• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Black body radiation (1 Viewer)

Akira_Tikira

I hav read all the textbooks regarding black body radiation and Plancks explanation of the quantum theory. Howveer, I cannnot find one book that explains how did he's model explained the black body curve?
Is it too complicated that we don't have to know???, The book (jacaranda) gives you all this black body experiments and then propose this incrediable theory of Plancks but does not explain how this model help to explain the experimental results.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
classical theory predicted the intensity of the EMR to approach infinity as the wavelengths decreases however the experimental results indicates that after reaching a peak the intensity decreases towards 0. This is because as each quantum of photons of EMR of higher frequencies ie shorter wavelengths contains greater amounts of energy, thus in a situation where only a certain amount of energy is dispelled, greater amount of energy per quantum = less photons, hence less intensity, or radiance as some books call it.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes i agree with john there....in the theory of classical physics the energy of the electrons would have been able to increase indefinitely meaning that there was an apparent problem...the trend seemed to suggest that the total energy would have no bound which of course we know is not true (also known as the ultraviolet catastrophe)......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)