Bladerunner: What the...? (1 Viewer)

Alaranth

Ok, we watched Bladerunner. And the whole way through I'm thinking "what the hell is going on?" I couldn't even work out who was trying to kill who and why! All I got was the replicants bit, as in who was one. Except I didn't get that Harrison Ford was one. But yeah. Does anyone know the storyline etc, and wanna explain it to me? Please?

bridgett

betty's bitch
HSC
i hav an excel book on it, but we havnt studied it in class yet, so i cant sum it up for u, but there is a summary i could scan (double page) if u really need it

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
in terms of the syllabus it is about how the overuse of science and technology (for commercial control or whatever) has resulted in mans relationship with the natural world being severed. This has caused man to harden- deckard is the best example aswell as the eye motif in the opening sequence.

cimbom

HSC
Get it on DVD and analyse it scene-by-scene, write down what happens. It makes much more sense that way :uhhuh: .

mack

Banned
HSC
Kyroth said:
Ok, we watched Bladerunner. And the whole way through I'm thinking "what the hell is going on?" I couldn't even work out who was trying to kill who and why! All I got was the replicants bit, as in who was one. Except I didn't get that Harrison Ford was one. But yeah. Does anyone know the storyline etc, and wanna explain it to me? Please?

The main thing you're looking for is how science and technological pursuit have led to a regression of humanity. You never find out if Deckard is a replicant or not, it's left up to the interpretation of the viewer. Actually, theres a hidden meaning in the title "Blade Runner"-Deckard runs the knife edge between humanity and artificiality.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
You really dont need to know the storyline...you can base your whole essay on the opening sequence (i did and got HSC mark 94). Just say about the symbolic imagery....the Sun being an ancient aztec symbol of fertility, which has been polluted by the rise in technologies (symbolised by the poluted haze which covers the sun).
Also, Tyrell Corps. tower is shaped like a ziggurat. The ziggurat is another symbol of Aztec fertility--a phallic symbol, and the idea is that technologies have altered traditional concepts of sexual reproduction, hence disrupting natural rhythms etc.
Link this to a few concepts and totalitarianism, and you are set.
It is all bullshit...but it is so far fetched that the examiners love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)