Bmw z4 (1 Viewer)

lifequest

HSC
I really like this car and parents have agreed to upgrade my Toyota Aurion ZR6 to the BMW Z4.

I'm looking at the base model s23i but would like Sat Nav.

Photos:
http://www.bimmer.ir/blog/images/stories/bmw/Z4/2009-bmw-z4-wallpapers-41.jpg

http://images.mjmi.com/new400/BMW/2009_Z4_BLACK.jpg

The s23i is quoted at ~$80,000 automatic (base).
Does anyone know how much extra Sat Nav would cost? I can't find this information anywhere. Trying to get a base knowledge of approximate costs before I start going through the show rooms infested with deceiving car-salesman.

Any thoughts? Or do you have a better car around the $70k-$100k mark (my budget). I've considered the Audi TT and Mercedes equivalents but have still decided on the BMW Z4- convince me otherwise?

Thanks!

lifequest

HSC
LOL at GIANT PINK SIG
+1 rep.

Re-rich...
We're not :(

The BMW site is useless, so hard to navigate with little information.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
You must be... Not many people I know could afford to upgrade their son's Aurion to a Z4, or even buy their son a brand-spanker.

Edit: Of any model car.

Last edited:

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I've heard the holden barina is a pretty good car, maybe have a look at one of them.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Seriously do not buy a z4 with an automatic transmission.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
They are great at cornering, and cornering works with manual. Auto has no idea what gear it needs to be in = Shit cornering.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I really like this car and parents have agreed to upgrade my Toyota Aurion ZR6 to the BMW Z4.

I'm looking at the base model s23i but would like Sat Nav.

Photos:
http://www.bimmer.ir/blog/images/stories/bmw/Z4/2009-bmw-z4-wallpapers-41.jpg

http://images.mjmi.com/new400/BMW/2009_Z4_BLACK.jpg

The s23i is quoted at ~$80,000 automatic (base).
Does anyone know how much extra Sat Nav would cost? I can't find this information anywhere. Trying to get a base knowledge of approximate costs before I start going through the show rooms infested with deceiving car-salesman.

Any thoughts? Or do you have a better car around the $70k-$100k mark (my budget). I've considered the Audi TT and Mercedes equivalents but have still decided on the BMW Z4- convince me otherwise?

Thanks!
1. I am surprised BMW took price lists off their website. Basically BMW always has two levels of satellite navigation- Business and Professional. These vary in price depending on model but for the Z4, I think you will be looking at around 3-4k on the base model price for the first level of satnav, and another 2k on top for the higher spec. Difference is screen size and a few extra features (e.g. TV capability).

2. The s23i will be slow and definitely not value for money. In this price bracket I would rather a 370z if I was in the market for a coupe. Test drive that and see what you think :) On the plus side at least with the BMW you get badge appeal... but IMO the only people impressed by a base model Z4 are people who don't know much about cars. In other words, its a bit of a hairdressers car.

3. At least the Z is better than the SLK. SLK is the ripoff of the class at the moment with a 2000cc engine with a supercharger for $80k? Get real. It's also an old car atm until a new model comes out.

Conclusion: If you are set on a 2 door 2 seat coupe, check out 370z. Other cars might be available if you are willing to spring a bit more such as a Boxster or an A5. The TT is alright (back seats useless) but again, for the price of the s23i I think you will be looking at a 2L low powered turbo.

It all depends on what you want really. I wanted performance over looks hence why I disregarded the TT and Z4s etc... and I also wanted a bit of practicality with 4 seats rather than 2.

ps. If your parents are the ones paying for your car, you are going to get laughed at when you drive it to uni. I'd reconsider on this fact alone lol.

pps. The 370z may not be applicable if you are on P plate restrictions or whatever the equivalent is in your state. Also consider insurance costs for someone your age will be very high.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The TT is also slightly...

Gay.
I think other people laughing at you because your parents bought you a luxury car is a more pressing point.

Seriously though, how much have you driven (since your profile indicates you are 20 years old)? If you are still relatively inexperienced, there is no point buying a new German car which is great for high speed stability and chassis balance if you won't appreciate it.

lifequest

HSC
Thanks for the info Seremi.

