Biology (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
More like 'Bi-lol-logy'.
Anyhow, who here does Biology? People who do Biology, in Yr11, what are your other units? (Realistic?) UAI aim? Course? Career? Aim?
Who's dropping it?

How is it taught at your school? Teaching method? What have you/has your class/has your school done in Yr11 Biology thus far? What's left?

What do you enjoy about Biology? Why?
What don't you enjoy about Biology? Why?
Do you think Biology is useful?
Why did you choose Biology (or, why are you doing Biology)?

...demographics of Biology of your class? Of your year?

Cheers.

For myself, I do [15030] because I've traditionally done, like, whatever in that, although never quite first. Honestly, I don't really know why I do Biology.
Currently, I am considering dropping it, and regretting that I even chose it, at times.
Biology at my school is taught such that it's almost a 50-50 mix of computer lab lessons, for research, and lab/room lessons.
Biology is seen as a "whities'" subject at my school, and indeed, a fairly large proportion of the "whities" do do Biology.
I think Biology is useful, from time to time; but then again, at times, I feel like dropping it (as aforementioned) due to my lack of insight and ability to perceive the hidden wonders that lie in Biology.
I am flunking Biology; that is to say that I am not coming in the top 1. And, my mark isn't 100/100.

cfair

Banned
HSC
other units as in subjects? in my profile, uai aim 96+, career - psyh possibly... nothing to do with bio but i only chose it because it was the best choice on that line.

We do 50/50 'lecture' type lessons and the other half is pracs, we do a lot of pracs... our lectures are good because it's pretty open floor and we can discuss everything/

I enjoy the disections, I don't enjoy anything else. I don't think it's useful for me, and I chose it because the other subjects on the line were geography, business studies and extension maths i think.

We have 3 bio classes, there is only one asian kid in my year so all 3 classes are 100% white. :p

beentherdunthat

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
More like 'Bi-lol-logy'.
Anyhow, who here does Biology? People who do Biology, in Yr11, what are your other units? (Realistic?) UAI aim? Course? Career? Aim?
Who's dropping it?

How is it taught at your school? Teaching method? What have you/has your class/has your school done in Yr11 Biology thus far? What's left?

Cheers.

For myself, I do [15030] because I've traditionally done, like, whatever in that, although never quite first. Honestly, I don't really know why I do Biology.
Currently, I am considering dropping it, and regretting that I even chose it, at times.
Biology at my school is taught such that it's almost a 50-50 mix of computer lab lessons, for research, and lab/room lessons.
Biology is seen as a "whities'" subject at my school, and indeed, a fairly large proportion of the "whities" do do Biology.
I think Biology is useful, from time to time; but then again, at times, I feel like dropping it (as aforementioned) due to my lack of insight and ability to perceive the hidden wonders that lie in Biology.
I am flunking Biology; that is to say that I am not coming in the top 1. And, my mark isn't 100/100.
To tell you the truth. Biology is a really easy science subject when compared to Chemistry and Physics. Most of it is theory... It's kinda weird that at your school it's seen as a 'whities' subject, that's kinda prejudiced don't you think so?

Maybe if you put your head to it and stopped considering it as out of your league you might actually ace it. And you don't really need to come first... you can take one small step at a time.

There are lots of good notes from the syllabus on this site, if you don't think that your school is giving you enough, then just take a look at them. They're really helpful :)

All in all, I wouldn't suggest you drop it. It seems like you just don't have the 'motivation' for it now. Try harder, and if it doesn't work out, than drop it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
You don't have to remember many long names in Biology, you just gotta remember formulas in Physics.

On the other hand, I wish I studied Biology instead of IPT to complete the allowed scientific study collection.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
we have like 25 people doin bio, split into two classes. My class has the better teacher though :D my subjects are in my sig, and I want a UAI of at least 95. We don't do that many pracs. Some of the contents boring as, but some is also good. Next year I'm trying to get my teacher to pick the Human Story option, cos it looks awesome.
Anyway, why all the questions?

cs01001

HSC
I don't do Biology. But Yeah, a white guy topped Biology in our grade. There are 4 classes, a good mixture of different groups.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Really interactive subject. Apart from Biology, I also do Chem, Mod. History, MX1, Adv. English and CApps. UAI aim= ~98. Courses I'm hoping to get in are Pharmacy or Veterinary Science.

It's a pretty interesting subject. Most of the theroy work is handouts and sicussions, and its pretty fun how our teacher teaches us the content IMO. There's time for laughter and enjoyment, and also for work. Pracs are fun and I reckon the only boring subject are either Plate tectonics (part of Evolution) and Ecology.

