• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Blackout threat for music thieves (1 Viewer)

goosiegoo

HSC
Gilbert1 said:
Just about every last album I have bought has been because I downloaded the bands stuff first. Got addicted to it then bought the CD
I do this too... i usually download a couple of songs - if i like the band alot then i'll buy their cd, because if i like a band i want to support them so they'll make more cds.

Alot of the bands i do really like.. i wouldn't have discovered unless i'd downloaded some of their music to hear what it was like.

But on that note... I don't really care if someone downloads top 40 music or any of that really popular stuff... but i think we should be buying cds of indie bands, and such - because without the sales they'll go nowhere.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
NTB said:
but on top of that restaurants can't even play the radio through their speakers to their customers without having to pay lol
Is that true today? Or will it become true in the future?

How I see it is: As long as radio broadcasters (both online and physical) gains more money from third-party advertisement than royalty rate, that broadcaster will stay on.

3rd-party businesses would lose almost all sales (potential buyer) if they were to switch to a broadcaster who would require listeners to pay, purely because there are almost none compared to listeners who doesn't pay.

This relationship would mean if royalty rate goes up, 3rd-party businesses who need advertising would have to pay more to the broadcaster.

The net result would be simply inflation.

Last edited:

goosiegoo

HSC
At my work (a cinema) we can't play copyrighted music at all without having to pay...

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Won't happen. Courts aren't gonna give out subpoenas like that. Consider this:

18% of Australians = over 1,000,000.

It takes a good while to trace someone, especially if they're doing a good job of it (practically impossible if they've hiding behind proxies). Even then, they can only really trace you to a specfic ISP. Also, ISPs are NOT alllowed to hand out details except to law enforcement or when a court order is issued.

Now, 1,000,000+ Australians? Hahahahaha...I laugh at the prospect of prosecuting all pirates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)