biomedical combined with? (1 Viewer)

>monkey<

HSC
hey ..im thinking of doing biomedical engineering at unsw next year ..im not sure what biomed is best combined with, im thinking mechanical/mechatronic or bioinformatics but im not really sure...any comments?

and what are job prospects for biomedical?

thanks in advance!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Bioinformatic is more relevant to biomedical engineering. I think it will help out more.

I think it is a growing industry. As more research goes into artificial hearts and limbs, the industry will reflect that in the near future.

>monkey<

HSC
yeah i was initially thinking bioinformatics!...im really interested in physics, maths and especially in the medical field...do you's think that bioinformatic/biomed engineering is a good career path for someone interested in phys, maths and med?
i wanted to do medicine but realli doubt ill get in so im thinkin of alternative career paths!

shannonm

HSC
N/A
binf has alot of maths and comp stuff, and a bit of bio
not too much phys

you can do the following engo courses combined with biomed
Bioinformatics
Chemical Engineering
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Mechatronic Engineering
Software Engineering
Telecommunications Engineering

(from http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/prospect/ug/areas.htm near the bottom)

what i suggest you do is check out the course content for each of those eng programs:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/vbook/brProgramsByAtoZ.jsp?StudyLevel=Undergraduate&descr=C (C to check out chem and comp)

zkuld

newblet
HSC
Electrical Engineering/Biomed has a lot of physics and maths in it apparently, and as you would expect.

>monkey<

HSC
well ive kinda ruled out bioinformatics because it just sounds so boring coz its all about data analysis!
now im tossing up between computer/biomed or electrical/biomed.
i wanna end up in a job designing/maintaining medical devices such as pacemakes, bionic ears, artificial limbs etc. etc....but i dunno which one of these 2 courses are a better choice for that kind of job?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If your main focus is on Biomed engineering, then it doesn't matter what your other degree might be; pick one that you enjoy because you are unlikely going to be using it :D

zkuld

newblet
HSC
why not go for biomed at usyd? sure it may be harder to get into (95ish) but it sounds like the course you're after.

gman03

HSC
zkuld said:
Electrical Engineering/Biomed has a lot of physics and maths in it apparently, and as you would expect.
Totally agree. IMHO EE has much more physics than COMP ENG...
COMP ENG has more programming and less physics..
EE on the other hand... WOW! Physics and the application of it.....

However I do think studying a Major in Biology would be much more suitable to make thinks like artificial limbs etc... In the end we are not going to shuff a magnet in place of somebody's arm, are we? :p

Just a thought

zkuld

newblet
HSC
>monkey< said:
what do you guys think of a mechanical/biomedical engineering degree?
It's a good choice because from what I know, biomedical is a sub-branch of mechanical engineering. Double degrees that go hand in hand are always good ;)

>monkey<

HSC
how hard is it to keep an average of 65% or more in the first 3 years of mech eng?...to stay in the biomedical course you must keep an average of atleast 65% in your first 3 years of BE

zkuld

newblet
HSC
It's achievable, but you'll need to put a bit of work in. I'd say a credit (in uni) translates to about a band 5 (in hsc) in terms of workload required to achieve it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)