Biology Olympiad - how much do I have to prepare if I want to get into the Summer School? (1 Viewer)

1234qwerty

HSC
Hey guys,
I plan to participate in the Australian biology olympiad next year, and I was thinking of preparing during this holidays. I am quite eager to prepare, however, when I look at websites such as at biolympiad- "what-are-the-best-resources-for-studying-for-the-biology-olympiad-competition", it literally says that I have to be reading AT LEAST 9 TEXTBOOKS 😱 😰 😭 !! I don't think I have time to afford that much preparation, so I was wondering if anyone has sat the biology olympiad before, and how much did they prepare / what did they prepare with? I was going to just use the past papers, but since I am only in Y10 right now, I barely know any of the content so I kind of have to use some textbooks/worksheets. So, does anyone have any advice about how much I should be preparing, what I should be preparing with, and how difficult the test really is? I'm kinda stressing out rn lol.
Thanks!

dasfas

HSC
Grind out all the past papers would be a start. Idk what textbook to use but Campbell's Biology was recommended. It might be a bit overboard though tbh, khan academy might even suffice

I got an HD and genuinely did zero study, I just rocked up on the day having gone to 3 bio classes. If you take it seriously, you should be able to ace it since there's very little content explicitly tested, it's mainly logical reasoning/graph interpretation etc..

idkkdi

HSC
Hey guys,
I plan to participate in the Australian biology olympiad next year, and I was thinking of preparing during this holidays. I am quite eager to prepare, however, when I look at websites such as at biolympiad- "what-are-the-best-resources-for-studying-for-the-biology-olympiad-competition", it literally says that I have to be reading AT LEAST 9 TEXTBOOKS 😱 😰 😭 !! I don't think I have time to afford that much preparation, so I was wondering if anyone has sat the biology olympiad before, and how much did they prepare / what did they prepare with? I was going to just use the past papers, but since I am only in Y10 right now, I barely know any of the content so I kind of have to use some textbooks/worksheets. So, does anyone have any advice about how much I should be preparing, what I should be preparing with, and how difficult the test really is? I'm kinda stressing out rn lol.
Thanks!
maybe a y11 bio book?
u don't need much theory for the national round. mainly just grind out papers and pick up all the knowledge covered in them. maybe even do all the papers like twice.

campbell is defs overkill for making camp. might be useful later on. in any case papers > pure theory, and only bother covering extra knowledge if you have time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)