BIT- am I a worthy candidate?!?! (1 Viewer)

mayanaise

HSC
Hey everyone,

I would like to have some of advice on whether I would have a chance to be selected for an interview- The handbook advises students to have done advanced english and 3-unit maths
....unfortunately i have been neglecting my studies prior to yr 12 and do Standard English and General Maths- although I am topping these subjects now, do you think this could disadvantage me in getting the scholorship???

In terms of work experience I have plenty ( too much work and no study), even a fantastic written reference from Hoyts,showing that i had team leading ship etc and amongst other work experience as well. Also with report cards, they ask for Yr 11 and 12 reports- I have to admit my Yr 11 report aint too good either (marks wise), it it still necessary to send your yr 11 report card in??? and just get away sending the yr 12 report card only.

What do you guy think??, opinions and advice please... thanks (sorry for the long post)

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Hi mayanaise,

I'm a first year BIT. At least in the first year of studies you will get away with General Mathematics so that's not a problem. Standard English is fine too - they probably recommend Advanced English because of the communications point of view but I doubt they will hold it against you. The reference from Hoyts regarding your team leadership skills will definitely work in your favour. I don't think I sent in my Year 11 report so if they really want to see it they will probably chase you up but they are more interested in who you are as a person fit for business and IT so you should be promoting that above everything else. Your UAI takes care of your academic side as far as the University is concerned.

S

Shuter

DJGerber said:
Hi mayanaise,

I'm a first year BIT. At least in the first year of studies you will get away with General Mathematics so that's not a problem. Standard English is fine too - they probably recommend Advanced English because of the communications point of view but I doubt they will hold it against you. The reference from Hoyts regarding your team leadership skills will definitely work in your favour. I don't think I sent in my Year 11 report so if they really want to see it they will probably chase you up but they are more interested in who you are as a person fit for business and IT so you should be promoting that above everything else. Your UAI takes care of your academic side as far as the University is concerned.
Who are you? http://www.shutez.com/cenpics/utsitcamp/nanabite/bitgroup.jpg

fatmuscle

HSC
You don't need General Maths for BIT.

You don't even need to be *that* smart any more to get into BIT.

It's lost it's concept of being elite.

And some years (after my year) have a tendency to stick with each other and not mingle around the BScITs, and act like snobs. They help no-one but other BITs, and take everything for themselves.

mayanaise

HSC
DJGerber said:
Hi mayanaise,

*SIGHS* from relief
Thanks DJ Gerber for your insight -> youve motivated me to study harder to do this course :D!!
From reading previous posts about this course( but everything is a bit "airy fairy"), is it true that you need a UAI of at least 90+ ( plus a impressive interview) to secure a place in the course or was it like from 93 and over??

Last edited:

DJGerber

3rd Year BIT @ UTS
HSC
Shuter: In this picture I am in the top row, 4th from the left.

fatmuscle; There isn't a whole lot of time for BITs to mingle with BScITs. We may share some subjects in the first semester but after that we're really doing a different course. In fact we're not even at University for a year-worth during our course while working in the industry - dropping in once a week at night for one subject which isn't in-line with our BScIT peers.

mayanaise: The amount of places they offer depends on how many sponsors they attract each year. If there are 30 sponsors then they can offer a place to 30 people. This year, they started off with 25 sponsors and gained another two a few weeks ago allowing 2 BScIT students to move into the BIT course. With the 27 BITs I believe the lowest UAI is actually 86.25 ranging up to around 98. This figure changes each year depending on the number of sponsors (places) and of course the applicants.

In my opinion, any UAI in the 80's is not a low UAI and on average BITs do perform better than other students doing the same subjects. You can have the smartest people according to the HSC with a UAI of 99-100 but if the communication skills aren’t there then they just aren’t suited to the course. The selection process uses a combination of a mark for your face-to-face interview and your UAI in order to rank you against other applicants.

So to answer your question, in order to truely secure a place, you need to score a UAI of 94 and score highly in the interview process. However that is not to say that you can't still be offered a place if your UAI is slightly lower.

Last edited:
S

Shuter

mayanaise said:
*SIGHS* from relief
Thanks DJ Gerber for your insight -> youve motivated me to study harder to do this course :D!!
From reading previous posts about this course( but everything is a bit "airy fairy"), is it true that you need a UAI of at least 90+ ( plus a impressive interview) to secure a place in the course or was it like from 93 and over??
90+ is generally the norm however applications are declining I believe so roughly 1/2 or 1/3 of applicants get admitted.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i dotn get it, if your in that photo , arent u already doing BIT?
duh!!! :cool:
he just said he's first year BIT :rolleyes:

EDIT: sasha, ur talking about mayo and the pic is about DJ

BIT is just IT isnt it ???

lol
DJ in shuter's pic u do look like ur wearing some eye make up - but not in the 2nd one :)

Last edited:
S

Shuter

mr EaZy said:
duh!!! :cool:
he just said he's first year BIT :rolleyes:

EDIT: sasha, ur talking about mayo and the pic is about DJ

BIT is just IT isnt it ???

lol
DJ in shuter's pic u do look like ur wearing some eye make up - but not in the 2nd one :)
Hahah, the one I posted is terrible and it wasn't intentional. When I looked at the pic I was like "I hope he's anyone but that guy". Hahah, looks fine in the other ones though that one must have just turned out retarded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)