Biology marking (1 Viewer)

GanonRorf

HSC
Is it true that if you don't include a specific concept/keyword required for a lower band mark, but you include everything else necessary for a higher band, that you're limited to getting the lower band mark? (eg. 3/7 instead of 7/7 for a 7 marker)

That's how my bio teacher marks lol. I'm wondering if the HSC markers do this too cos it doesn't seem to be a problem with my other 2 sciences 😬

thanks

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it true that if you don't include a specific concept/keyword required for a lower band mark, but you include everything else necessary for a higher band, that you're limited to getting the lower band mark? (eg. 3/7 instead of 7/7 for a 7 marker)

That's how my bio teacher marks lol. I'm wondering if the HSC markers do this too cos it doesn't seem to be a problem with my other 2 sciences 😬

thanks
If something is missing from the answer then it's not possible to get 7/7 or full marks for it. However, 3/7 for one thing left out doesn't really seem like a holistic way to mark. I doubt in HSC they are going to just destroy the response for something like that. It will probably end up getting in the 5/7 range and maybe 6/7, if what is left out is just minor. What your teacher is probably doing is marking harsh so that the overall level of answers end up improving. I remember from when I did HSC, I didn't do bio but was aware of the marks there and there was a very harsh marking teacher. The top mark was like 79/100 in the trial exam and in HSC those same people ended up getting like 96 or mid to low 90s. So not really something I would be worrying about too much. Main thing about school marks is just the ranking. If everyone is getting marked harshly in the school, then it all levels out and people will still get what rank they deserve.

GanonRorf

HSC
If something is missing from the answer then it's not possible to get 7/7 or full marks for it. However, 3/7 for one thing left out doesn't really seem like a holistic way to mark. I doubt in HSC they are going to just destroy the response for something like that. It will probably end up getting in the 5/7 range and maybe 6/7, if what is left out is just minor. What your teacher is probably doing is marking harsh so that the overall level of answers end up improving. I remember from when I did HSC, I didn't do bio but was aware of the marks there and there was a very harsh marking teacher. The top mark was like 79/100 in the trial exam and in HSC those same people ended up getting like 96 or mid to low 90s. So not really something I would be worrying about too much. Main thing about school marks is just the ranking. If everyone is getting marked harshly in the school, then it all levels out and people will still get what rank they deserve.
That makes sense, thanks a lot

dasfas

HSC
If you are given an evaluate question and don't give the pros/cons, you are maxed at 5/7. Likewise with a justify question, except this time you need pros/cons/justify.

Exam technique is HUGE in Bio. I'd even go as far as to say Bio is 95% exam technique, 5% actual content. I reckon that most people getting band 5-6 have a similar amount of knowledge about bio, but the way a band 6 applies it is far better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)