67 people do the Biology subject (3 classes). Came first :D

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
olol. bio is the lesser of the three science evils, but still massively shit.

but yeah have fun leaning about plants guyz :wave:

cccclaire

HSC
Biology is the best subject there is. And I'm aiming for a UAI above 95.
and are you saying white people aren't as smart as asians? coz I reckon thats what you're implying.

Anyways biology.
although I have to admit the ecology is just shit, the rest is real interesting.
I have the best teacher. Most of the class hates it because shes so strict, and she only accepts answers that are like 100% right and if not she says you're wrong, but it makes the subject a lot more challenging. She also gets really good results, an HSC average of 87% and 2/15 students in the top 20 students for biology in the state.
We've done most of the topics, we're just finnishing evolution of australian fauna and flora.
Most of our class time is just her teaching, but we do pracs and computer research occasionally.

if you find it so easy, why don;t you just extend yourself and learn more about each topic area. I'm doing the bio olympiad and you'll find that most of the stuff you do in class is really just touching the surface of a lot of things that are a whole lot more interesting.

Cheap Thrills said:
Next year I'm trying to get my teacher to pick the Human Story option, cos it looks awesome.
We did the whole 'the Human story' Option topic as an assignment term 4 last year. its really not that interesting, the best part is just researching the different techniques used to compare our DNA with monkeys and how close we are genetically etc.
We're doing Genetics, I hear its the best option topic.

aiz

HSC
N/A
FINISHED life on earth but in the patterns in nature exam we were asked to compare the processes of mitosis/meiosis ...

:burn:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I heard that we're going to do the Human Story next year. I would love to do Genetics :(

HSC
N/A
This post is fairly parenthetical, I know; forgive me.
cfair said:
We do 50/50 'lecture' type lessons and the other half is pracs, we do a lot of pracs... our lectures are good because it's pretty open floor and we can discuss everything/
Hm, I make the supposition that you quite enjoy such a lesson structure and Biology.
I enjoy the disections, I don't enjoy anything else. I don't think it's useful for me, and I chose it because the other subjects on the line were geography, business studies and extension maths i think.
Hm, if I were you, I'd do EM I; but you're you. I more often than not enjoy Geo and Hist, even if it's Australia-centric; though that could simply be due to my interest, or my performance in the subjects.

Thanks cfair.:)
beentherdunthat said:
To tell you the truth. Biology is a really easy science subject when compared to Chemistry and Physics. Most of it is theory... It's kinda weird that at your school it's seen as a 'whities' subject, that's kinda prejudiced don't you think so?
Scio; I know. It's kinda prejudiced of everyone (at my school), or more clearly, everyone's kinda prejudiced; don't you think so?
Maybe if you put your head to it and stopped considering it as out of your league you might actually ace it. And you don't really need to come first... you can take one small step at a time.
You're rather bold to say that.
I:
a) don't "consider it as out of my league";
b) do "put my head to it";
c) don't really need it, or so you say; I do, however, and should do well and perhaps come/tie first when I, like anyone else, capable of doing so. (Oh, I must 'come first'.:))

I don't completely suck at it.
There are lots of good notes from the syllabus on this site, if you don't think that your school is giving you enough, then just take a look at them. They're really helpful :)
Oh, I bet; but I prefer having my own notes in any case.
All in all, I wouldn't suggest you drop it. It seems like you just don't have the 'motivation' for it now. Try harder, and if it doesn't work out, than {sic} drop it.
Again, I don't fucking suck at it.:)

Thanks for your opinion(s).
f3nr15 said:
You don't have to remember many long names in Biology, you just gotta remember formulas in Physics.
(I quite enjoy theory-based subjects; hence my choosing of Physics and Chemistry, and not choosing Engineering Studies (I personally find it too hands-on; I did mediocre/okay in D+T, and the like, but hated hands-on... and material sciences).)
On the other hand, I wish I studied Biology instead of IPT to complete the allowed scientific study collection.
Haha.:p It's a bit late for regrets, f3nr15. Good luck for your trials and the HSC.:)
Cheap Thrills said:
we have like 25 people doin bio, split into two classes. My class has the better teacher though my subjects are in my sig, and I want a UAI of at least 95. We don't do that many pracs. Some of the contents boring as, but some is also good. Next year I'm trying to get my teacher to pick the Human Story option, cos it looks awesome.
Anyway, why all the questions?
Firstly, cheers for your reply.
Well, I am simply inquiring... oh, I forget.

