Biology Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

okayokay123

HSC
Guys, for temperature negative feedback loops, is the receptor for the stimulus thermoreceptor nerves or the hypothalamus???

okayokay123

HSC
Thats what I was thinking, but I've seen some textbooks say hypothalamus, and the question in the 2019 paper on negative feedback loops also implies its the hypothalamus

okayokay123

HSC
1637491860159.png
Also for this one the answer is A, but can't C also be an advantage as mating rituals allow an organism to be more selective of mates and choose a partner with desiable qualities?

mikrokosmos

HSC
do yall know lots about the anatomy of the male and female reprod organs? i know more ab female bc of pregnancy stuff

lily5885

HSC
Guys, for temperature negative feedback loops, is the receptor for the stimulus thermoreceptor nerves or the hypothalamus???
the receptors are thermoreceptors however the hypothalamus is part of the brain which also has receptors that receives nerve impulses from structures in the skin called thermoreceptors , which give information about the surface temperature of the body. The hypothalamus also contains its own thermoreceptors, which are sensitive to the temperature of the blood.

nini.nico

HSC
View attachment 34074
Also for this one the answer is A, but can't C also be an advantage as mating rituals allow an organism to be more selective of mates and choose a partner with desiable qualities?
to me c seems more like a disadvantage
reason being mating rituals takes a long time, like organisms would have to form a relationship etc in order to have offspring
a would be the most correct because it ensures survival for the embryo and makes sure it doesn't die due to bad environment

lily5885

HSC
View attachment 34074
yes but you have to chooose the best answer and the best answer is A because this increases fertilisation rates and continuation of species whilst mating is also advantage but its not the most suitable for creating lots of offspring

mikrokosmos

HSC
but mating doesnt involve excess energy does it? i thought external reproduction requires more energy because species must produce a large amount of gametes?
a lot of animals have like dances etc for mating so thats more energy

stressedadfff

HSC
guys do we need to know action potentials?? and like depolarisation and stuff?

theoneandonlyshrek

HSC
Thanks for clearing that up guys. One more thing, in the dot point that talks about the effect of mutation, gene flow, genetic drift on the gene pool - is gene flow the change in the frequency of alleles due to movement of populations, emmigration etc, while genetic drift is a random event that causes changes to the gene pool such as a natural disaster that is selective against a specific part of the gene pool, leading to bottleneck (only a small portion survive, making much smaller gene pool) and founders effect (sample moves to new area, not fully representing allele frequency in the original population?
yes ur absolutely correct, our teacher taught it to us like people living on an island and all that could happen to them (they could flow and mate with other populations, drift like if their island broke in half) idk makes sense in my head

sprngregon

HSC
How are you all prepping for the big Covid 8 marker? I think I’m gonna watch some videos tonight just to know how mRNA vaccines work and get some Covid case studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)