Biology overrrrrrrrrrr (1 Viewer)

BumWax

Yes 11 was definetley C.

I didn't think 13 was a particularly good question either, as technically both B and D are correct, but I went with D.

14 too was a bit odd for my liking, as I don't see why all of those techniques couldn't be used, but I went for B.

And does anyone have any idea how the hell you get an answer to Q 15? I went over protein synthesis extensively in my study, but was still unable to answer that question...I guessed a), but my guess is as good as anyones!

I was also unsure about 5, but thought it looked like b)
Anyone have an opinion on that?

--insomniac--

Question 13:
My answer was B. Option D was 'The artificial selection and breeding of suitable offspring within a species'. This is F2 crossbreeding. The question asked for hybridisation which is the crossing of two pure bred, parental type, genetically different strains of a species --> B

Question 14:
I also chose B. I just deduced that answers A, C, and D were too similiar because they just describe that the platypus has features of all the different animals in the poem. So only B was able to give a measure of evolutionary relationships.

Question 15:
I chose A. DNA replication is semi conservative so a mutation may result from incorrect transciption by polymerase which will ultimately affect the whole of protein synthesis. B and D looked wrong. C cannot be wrong unless the mRNA transcribed from the DNA is already wrong (ie mutated).

Question 5:
nfi. I chose C. Just assumed that after natural selection the newly evolved strain of bacteria would continue to replicate?? =)

T-Star!

I think everyones pretty annoyed at how insignificant the questions were....there was SO much stuff that we were supposed to cover in the syllabus....and then they ask us about the most basic things!!!:(
I studied SO hard because our trial paper was impossible - so difficult! Was everyone elses really difficult? I was studying for 4 days all day this week -yuck - memorising all that DNA replication, protein synthasis stuff, and all the immune responses and T cells and B cells and malaria stuff - then none of it was asked!!!!

Who else was annoyed at the communications question on the brain???? It was barely even mentioned in my study book!:mad:
And the one on how the speech was made by different animals??????? I was so guessing!
The blood cell question I hated, but I was SO happy we didn't have to talk about Sutton and Boveri!!! I hate them! And no Mendel....or Morgan or Wilkes and Franklin.....all the stuff that most people thought would be in there. And now I guess I'm worried about scaling down..if everyone gets really high marks.....and so cross that the board of studies is reducing the sylabus for NEXT years students. But hey everyone....its over!!!!! Burn the Biology books...or we would if there wasn't a fire ban!:)

Lozza_mc

crap crap crap crap crap crap crap

hey all.
i TOTALLY agree with you all. the paper placed huge mark value on tiny little sub dot points..... wot is that. is there any way we can give the bos feedback on how SHIT alllll the exams have been. they give us this huge syllubus to learn (that they are cutting down for 2003 cos the poor lil yr 11s couldnt do wot we did) and then ask as these vague stupid questions!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
I vote we:chainsaw: the BOS!!!!!!!
good luck everyone!!!

Fry

thank you thankyou!!! that exam was great considering i hardly studied for it. i had too many exams before bio and i didnt have time to study for it cos i was concentrating on other exams. but thankyou god!!!! you have truly blessed me. actually thankyou to the people who set the exam!!! i thought i was totally gonna fail (nearly cried cos i would probably repeat)...i dont think i will but ill probably just get a pass by a whisker. i guess i just got lucky.

my option topic (communications) was alright. i didnt know anything for communcations and i was, or we all were fortunate for the graph!!!! its so awesome. i didnt study at all for communications so sucked in to you people who spent all your time studying for the eye and ear, hahaha!!! although i left out the brain question completely. the 7 mark question was bad i bulshitted all that. i think i probably failed for communications but at least i gained a few marks not a zero as i was expecting.

i also liked the 4 mark question for the random segregation, since involves a bit of maths. the kidney diagram where you mark the X and shade was cool but i totally guessed it.

the multiple choice sucked badly. i was always stumped at which one to choose since they all seemed right and we have to look for the best answer. i took ages to figure out q14 and i still dont know which one it is since they could all be right. what about questions 5, 10 and 13?? i was a bit iffy on those esp 10 so i put D.

i couldnt believe none of the B and T cells were in there, yay!!! they are so confusing and so too is the DNA crap.

overall, i didnt do exceptionally well but i probably passed and the majority of people who did study will probably get in the 80s and 90s, im sure of it!!!

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
up there next to business studies as the worst exam ive ever seen. and tell me it took anyone the full 3 hrs. was absolute bullshit FFS.

m.c answers, some i already realise are wrong :(

1 A
2 C
3 B
4 A
5 C
6 B
7 D
8 D
9 D
10 B
11 C
12 B
13 B
14 C
15 C

ive said it once and ill say it again, the BoS should give themselves an uppercut. :evilwhip: :axedeath:

HSC
Re: crap crap crap crap crap crap crap

Originally posted by Lozza_mc
hey all.
i . is there any way we can give the bos feedback on how SHIT alllll the exams have been.
why yes

clientservices@boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

i suggest u all write them and tell them so.....i did.....they even replied! "your email has been forwarded to Senior Assessment Officer - Science/PDHPE

w00+! come on everyone be loud and annoying......play nice but!

Nusrat

SCREW BIO!

BIO tests only 2% of the wretched course!!!!!!!!!they're academics who don't know anything and good for nothing other than setting wretched exams.........:chainsaw:

angel_kate

i actually thought it was a good exam. they seemed to ask the right questions.
i bummed out on the brain question in communication tho. i only drew the diagram (and i wasnt a very clear one)
i think im looking at 85-90%. yay! i need to compensate for my pathetic 2U maths result!

Terran.Sniper

YR11

Hopefully the test will be better next yr 2003 they have changed the sylibus again but put less stuff in it :) hope that will help GOOD LUCK if u have anymore exams :?

Gidge

In a word...Unbelieveable. Fortunately for me (not for him) I have the phone number of the director for the biology syllabus/exam... Its true, a third of the biology course has been cut out for 2003 how unfair is that!
The exam...well...easy as it seemed god knows how they're going to mark it, you know the BOS- pick out the pissy-est little thing and because you havnt mentioned it in your answer, you cant get the marks (even though the question had absolutly nothing to do with this 'thing') damn it, I've had a gut-full of these dickheads...
Watch out Mr. BOS biology director man.
Any comments anyone would like me to pass onto these jerks? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)