• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BJusticeStud(Policing) or ADPP??? (1 Viewer)

3 years Uni or 8 months Golbourn

• 3 years

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 8 months

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
M

Mackdog

So,
Basically i want to become a nsw police officer, then in the future wish to do investigations and maybe transfer to the AFP eventually.

My queastion is should i do the 3 year Uni course, or the Goulbourm course ADPP?

i have heard that the uni course gives you preferance for promotions???

obviously i would prefer to get into the job asap.. for the money, or is it worth the 3 years study for future proofing?? :spzz:

Thanks in advance,
Robert.

djc91

HSC
N/A
I am also looking to do policing. I am a little confused though, do you know how long you will have to do Goulburn college for if you do uni first?

I read somewhere that at the last 14 weeks of your first year you do the college training then finish the last 2 years of your degree through distance education or something along those lines, is this true?

However, for you Mack, i strongly suggest you do the 3 years uni if you want to transfer to AFP. For the AFP i have been told theres an extra year in uni that you should complete if you wish to join the AFP, however that was for UWS so i am not sure if it applies to you. In any case i reckon the 3 years uni is better because i was told from a student at CSU that promotion is much easier if you go through uni first (sooner promotion i think, 3 years as probationary constable)

Sorry my answer is a bit vague, I'm in the same position at you at the moment, and if anyone can answer my question that would be great also.

Cheers,
Darren

M

Mackdog

wow someone replied! lol

yeah i believe (don't hold me to it) that;

*ADPP = 2x14 weeks with 2 weeks work exp in between then you get deployed as a probo and continue to do distance ed of the course.

* BJusticeStud = 3 years uni then the two weeks work exp, followed by the second 14 week course at Golbourn, and then i think its the same 3 years probo-distance ed.

Of course going straight in and earning money sooner than later sounds better mmm money, but from what ive been hearing on this board the BJusticeStudies offers more in the long term..

Anyways i have my early entry forms on the desk in front of me, but i better get stuck into study for the Trials... English 1&2:uhoh: :read:

djc91

HSC
N/A
Haha yeah, I've been finding it very difficult to get information on this course myself.

I've found this website from CSU, Associate Degree in Policing Practice at Charles Sturt University :: Course Structure, and from what i can gather, the ADPP is a 2.5 year course (or 3 years if you do it through distance education).

While BJusticeStud is a 3 year course, 2 years being done in uni then the following year you do a single session in Goulburn and complete the rest of your degree as a police officer. However, I've also found a BPolicing, which is through distance education only, which leaves me confused as to what the difference is between the 2 courses. Either way i will probably be doing the BPolicing or ADPP as my options are limited due to me living in metro Sydney. I will either be doing BPolicing at UWS or through CSU distance education.

I will enquire about the differences through my careers advisor, but at the end of the day they will probably be quite similar anyway. I'll keep you posted, might help you too :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)