• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Birthday letters: pointless? (1 Viewer)

gollum25

HSC
I am currently doing Ted Hughe's and his birthday letters in english and i think it is one of the most pointless units i have ever studied in all my education. does anyone agree or is there just a whole concept on telling the truth that i am missing?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Do you know the context of "Birthday Letters"?

You've got Ted Hughes who's married to Sylvia Plath for seven years before he leaves her for another woman and she kills herself in 1963. Thirty-five years later he releases Birthday Letters, the only real writing he's ever done on their explosive relationship.

He'd always been seen as a cheating bastard because of this relationship but after the release of Birthday Letters it sort of redeemed him. However, it's completely subjective because Sylvia's dead and she can't say boo about it.

I didn't study this at all in high school but I'm figuring that the aspect of telling the truth lies within the context and the bias within the poetry.

champo14

HSC
One of the best topics. I don't like poems that much, but just the whole situation I find fascinating.

Do some backround reading and I think you'll realy dig it. You don't have to go and read Plath's journals or anything, but just things like her first attemp at suicide, and also how Assia (Hugh's mistress) also killed herself and her daughter.

Interesting stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)