BIOFUELS (1 Viewer)

HSCya1234567

HSC
Does anyone know/ have a nice summary of the social and economic implications of biofuels vs fossil fuels?

Thankyou!

HSCya1234567

HSC
literal legend thankyou so much; do you have any social implications by any chance, all ive got is that people have fought wars over oil deposits

nsw..wollongong

HSC
literal legend thankyou so much; do you have any social implications by any chance, all ive got is that people have fought wars over oil deposits
u could talk abt how cultural practices (eg. Indigenous) may be impeded on if land needs to be cleared for the production of biofuels, therefore negatively impacting on the social rights of individuals

HSCya1234567

HSC
Wtf I only have ethanol and petrol to compare..

We did biodiesel because my teacher says the syllabus dot point is a bit vauge so theoretically they can ask it;

IQ2: Hydrocarbons
- Examine the environmental, economic and sociocultural implications of obtaining and using hydrocarbons from the Earth.

IQ3: Alcohols

Compare and contrast fuels from organic sources to biofuels, including ethanol.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
We did biodiesel because my teacher says the syllabus dot point is a bit vauge so theoretically they can ask it;

IQ2: Hydrocarbons
- Examine the environmental, economic and sociocultural implications of obtaining and using hydrocarbons from the Earth.

IQ3: Alcohols

Compare and contrast fuels from organic sources to biofuels, including ethanol.
Wouldn’t petrol and ethanol be enough
All past hsc hasn’t asked more than that or if they do they give u data to compare

wizzkids

HSC
The really BIG social implication between fossil fuels and biofuels is competition for available agricultural land and crops.
Fossil hydrocarbons store solar energy that arrived on the Earth 250 to 200 million years ago. That's 50 million years of accumulated solar energy that we want to release again in the space of a mere 300 years since the Industrial Revolution.
If we want to replace that stored solar energy sustainably, in the current century, then vast amounts of land a crops will have to be turned over to capturing solar energy through photosynthesis for fuel production (corn, ethanol, methanol and vegetable oils etc.). This has already led to a spike in the price of corn in the United States.
This has enormous social and political implications.

HSCya1234567

HSC
The really BIG social implication between fossil fuels and biofuels is competition for available agricultural land and crops.
Fossil hydrocarbons store solar energy that arrived on the Earth 250 to 200 million years ago. That's 50 million years of accumulated solar energy that we want to release again in the space of a mere 300 years since the Industrial Revolution.
If we want to replace that stored solar energy sustainably, in the current century, then vast amounts of land a crops will have to be turned over to capturing solar energy through photosynthesis for fuel production (corn, ethanol, methanol and vegetable oils etc.). This has already led to a spike in the price of corn in the United States.
This has enormous social and political implications.

ahh perfect thankyou everyone. I was just doing the CSSA 2023 trial because our school gave it to us got stumped when i got to that 6 marker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)