Biology 2013ers MARATHONN (1 Viewer)

superSAIyan2

HSC
Interactions include:
- Both control the immune response and interact to destroy the same antigen
- Helper T cells can be activated by antigen presenting macrophages or B cells
- The interaction between B and T lymphocytes is regulated by the secretions of chemical signals by Helper T cells which activate the cloning of cytotoxic T cells, plasma B cells and memory B/T cells
- Cytotoxic T cells can interact with B cells without destroying them due to the presence of MHC molecules. This allows the lymphocytes to recognise each other as 'self' cells and hence work together.
- Suppressor T cells inactivate both B and T cells (would you say this is an interaction)

Question ; Describe the role of two types of T lymphocytes in the rejection of organ transplants

Youi_

HSC
Question ; Describe the role of two types of T lymphocytes in the rejection of organ transplants
Killer T lymphocytes recognize the organ to be transplanted as non self and begin attacking the organ. Helper T cells stimulate the cloning of killer T cells.

ocatal

HSC
Interactions include:
- Both control the immune response and interact to destroy the same antigen
- Helper T cells can be activated by antigen presenting macrophages or B cells
- The interaction between B and T lymphocytes is regulated by the secretions of chemical signals by Helper T cells which activate the cloning of cytotoxic T cells, plasma B cells and memory B/T cells
- Cytotoxic T cells can interact with B cells without destroying them due to the presence of MHC molecules. This allows the lymphocytes to recognise each other as 'self' cells and hence work together.
- Suppressor T cells inactivate both B and T cells (would you say this is an interaction)

I would classify it as an interaction, because without it the immune response would just continue (i.e. cloning more and more new T/B cells), unaware that the infection has been defeated which would further lead to autoimmune diseases.

Last edited:

superSAIyan2

HSC
Cool. Do you know any other points to add to that question? I struggled with that dot-point cos most of my resources were too vague.

ocatal

HSC
Cool. Do you know any other points to add to that question? I struggled with that dot-point cos most of my resources were too vague.
I think your answer is a pretty good overview already. Although unnecessary, you could mention the names of the chemical cytokines released by helper T cells (i.e. interleukin-2) just to demonstrate knowledge. If you have any questions from this dot point though, feel free to ask.

Since no one has posted:

A pathogen is said to reproduce by asexual binary fission. After careful observation a student concludes that the pathogen lacks a cell wall and is surrounded by small, cilia-like hairs. Identify and describe the observed pathogen.

Last edited:

mahmoudali

HSC
I think your answer is a pretty good overview already. Although unnecessary, you could mention the names of the chemical cytokines released by helper T cells (i.e. interleukin-2) just to demonstrate knowledge. If you have any questions from this dot point though, feel free to ask.

Since no one has posted:

A pathogen is said to reproduce by asexual binary fission. After careful observation a student concludes that the pathogen lacks a cell wall and is surrounded by small, cilia-like hairs. Identify and describe the observed pathogen.
the student was observing Bacteria... and what do you want us to describe lan you already described the whole thing in the question

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't these two dotpoints overlap? 'Identify the components of the immune response: antibodies, T cells, B cells'
and 'Describe and explain the immune response in the human body in terms of: interaction between B and T lymphocytes, the mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T lymphocytes, the range of T lymphocyte types and the difference in their roles'

fionarykim

HSC
the student was observing Bacteria... and what do you want us to describe lan you already described the whole thing in the question

die back - some plants may die above ground if temperature becomes too hot and cold (esp too hot) leaving living roots or shoots underground which remain until the conditions become favourable again so they can regrow.
heat/ fire to allow opening of seed pods - certain pods and seeds require extreme hot temperatures or fire to open
Leaf fall: many trees lose their leaves during the cold winter months, however eucalypts are evergreen and drop leaves during hot summer months in order to reduce water loss and reduce the risk of excessive transpiration.

i dont thnk i answered the 'account for specific response part...' any help?

ocatal

HSC

Nah its not bacteria because they do have cell walls. Its a protozoan. In terms of describing you would mention stuff like relative size (larger than bacteria, smaller than fungi), whether it is procaryotic or eucaryotic (eucaryotic) and any diseases it causes (malaria).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

- Eucalyptus leaves, hang vertically. Reduced surface for sun exposure at midday.
- Evaporatative cooling: stomata open, and when water gets evaporated, internal temperature cools.

mahmoudali

HSC
die back - some plants may die above ground if temperature becomes too hot and cold (esp too hot) leaving living roots or shoots underground which remain until the conditions become favourable again so they can regrow.
heat/ fire to allow opening of seed pods - certain pods and seeds require extreme hot temperatures or fire to open
Leaf fall: many trees lose their leaves during the cold winter months, however eucalypts are evergreen and drop leaves during hot summer months in order to reduce water loss and reduce the risk of excessive transpiration.

i dont thnk i answered the 'account for specific response part...' any help?
na i'd think that answer is good enough but try give an example of a named species of plant for your first response

ocatal

HSC
Don't these two dotpoints overlap? 'Identify the components of the immune response: antibodies, T cells, B cells'
and 'Describe and explain the immune response in the human body in terms of: interaction between B and T lymphocytes, the mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T lymphocytes, the range of T lymphocyte types and the difference in their roles'
To some extent, yeah, but the first one is mainly about where they are produced, features and the type of immunity they control (i.e. either cell-mediated or antibody-mediated) whereas the second one requires a brief outline of how the immune response occurs, their roles and how the B and T cells interact within it (MHC molecules).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)