BIT applications??? (1 Viewer)

auzmericans

Fancy Dress Party...
HSC
Hey guys,

I've never posted on here before, more of a reader, but yeah anway, i've kinda noticed a significant drop off of activity.... whats going on?

Aside from that, is anyone else trying to get in to BIT for 2008? because the applications are due in tomorrow and im just scraping mine in today...

GAH im so worried i wont get an interview...

EDIT: Hey yeah well I was more wondering if any students doing their 2007 HSC and are trying to get into the BIT course hang around here, other than me...

Last edited:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Activity in the IT thread seem to peak and drop seasonally.

Also, the UTS exam period just started (and will be happening during the next 3 weeks).

bradxxx

HSC
I sent mine in last week.. From what i heard at the info evening there is about a 50/50 chance of getting an interview

auzmericans

Fancy Dress Party...
HSC
Hey I just found out I have an interview on Monday! anyone else get an email?

TheBressman

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
The application process changed. It's a two-round system this year.
First round closed 13th June, interviews were in July. Second round closes 31st October.

laura56

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
auzmericans said:
Hey guys,

I've never posted on here before, more of a reader, but yeah anway, i've kinda noticed a significant drop off of activity.... whats going on?

Aside from that, is anyone else trying to get in to BIT for 2008? because the applications are due in tomorrow and im just scraping mine in today...

GAH im so worried i wont get an interview...

EDIT: Hey yeah well I was more wondering if any students doing their 2007 HSC and are trying to get into the BIT course hang around here, other than me...
TheBressman said:
The application process changed. It's a two-round system this year.
First round closed 13th June, interviews were in July. Second round closes 31st October.

Hi All,

I'm a current second year BIT @ UTS. Just to clear it up, yes the application procedures have changed this year. Early round has closed. However the second round of applications close in late October. There is no advantage to applying in the early or later round, equal chance of getting in :)

Check out http://it.uts.edu.au/course/scholarship/bit/ to download an application and for more information

Also, feel free to ask me if you have any questions :)

nexu

HSC
Hey laura56,

I would like to know the interview dates for the second round. Thanks

laura56

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
Hi nexu,

The interview dates for the second round are yet to be confirmed, however they will be in mid November. The year that I applied they were over two sessions and you could choose which suited you best. However, if you cannot attend either interview session don't just forget about it! Contact UTS and they will try their best to accommodate you.

If you need a more specific answer, try asking on the UTS Ask IT forums at http://ask.it.uts.edu.au/ current UTS students, including myself, and helpful staff members will answer your questions within a day or two :)

The most important date for you to remember at the moment is 31st October 2007, when applications close!

Hope this helps!

Laura

Last edited:

nexu

HSC
Oh okay thanks alot. Hopefully I'll be able to go on schoolies.

laura56

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
haha, i was lucky that my schoolies didn't get in the way of my interview - however, if yours does I'd recommend you use the wording that you've already planned a "holiday" rather than schoolies just to make it sound more professional :) Best of luck!

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
hmm.....random question....how many UTS BITs normally each year?....
about 20 UNSW BITs each year....
:p...never bothered with the UTS application....cos not online...+ UNSW site looks more professional + UTS is one buidling...:( + UNSW pays more....($15k next year) + UTS has a shockingly bad advertising campaign (i.e. non-existent)
...better make a run for it soon...before I enrage them too much
pity didn't see you people on the cruise...cos you sold all the tickets....
gl in interviews, or have they already past....? (psst...UNSW BIT better....nexu)

laura56

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
misdreavous said:
hmm.....random question....how many UTS BITs normally each year?....
about 20 UNSW BITs each year....
:p...never bothered with the UTS application....cos not online...+ UNSW site looks more professional + UTS is one buidling...:( + UNSW pays more....($15k next year) + UTS has a shockingly bad advertising campaign (i.e. non-existent)
...better make a run for it soon...before I enrage them too much
pity didn't see you people on the cruise...cos you sold all the tickets....
gl in interviews, or have they already past....? (psst...UNSW BIT better....nexu)
Hi misdreavous,

There are usually 25 - 30 BITS each year. (Indicating that we have more sponsor companies supporting the UTS BIT course than the UNSW BIT course).

I think your reasoning for choosing UNSW BIT over UTS BIT is very misinformed. There are actually differences between the course content at each university which could make someone prefer one over the other, other than the functionality of the website?