I don't like the look of Audi TT or Merc, less so the 370z.
Drive frequently since 16. So 4 yrs?
I'm not a brilliant driver. But decent. No accidents yet? Haha.

Two mates have Lexus is250 and one just bought a Merc C class.
Here I am driving my Aurion next to those...

What about the s30i? It's only $8k-$10k more. I think I can muster the extra. Will ask the powers that be.

philphie

Banned
HSC

What about the s30i? It's only $8k-$10k more. I think I can muster the extra. Will ask the powers that be.

yeah not rich my fucking ass.

seriously you will look like a fucking cockhead in a bmw z4 or any kind of Audi these days.

seeing how you're a dentist student, meaning you most likely will be a dentist, you will probably feel most at home in a nice, safe, cozy volvo station wagon with all the other soccer mums.

yes, i am anit-dentite.

lol merc c class owners are for those who want in on the amg black sl club.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Well, if you are buying on appearance alone (this is very much a 'hairdresser' or 'poser' thing to do... other guys will think you're a douche) then the Z4 is great. From what I've heard having not driven the new one, it's a far more forgiving and easy to drive car now than what it was before. BMWs are awesome and I am a huge fan of the iDrive interface and the general design. However be warned that anyone who knows anything about cars will know you that know nothing.

As for your mates with the IS250 and C-class (both sub $60k cars)... So it's a competition of who's parents are the richest (or most generous)? On the presumption that your parents are going to be paying for everything (i.e. petrol, insurance, etc) I guess the s30i would be fine- don't think it's restricted and at least you get a great engine and decent performance.

But seriously though, to anyone who knows about cars, or is a normal student in your course, they're going to laugh at you. Even in Commerce, the kid who's parent bought him a BMW is the talk of the town. If you want to avoid this image buy a good 'normal' car e.g. Golf GTi (or even the Golf R32 if it was still available), etc... buying something with a brand image attached is asking for it. Even your mates IS250 and C Class are borderline of okay. Just my 2c because I went through this thought process not long ago when trying to buy my next car and avoided all the luxury marques because of the stigmas attached to someone my age buying one even if it's with my own money.

Back on topic, you won't be disappointed if you buy the Z4 especially if you've never been into high performance vehicles and are more caring of the appearance than any other aspect of car ownership. It's a bit sad that you won't really appreciate the BMW's balance (it'll feel like a faster and better grippy version of your Aurion I suppose, but in the base model engine, it won't be spectacular), but that's your choice. It's not a track car nor is it trying to be- it's just an attractive/stylish looking way of getting from point A to point B.

Also, are you not concerned about parking or practicality of the Z4's 2 seater configuration? (although this does prevent you from having to drive the gf's parents or friends!)

Sorry for dwelling on the parents/social aspects. I've seen it at uni and I've seen it at work when someone's parents buy them a car and they get laughed at.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah not rich my fucking ass.

seriously you will look like a fucking cockhead in a bmw z4 or any kind of Audi these days.

seeing how you're a dentist student, meaning you most likely will be a dentist, you will probably feel most at home in a nice, safe, cozy volvo station wagon with all the other soccer mums.

yes, i am anit-denti.

lol merc c class owners are for those who want in on the amg black sl club.
Unnecessary much?

And I don't mind the new C Class. Even the lower spec models are pretty decent. Not a huge fan of the interior which feels a bit cheap with lots of greys and plastics compared to the CF trim or wood of the rivals, but performance is okay for the price (of a luxury car). This isn't taking into account the C63 which I actually admire a lot atm.

lifequest

HSC
Lol at Philphie.

I'd love my son to play soccer! Yes I'd love the Soccer mum image thing as well.

Back to the point.

Yeah Serem. The only thing preventing me from getting it "NOW NOW NOW" is because of the unfair stigma.

I don't want a Japanese or other Asian built car, I've got one already. I'm a car fanatic as well so I've looked at my options within my budget. If I had the money, I'd get the Audi R8 (because it is sexy), I know there are other cars that can RIP it to pieces for about $50k-100k cheaper.

I mean, re-other comments about AMG etc. WELL DUH! But AMG is what? $200k mark. The Merc C class is $65k+. If everyone thought like that, why would Mercedes even make a C class model?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)