the mark she achieved.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Babydoll_, I'm not trying to be mean, but if your fried got 26 / 35 in the assignments and ended up with 49 % for the subject, then she must have failed the exam (raw) by a fairly large margin. I agree that ending up with 49 is harsh, but FacSci is already allowing people to pass who fail the end of semester exam by some way, and we don't need to reduce standards any more, IMO.

On the question of PCON more generally, it was a Faculty wide decision to remove this grade, and rightly so IMO. It will not adversely effect enrollments, as USyd is viewed as presitiguous. Potential students are far more likely to avoid USyd because of the HECS rises, rather than because they might fail you a unit of study because they failed the exam.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Nah, I understand. It's just that she really wanted a pass cos her parents were gonna explode at her for failing a course. I feel terrible cos she's always done really well, but she's not great at biology. But I guess she has to go summer school now. Thanks anyhoo.

Winston

HSC
CM_Tutor said:
Babydoll_, I'm not trying to be mean, but if your fried got 26 / 35 in the assignments and ended up with 49 % for the subject, then she must have failed the exam (raw) by a fairly large margin. I agree that ending up with 49 is harsh, but FacSci is already allowing people to pass who fail the end of semester exam by some way, and we don't need to reduce standards any more, IMO.

On the question of PCON more generally, it was a Faculty wide decision to remove this grade, and rightly so IMO. It will not adversely effect enrollments, as USyd is viewed as presitiguous. Potential students are far more likely to avoid USyd because of the HECS rises, rather than because they might fail you a unit of study because they failed the exam.
But Why is it only removed by the faculty of science, i felt a little weird about this.... Other uni's still have CP's, and strangely, other faculties in Usyd still have CP's... blah...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Winston said:
But Why is it only removed by the faculty of science, i felt a little weird about this.... Other uni's still have CP's, and strangely, other faculties in Usyd still have CP's... blah...
AFAIK, it's not just the Faculty of Science. I think there are other faculties with no PCON. I also think this is the start of a trend - with time, I expect the PCON will disappear. But, its not a Uni-wide policy (at least, not yet). However, its removal does raise problems, notably the one babydoll_ raises. If someone gets 49 (after scaling), should you push them the extra mark? There are a variety of possibilities, and it really should be looked at case-by-case.

Winston

HSC
CM_Tutor said:
AFAIK, it's not just the Faculty of Science. I think there are other faculties with no PCON. I also think this is the start of a trend - with time, I expect the PCON will disappear. But, its not a Uni-wide policy (at least, not yet). However, its removal does raise problems, notably the one babydoll_ raises. If someone gets 49 (after scaling), should you push them the extra mark? There are a variety of possibilities, and it really should be looked at case-by-case.
Yeah i think it's a tad harsh... because ok fine, PCON's being removed, at least provide some other alternative for us, because some subjects are extremely hard, and some are within standards.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
CM_Tutor said:
Why though? If you get 49, you've failed the subject. If you start saying "oh well it's close enough", where do you draw that line? 47? 46?

What about the people with 45, they'll feel a little rorted because they missed out on passing by 1 mark.

You have to draw the line somewhere, and that line must be final. Every student knows they need to get 50 to pass, so obviously they're aiming above that mark. If they fall below it, deal, you've got no one to blame but yourself.

There is a little addition though, which is already covered in university policy. If there are certain circumstances affecting your study/exam mark etc. then you can appeal on one of those cool slips. Otherwise, you must realise that you've got what you deserve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)