Blade Runner and the book (1 Viewer)

ITimber

HSC
hi,

Is it worthwhile and helpful reading the book which blade runner is based on for my study "In the wild" or is it irrelevent/waste time?

thanks

princesskt

HSC
it would be helpful coz then you know what it's about and what it's in it and how it's relevant to 'in the wild' sure you can do that through other people's notes and all.. but i think it would be helpful to read it no matter how boring or crap the book.. i couldnt study a book without reading it.. i need to know what's in it and all that..

jest

HSC
my class never read the book, just watched the movie repeatedly. i guess it could be helpful if you want to understand the storyline and such, but in regard to getting more depth on techniques you'd have to watch the movie. it's not the book (and how its written) that you'd need to relate to, its the movie itself

Bowds

HSC-ified
HSC
Note that he is refering to "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" which has been retitled "Bladerunner" I suggest you read it if you have problems with the film. Also read Brave New World regardless.

DADoES is pretty good, great if you like the film, it also doesn't have Harrison Ford in it which is fantastic becuase I keep expecting Roy to do a wookie growl :(

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
jest said:
my class never read the book, just watched the movie repeatedly. i guess it could be helpful if you want to understand the storyline and such, but in regard to getting more depth on techniques you'd have to watch the movie. it's not the book (and how its written) that you'd need to relate to, its the movie itself
yeah spot on, also I heard the book and the film have some dissimilarities so just stick with the movie. But I guess you could read the book if you had extra extra time :)

yosemite sam

HSC
i wouldnt read the book as it could get a little confusing and you might start referring to bits that are in the book and not the film and lose the point of the whole thing, which is a film study not a study of the novel

rachelm

HSC
N/A
Sorry to say it again but NO. Book is irrelevant. Know the film. Besides it's the film's context you need, the film's presentation style and techniques and the film's main values - all of which are different from the book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" So save your energy for the film and BNW.
PS Buy the film.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I would also go with no, as already said chances are it would clutter your mind. Not reading it allows you to focus solely on the film and the themes that it is trying to portray.

emRkate

HSC
if ur guna stuff around trying to get a better background on the movie, or if u dont really understand it would it not be best to get a hold of the original (non directors cut) version of blade runner? in which deckard narates the storyline... there are some scene changes etc as well but wen the version we r stuck watchin was first brought out no one understood it so they released the other version insted until it became a cult classic and then the director had his way with it and doomed us to watchin it several million times.... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)