*shifty eyes* I'm secretly a psychologist.;) 'course i'm not

Jachie said:
olol. bio is the lesser of the three science evils, but still massively shit.
Lesser of the three main sciences (that are offered by schools). (Eh, basically what I'm getting at is that there are other sciences that are offered than BCP. I don't think I'm making too much sense here.)
I don't get the "olol"... Science can't explain it; Maths can't evaluate it.
but yeah have fun leaning about plants guyz :wave:
You do realize, Jachie, that's quite an ignorant view of Biology, right? Biology is neither horticulture nor agriculture.

My Biology teacher thinks/thought that Yr11, T4 is still Yr11... oh Lordy, are we screwed.

Anyhow, thanks to all who have replied thus far; I don't take this to be the end of this thread, eh?

Last edited:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Are you calling me ignorant? How dare you. Don't you realize that my opinions are ALWAYS correct? You're only perpetuating your ignorance by being so silly to me. oh and by asking me to explain 'olol', olol. I'm not touching that one.

um yeah, and since 'senior science' is NOT a specfic scientific field and all the other ones out there are really just obscure shits that don't count in my eyes, I stand by my initial post.

Last edited:

mzduxx2006

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
More like 'Bi-lol-logy'.
Who's dropping it?

Cheers.

Particularly if you are good at memorising things but arent so good at mathematical applications, biology is the perfect subject because it just requires memorisation and understanding of key concepts from time to time.

white ferret

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
More like 'Bi-lol-logy'.
Who's dropping it?

Cheers.

bio is quite easy, which is one of the reasons why i chose it. all u do is memorise a few things and thats it. currently, my other subjects are chem, 3 maths, 3 eng, eco.. want to get 99+ for UAI to get into unsw med ^^. not paying much attentnion in class, but i think our teacher was talking about adaptations of aussie plants to dry, nutrient poor climate.. or something along those lines...

HSC
N/A
mzduxx2006 said:
Particularly if you are good at memorising things but arent so good at mathematical applications, biology is the perfect subject because it just requires memorisation and understanding of key concepts from time to time.
I'm not particularly elated when I divulge something; this time, that something will be that I do Physics and Chemistry, two subjects that require mathematics.

Thanks.:)
white ferret said:
bio is quite easy, which is one of the reasons why i chose it. all u do is memorise a few things and thats it. currently, my other subjects are chem, 3 maths, 3 eng, eco.. want to get 99+ for UAI to get into unsw med ^^. not paying much attentnion in class, but i think our teacher was talking about adaptations of aussie plants to dry, nutrient poor climate.. or something along those lines...
... I don't quite know how to respond to this, but I'll just say I do Biology for similar reasons. In fact, a lot may or may not be similar...
Also, not only do you want 'to get 99+ for UAI to get into unsw med', but you want good UMAT and interview scores.;)

So, what modules has your school done thus far?
(That's also for others, too.)

Evergreen

HSC
i hate biology so damn much. i just found out that i'm not going into a path for biology. i know HSC isn't about having fun but my class is full of dumbasses who cant shut up for even 10 seconds. i also find physics and chemistry to be easier than biology probably because biology has a huge content base (patterns in nature is a huge topic). biology scales the least out of the 3 sciences and im not even coming 1st. so thats why i'm dropping it.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
If I did do a science, it would be biology. But I don't do Biology because I thought there were many other interesting subjects.

HSC
N/A
Evergreen said:
i hate biology so damn much. i just found out that i'm not going into a path for biology.
Huh, pardon me?
i know HSC isn't about having fun but my class is full of dumbasses who cant shut up for even 10 seconds.
I hear you there.
i also find physics and chemistry to be easier than biology probably because biology has a huge content base (patterns in nature is a huge topic).
Again, I hear you.
biology scales the least out of the 3 sciences and im not even coming 1st. so thats why i'm dropping it.
Oh no, goddamned scaling...
I myself shall probably end up keeping Biology for the lulz found therein.

What school do you go to, Evergreen?:wave:

BlueGiraffe

HSC
Hey there are 60 people doing biology in year 11, so 3 classes. There's not all that much ethnic diversity at or school, and that's the same for the bio classes, but it's becasue of the sheltered nature of the 'country town'.
My other units are advanced eng, ext eng, 2Umaths, modern hist, vis arts, german beginners.
UAI aim is 95+ want to do a bachelor of arts/fine arts coures, coz i really don't know where i want to go. I was considering dropping it, but i topped it and i seem to get it so i think i'll keep it.

Well see my teacher seems to think that teaching is writing notes from the text book onto the bored and letting people throw paper areoplanes and scream. Great senior study. We haven't done a prac since Term 1. But the other classes have great teachers and I'm lucky enough to get tutoring with some other people by one of them. There is basically discssion. We're currently doing the whole evolution thing.
I chose biology becasue I wanted to do physics and biology was the only science on the line a had free...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)