Although, the scholarship is more for UNSW BITs this is only because the UNSW BIT course is 4 years. The UTS BIT course is a fast-tracked course designed to get you qualified and working out into industry quickly, which would mean in your 3rd year when UNSW BITs are still get paid about $15 000 a year, we (UTS BITs) will be getting paid $50 000+ in a graduate position, with our foot already in the door of our career.

The UNSW BIT has a much stronger focus on Maths than UTS BIT. UTS BIT teaches IT from a business-oriented perspective, we are given the skills to work within the broad spectrum of IT careers (from programmer to business analyst to project leader) in which we can understand the business problems and what our clients want. UTS BIT does not have any compulsory Maths subjects :)

I wish you all the best in your interview. I hope the course does suit you.

Laura

misdreavous

Counterbalance
HSC
laura56 said:
I wish you all the best in your interview. I hope the course does suit you.
hmm...I am first year BIT at UNSW.....

laura56 said:
I think your reasoning for choosing UNSW BIT over UTS BIT is very misinformed. There are actually differences between the course content at each university which could make someone prefer one over the other, other than the functionality of the website?
I might be more informed if the UTS handbook made more sense.....lol...make a suggestion to the handbook committee...handbook must make sense to a high schooler.
Also a more professional site indicates a more professional approach to business, I am fairly sure your lecturers would expect a professional standard of work from you since you are in BIT. Just my point of view...one could argue it's just a facade...

laura56 said:
The UNSW BIT has a much stronger focus on Maths than UTS BIT.
We do 2 first year maths course and 1 stats course later..."much stronger" may be a little too strong here. And I think maths is a very important part of anyone's education, especially if you want to know how to program well.

laura56 said:
UTS BIT teaches IT from a business-oriented perspective, we are given the skills to work within the broad spectrum of IT careers (from programmer to business analyst to project leader) in which we can understand the business problems and what our clients want.
Which advertising sheet did you copy that from?...:). Can't really comment on that from a course perspective atm. Though I am sure I can probably find some UNSW co-op advertising that's word for word (replacing UTS with UNSW of course)...lol

laura56 said:
I hope the course does suit you.
Considering I wanted to do comp sci.....less business is good for me...
And from your reply I presume you enjoy your course as well...glad you made the right choice

Last edited:

laura56

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC
That's great that you're happy with your course :) just didn't think it was fair to post things against UTS BIT in a UTS forum without being properly supported.

I'm a second year UTS BIT, and I work as a Student Representative of UTS for the IT faculty so all my "advertising" speak is my own words as I give presentations and talk to high school students regularly about the IT courses at UTS :)

I haven't found the UTS handbook confusing, however I can mention this staff in the faculty as we are always welcoming feedback :)

Yes I'm very happy with my course, haven't looked back since starting at the beginning of last year!

nexu

HSC
Haha, yeah, I have interviews with both. Hopefully I will be successful for at least one :)

fraqqie

UNSW BIT Co-op 04
HSC
Hi Laura

I couldn’t help but drop my 2 cents about some of the things that you’ve mentioned about the BIT course from my university.

I just finished my 4th year in the UNSW BIT course and I have no regrets doing the extra year of university because it gives me more opportunities to explore my interests and goals for my IT career.

By having that additional Industrial Training session, I get more opportunities to gather experience from a wider variety of companies and participate in many more roles that I may not get the opportunity to do so in a graduate position. Industrial training is all about getting valuable experience and learning about the company that you’re currently working for, the industry in which the company participates in as well about your personal interests and goals. At the end of the day, it helps me make a better decision as to how i want to start my career and which direction i want to take.

If you’re very certain want you want to do within IT and very keen to making the most money, then I guess UTS BIT program is for you. But considering how many opportunities you can get within the IT industry, you might not get the chance to discover them if you ‘fast-track’ yourself.

The comment that you’ve made about UNSW BIT being more focused on maths than UTS BIT is implying that the whole UNSW BIT program is purely centred on maths which is not the case. Our program also teaches the skills and knowledge required to perform many roles within IT as well as the skill to understand a client’s requirements and business problems. You can’t single out your course as being the only course that teaches IT skills and knowledge that’s relevant to within the industry.

If anyone has questions about the BIT programs from either universities, just post them up and hopefully one of us can lend a hand. Some of my UNSW BIT mates from the lower years will start hanging out on BOS more regularly so any questions will be answered pronto!

Gl everyone!

Philip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)