Biology 2013ers MARATHONN (1 Viewer)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Emphasis is shifting from cure to prevention in dealing with plant and animal diseases. Preventing a disease from occurring is much better than curing it as a disease which has occurred can cause permanent damage and can also spread throughout a population. Due to vaccinations, quarantine etc(methods that prevent a disease from occurring) there's been a reduce in plant diseases and animal diseases, eg. foot and mouth disease.

edit:just highlight if you can't read the yellow :haha:
welcome to the state rankers circle. you and me.

wait, do u theoretically have a chance of state ranking, unless you ranked one internally, or else its near impossible (unless top 5 selective, strong bio cohort)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
welcome to the state rankers circle. you and me.

wait, do u theoretically have a chance of state ranking, unless you ranked one internally, or else its near impossible (unless top 5 selective, strong bio cohort)
lel I'm hoping I scrape a B6

edit:theoretically I can since I'm not too far behind the first guy internally (In first assignment weighing ~20% I got 67%(fu runescape) and he got ~95% and in trials I got 94% and he got 86% + beat him in other assignments but the first assignment...:()

Last edited:

leesh95

HSC
yeah all memory :) Is the validity part correct?
Not sure about the validity part.
I think he maintained validity by maintaining all the variables. So he only tested one independent variable at a time and kept all the others constant.
Testing lots of different traits would probably maintain accuracy? as he showed that his results could be applied to all traits in pea plants not just one.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Not sure about the validity part.
I think he maintained validity by maintaining all the variables. So he only tested one independent variable at a time and kept all the others constant.
Testing lots of different traits would probably maintain accuracy? as he showed that his results could be applied to all traits in pea plants not just one.
Yeah this seems correct

superSAIyan2

HSC
Compare the movement of substances through the xylem and phloem vessels of a plant
Xylem: tube to transport water and dissolved inorganic ions; upward movement of water; capillary action is facilitated by the combined interaction of root pressure, adhesion/cohesion forces and a passive transpiration stream (Caused by water loss at surface of leaves); passive process (no energy input)

Phloem: vessel to transport organic solutes (e.g. sugars); downward movement of a sugar sap; this is caused by a continual pressure gradient which forms as sugars are actively loaded at the sugar source (high pressure) and unloaded at sugar sink (low pressure); active process requiring energy input

I would probably answer that in a table with the headings : substances transported, direction of movement, mechanisms, energy input

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
impending state rank>

edit:had to change arrow because oblivious posted before me

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
lel I'm hoping I scrape a B6

edit:theoretically I can since I'm not too far behind the first guy internally (In first assignment weighing ~20% I got 67%(fu runescape) and he got ~95% and in trials I got 94% and he got 86% + beat him in other assignments but the first assignment...:()
You will defs get B6, its not that hard, spill out all ur memory onto the paper.
Lol runescape...big boys play league.

My internal situation.
Year 11: Came 1st by a significant marginal
First assessment: 7/11 ranking, at this point i was full depressed n shit, wanted to drop bio as I have 12 units.
Practical: 7/11, still up shit creek
Half-yearlies: top exam, ranking is like 4/11
Research: top test, ranking is like unknown at this point quite close 2/3
Trials: Come second...full stressing about not getting first, and the person who came first beat me by 3%.
Get report: ranked 1! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo. So surprised. So relieved. Now I don't have to worry about carrying people. Given that the person is likely to get a b6, im sitting in a good boat right now

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You will defs get B6, its not that hard, spill out all ur memory onto the paper.
Lol runescape...big boys play league.

My internal situation.
Year 11: Came 1st by a significant marginal
First assessment: 7/11 ranking, at this point i was full depressed n shit, wanted to drop bio as I have 12 units.
Practical: 7/11, still up shit creek
Half-yearlies: top exam, ranking is like 4/11
Research: top test, ranking is like unknown at this point quite close 2/3
Trials: Come second...full stressing about not getting first, and the person who came first beat me by 3%.
Get report: ranked 1! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo. So surprised. So relieved. Now I don't have to worry about carrying people. Given that the person is likely to get a b6, im sitting in a good boat right now
I just had a lil chat with the guy coming first...Apparently he played league till 4 last night and woke up at 9 in the morning and hasn't done anything till now.
My hopes of B6 crushed =/

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
In fact, our state ranks will be like my time in runescape. Solid in appearance, subversive in performance.

I was simply the king.

I had about 50 bots running over many computers. I had my main computer which was always my main pking. I went in there appearing to have nothing. I would pretend to watch fights, when the guy dies and has like 100hp left, he doesn't get scared of me. Until I equip full dharocks and slash him once with my axe, and by this time his protect item was off. Then I would go away with everything and repeat.

leesh95

HSC
I just had a lil chat with the guy coming first...Apparently he played league till 4 last night and woke up at 9 in the morning and hasn't done anything till now.
My hopes of B6 crushed =/
So the person at top has to get band 6 for you to get one?
If that's true then I am definitely getting a B6 since the girl whose first by some marks is speculated to state rank by our teacher who is also a HSC bio marker.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
So the person at top has to get band 6 for you to get one?
If that's true then I am definitely getting a B6 since the girl whose first by some marks is speculated to state rank by our teacher who is also a HSC bio marker.
Ugh, not really. If he doesn't do too well, it won't really affect me that much because I think I'm pretty close to him internally, i.e our internal marks are close. Besides that, I, myself have to get a B6 externally to get a B6 hsc mark (chances are I'll get higher than him externally, pulling his fat lazy ass up while he plays LoL =/)

It depends if you're definitely getting a B6 or not, if your internal gap between her is too large her high B6 won't really pull you up, if you're close to her internally, it'll pull you up. Also, your externals make up 50% of your HSC mark.

leesh95

HSC
Xylem: tube to transport water and dissolved inorganic ions; upward movement of water; capillary action is facilitated by the combined interaction of root pressure, adhesion/cohesion forces and a passive transpiration stream (Caused by water loss at surface of leaves); passive process (no energy input)

Phloem: vessel to transport organic solutes (e.g. sugars); downward movement of a sugar sap; this is caused by a continual pressure gradient which forms as sugars are actively loaded at the sugar source (high pressure) and unloaded at sugar sink (low pressure); active process requiring energy input

I would probably answer that in a table with the headings : substances transported, direction of movement, mechanisms, energy input
Good answer. You could name the process in phloem as translocation or pressure flow mechanism. You should also talk about the role of water in phloem and how that causes a difference in the osmotic pressure gradient which drives material from source to sink.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
How does a plant respond in order to keep cool on an extremely hot day?
A. It grows smaller leaves.
B. It opens stomata in the leaves.
C. It grows more hairs on the surface of the leaves.
D. It decreases the number of stomata on the top of the leaves.
D? To reduce transpiration?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
D? To reduce transpiration?
To correct your incorrectness (revenge from maths :)), reducing the stomata decreases transpiration, this you are correct, but when you reduce transpiration, you're conserving water, which is what the question wasn't asking for. If you open more stomata you increase transpiration which results in a cooling effect as water gets evaporated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)