Biology Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

stormii

HSC
what's the difference between random segregation and independent assortment? which one is mostly creating variations?

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I cover this in one of my slides, so I'm just gonna past that portion in:

•Independent assortment
•Also known as random segregation
•Is the multiple different ways homologous pairs of chromosomes can line up resulting in different combinations of daughter cells
•Separate definitions
•Some textbooks and trial papers identify independent assortment and random segregation as the same process and these terms are used interchangeably
•Others consider them separate processes
•Let’s have a look at the definitions of both processes so we can understand why they are essentially the same thing
•Independent assortment says that chromosomes can line up independently of each other
•Meaning there are many possible ways homologous pairs of chromosomes can line up
•Random segregation states that chromosomes separate randomly
•Meaning can separate/segregate in many different combinations, forming many different possible gametes
•Can you see how much these definitions overlap?
•That’s why these terms are used interchangeably
•However for cases where the textbook or trial paper defines them separately
•Independent assortment is the lining up of the chromosomes. Whilst, random segregation is the separation of chromosomes. So independent assortment occurs first followed by random segregation

basically, independent assortment means that chromosomes line up independently of each other. Meaning they can line up in many different combinations. Random segregation means that chromosomes separate randomly. So they can separate in many different combinations. So independent assortment is the lining up of the chromosomes. Whilst random segregation is the separation.
I AINT READING ALLAT

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Summary of @Hivaclibtibcharkwa 's explanation:

• Independent assortment = lining up of the chromosomes ( they can line up in many different combinations)
  • random segregation = separation of chromosomes (they can separate in many different combinations.)
So independent assortment occurs first followed by random segregation

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Oestrogen - main hormone produced by the ovaries. Plays a big role in the menstrual cycle by prepping the uterus for pregnancy. Also impacts breasts, fat distribution etc.
Are there any more specifics to know? E.g. I'm pretty sure oestrogen also helps placental development??

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Are there any more specifics to know? E.g. I'm pretty sure oestrogen also helps placental development??
during pregnancy oestrogen assists with fetal development until placenta takes over + promotes breast tissue growth for breast feeding. hCG is released upon implantation of the zygote, that helps with placental development.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
during pregnancy oestrogen assists with fetal development until placenta takes over + promotes breast tissue growth for breast feeding. hCG is released upon implantation of the zygote, that helps with placental development.
im so happy for pens down at 12:30pm tomorrow i never want to have to know this ever again

nsw..wollongong

HSC
i just finished mod 8 iq1, gonna do iq2,3,4 tomrw rn im in my dgaf mood, and im going thru iq 5 BECAUSE AFNKEWJNFGEWJKNGTJOEWRHTIR WHAT ARE KIDNEYS
lmao i just have a brain dump of notes i didn't even organise them into inquiry questions i just have headings and praying that's enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)