Blacktown name change (1 Viewer)

mayngo

HSC
yea that's true. save money and leave black town's name then. I never even considered it to have any relation to racism or anything like that, until I saw this thread

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
It doesn't need an alternative name. The problem lies in that person who finds something like that racist. Why should the rest of society accommodate for their shortcomings?
In itself, I feel that this is a bit too simplistic an answer/question. Firstly, society makes accommodations for minorities or disadvantaged groups, often at cost to other groups.

It doesn't need an alternative name. The problem lies in that person who finds something like that racist. Why should the rest of society accommodate for their shortcomings?
Secondly, the driver for change isn't new and there may be more than one reason for it. Racism has already been mentioned and alluded to due its origins from the early colonial era, but it has already been mentioned that a changing population may mean that people "don't associate with it". Some may find this change a pointless step too far in the direction of political correctness and imposing too much on other groups, others may find that it continues to be a continued source of internalised racism and a legitimisation of institutionalised racism. If you look at it another way, Blacktown is also symbol of the Indigenous history in that area and removing it may be seen as an attempt to ignore the area's cultural heritage. However, modernisation and a changing population in the council may mean that some might feel that the name no longer represents their values and may be an attempt to become more prominent.

Most people on this thread thought the name change was about racism, but this article doesn't mention this and appears to be talking more about increasing the prominence of the region and reflecting the modernity of the population.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
tbh I see nothing wrong with the name change, if anything it removes the social stigma in things like property investment or even a place to go

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I find it unnecessary, it doesn't offend those living in Blacktown, otherwise they would have moved.
They already have conducted several referendum to change the name.

I find that there is no reason to link the presence of the word "black" in a name of a place to racism, and in fact it shouldn't be a cause for racism.

D94

HSC
N/A
In itself, I feel that this is a bit too simplistic an answer/question. Firstly, society makes accommodations for minorities or disadvantaged groups, often at cost to other groups.

Secondly, the driver for change isn't new and there may be more than one reason for it. Racism has already been mentioned and alluded to due its origins from the early colonial era, but it has already been mentioned that a changing population may mean that people "don't associate with it". Some may find this change a pointless step too far in the direction of political correctness and imposing too much on other groups, others may find that it continues to be a continued source of internalised racism and a legitimisation of institutionalised racism. If you look at it another way, Blacktown is also symbol of the Indigenous history in that area and removing it may be seen as an attempt to ignore the area's cultural heritage. However, modernisation and a changing population in the council may mean that some might feel that the name no longer represents their values and may be an attempt to become more prominent.

Most people on this thread thought the name change was about racism, but this article doesn't mention this and appears to be talking more about increasing the prominence of the region and reflecting the modernity of the population.
I was responding to the absurd suggestion that 'whiteboard' is racist or politically incorrect. I was meant to quote the person above me - I typed that on the train.

mayngo

HSC
Blacktown is also symbol of the Indigenous history in that area and removing it may be seen as an attempt to ignore the area's cultural heritage. However, modernisation and a changing population in the council may mean that some might feel that the name no longer represents their values and may be an attempt to become more prominent.
Yea that's a valid reason for why it's name should be kept, it could lose significance of its history and meaning to some ppl. Plus it'll confuse everyone >.<

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
I was responding to the absurd suggestion that 'whiteboard' is racist or politically incorrect. I was meant to quote the person above me - I typed that on the train.
All good! :) I guess my post should be taken as more of a general response to the thread then.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Change it to an aboriginal name then. There you go, cultural values and modernization in one spot!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Nothing wrong with the name Blacktown, I thought it was funny at first, but anyone who lives in Sydney long enough understands it's not much of a big deal - it's more the area itself with a negative connotation rather then the name, and changing names isn't suddenly going to change the area or give it a more positive light etc..

I'll say this too; there actually is a significant black population living there as well, might just be a coincidence and just because it's Western Sydney Suburbs.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
It is totally unnecessary and irrelevant.
Changing the name, would just go to show that we take "political-correctness" to extremes.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say the reason behind the name change is the same reason company's change names .

To rebrand and give it another image

LG (life's good) used to bring known as lucky gold star which was knowing for having a bad rep. The rebranding saved them (but so did other factors )

But I'd say the change is pretty useless.

West Sydney sounds pretty similar to Western Sydney

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I find it unnecessary, it doesn't offend those living in Blacktown, otherwise they would have moved.
They already have conducted several referendum to change the name.

I find that there is no reason to link the presence of the word "black" in a name of a place to racism, and in fact it shouldn't be a cause for racism.
How do you know it's about racism in the first place ?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^
there wouldn't be any other push really than
connotations of racism
those who live in the council didn't want to change it at the end of year and neither would they now.
(that is why the mayor dismissed it as ridiculous)

*not an authoritative source

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)