• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

bnw qq (1 Viewer)

symo

HSC
with bnw context n its links in the book

WW1 correlates to the Great War
Great Depression correlates to ____?

cheers Adam

destroyx

i don't think there is anything explicit in correlating to the great depression.

i think though, the effects the great depression had on peoples attitudes in general and in science and technology effected huxley's view and therefore BNW.

*there was great interested in Eugenics. an idea that you could regulate the economy and population so there would be no poverty etc.

*the want for stability. totalitarianism, or any form of non-conservative government are popular in times of poverty... huxley satirises this want to the extreme.

i'm sorry, i answered your question quite badly. but you probably get what i mean? it's significance is in what effects it had on people's attitudes. i'm in frontline mode at the moment, i'd better start revising BNW, it's on wednesday! argh!

kieransgirl

um what is said about is really right. huxley exposes the dangers of trying to control humans natural rythms ( suppression of individuality and freedom)
totalitarian states were sprouting at the time Huxley wrote the novel. Due to WW1 society was in a state of poverty and dissillusionment. they clung to totalitarian powers for the 'order, security and employment' they promised. the totalitarian regimes used propaganda (similar to conditioning) and brutual force for anyone who rebelled against them (threatening to send Bernard away for expressing individuality)

hope that helped! im doing it right now so if u want ne more answers, just ask

symo

HSC
thanks for the help ppl. im pretty sure i remember the dhc or mond talkin bout the old times..the great war n something that correlated bout depression...doesnt matter anyway..but if someone remembers that would be good...it could have been in the foreward maybe?
cheers Adam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)