Biology Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I can see if they directly test on the dotpoint about indigenous people and medicine and patents where you would be required to bring up a hypothetical case study on that
i can already see them doing that just cos they hate us
anyways if a q does pop up just talk about the mary kay case study if yall don't know it i'll grab my notes up in a sec

Iceyscreen

HSC
i can already see them doing that just cos they hate us
anyways if a q does pop up just talk about the mary kay case study if yall don't know it i'll grab my notes up in a sec
Yess note drop pls

goodcat911

HSC
the what?? surely its not that specific... for that dot point and the other australian ones max they should ask is liek a quick 3 marker or maybe a 4 marker (given that there isnt a stimulus). anyways wouldnt it be easy bush/jelly bush honey medicine? if they ask anything more im gonna throw up on the paper and get estimate

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
can you teach me gene flow and drift and biotech plssssss
GENE FLOW - natural movement of alleles through the gene pool of a population
GENETIC DRIFT - random chance events that influence the gene pool (has a larger effect on small populations) - E.g., a group of birds migrates to an island but then a storm happens and then get stuck on the island to start a new population (founders effect - they've drastically decreased the gene pool and represent a minority of the initial population)
BIOTECH - literally any tool that we use that utilises living organisms - usually for agriculture or industry (artificial pollination, artificial insemination, selective breeding, SCNT cloning, BT cotton, Golden Rice, Gene cloning via recombinant plasmids, vaccines, etc etc)
Usually a question will ask how a named biotech will influence the biodiversity of a population: to answer this we talk about how (for example) by using artificial insemination to breed two cows that are on opposite sides of the farm, biodiversity is initially increased, because new alleles are being combined and bred to increase gene flow. However, if the same cow's gametes are used to inseminate an entire population, biodiversity drastically decreases because the gene pool is being over saturated with one specific set of alleles, and the offspring population may be more succeptable to being wiped out by a single selection pressure (as they have a common set of genes)

HOPE THAT HELPS 🤩 also people correct me if I'm wrong or made any slight errors or I can fix my responses

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Yess note drop pls
the what?? surely its not that specific... for that dot point and the other australian ones max they should ask is liek a quick 3 marker or maybe a 4 marker (given that there isnt a stimulus). anyways wouldnt it be easy bush/jelly bush honey medicine? if they ask anything more im gonna throw up on the paper and get estimate
basically they can (it's within the scope and capability of the syllabus), i think it's unlikely but just in case:

BUSH MEDICINE CASE STUDY: KAKADU PLUM
  • Kakadu plum is endemic to eucalypt forests of north Australia -> Indigenous people have used it for over 40000 years for food + natural healing properties
  • highest vitamin C content of any fruit -> antioxidant properties -> support immune system in fighting infections [good for colds, flu, headaches], gallic extracts used as antiseptic balm by aboriginals to treat rheumatoid arthritis + antimicrobial effects
  • several pharmaceutic and cosmetic companies have lodged patents to gain exclusive licensing rights to research + economic benefit from the fruit but this infringes on the intellectual property rights of the indigenous people since they've historically used it without profit
  • US company Mary Kay applied to patent the plum to use the gallic extracts from the plum to repair damaged skin and reduce collagen breakdown in cosmetic products
  • but in 2011 they withdrew their patent application due to concerns raised by indigenous representatives regarding their ongoing access and use of kakadu plum -> highlights the use of ICIP laws to protect against the exploitation of bush medicine (part of traditional culture of aboriginal people)

SASH_06_X

HSC
guys ive only done 2 past papers im so dead
do more now
look at me speaking i only did one btw 🤩 which is the 2022 one
and their paper is so ez so I feel like the nesa gods are gonna be hard on us this year
crossing fingers for 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% ----> mod 6, mod 7, mod 5 and mod 8 for tomorrow 's paper

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
do more now
look at me speaking i only did one btw 🤩 which is the 2022 one
and their paper is so ez so I feel like the nesa gods are gonna be hard on us this year
crossing fingers for 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% ----> mod 6, mod 7, mod 5 and mod 8 for tomorrow 's paper
2022 was such a good exam like i loved it so much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)