• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Board of Studies Helplines (2 Viewers)

V

val_dramaqueen

how slack!!

you know those phone lines you can ring for a bit of help for your subjects for the almighty HSC???

NO DRAMA LINE!

just a tad slack... im a bit devo!
then again.. i am a bit of a dramaqueen tee hee hee :rolleyes:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Lemme say, I was shitty too!

But rather than running around with our arms in the air screaming about how we got left out (AGAIN) - I know this has something to do with rural schools :p.. jk - lets start our own helpline

So, any questions, POST them here, lets try and help eachother out. I'll start, how long should Cont Aust Theatre essay be?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
ok, i do bush & theatre (as u know :p) but im assuming our essays should be 2-2.5 pages typed...NO more coz u only get 45mins! thats about 10-11 paragraphs typed.

I'm pretty sure that's right

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'd say around 1400 word for count Australian. The thing is, unlike for english you can't prepare a drama response, you just crap on. :rolleyes:

What you do prepare is really just quotes/techniques/ways of adapting the play/some stuff on staging and a few workshopping experiences. I really haven't studied for drama, so itd probably be a good idea for me to do some syllabus whoring soon, im not sure exactly WHAT they ask for in contemporary Australian :p.

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
hm...I think u can prepare an essay for drama the way u do in english. You write one that talks about everything - staging, setting, contexts, themes, characters, module link, etc - basically everything u've learnt all year stick it into an essay, memorise it and regurgitate it depending on the question.

It's always worked for me...but that's just me :p

V

val_dramaqueen

anyway, on topic.... really, whenever i write essays, they're normally about 10 pages long... but then again, i write in double size and have a gap between each line

so... really... it's up to how fast your writing, how big your writing and how big the gap is between the lines lol

but damn i wish we had longer to write the essays!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
45 minutes is about enough for what i need to say in cont aust. BUT with Studies in drama and theatre i need twice as long! fucking meyerhold!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
I know it's extremely hard to talk about all three texts in detail. that's why i kinda just do it thematically (i.e the points of absurd drama) then talk about how each play uses these techniques and their effect. But I don't know anyting about Meyerhold (except that he was executed :p ).

V

val_dramaqueen

Will_Sparky said:
45 minutes is about enough for what i need to say in cont aust. BUT with Studies in drama and theatre i need twice as long! fucking meyerhold!
damn straight! except, not meyerhold. i do absurdist.. but i need twice as long for that. so much info! so little time!
aussie is ok though, i don't have much to say for it anyway :D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I do American. Our teacher seemed to know nothing on Desire Under the Elms, which has made creating an entire half an essay on it harder than usual :rolleyes:

V

val_dramaqueen

grk_styl said:
how often do u guys talk about how u workshopped scenes??
not a lot... maybe just to refer to something. like if I quote from bald prima donna about the last scene which we did in class, i say "in class when we workshopped this scene, we did this and this and this and it made the audience do this and this and this." on to next paragraph and completely making the whole workshopping paragraph seem irrelevant... but in fact it';s not...

so in answer to your question, not a lot.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
thanks for that val. I've mentioned workshopping a couple times in my absurd essay, now I just have to add in the workshops for bush and city.

Another question..ok, I'm doing Summer of the Seventeenth Doll, now do I honestly have to write out that title EVERY SINGLE TIME? Can I shorten it to "The Doll" and mention it in brackets in my intro???

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Jem, thats fine, Just make sure you underline the title. I.e. mine goes from Running up a Dress in intro and conclusion, to Running in the body.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
are all of you including workshop things into your essay?
is it really relevant? i mean, if we dont include any, do you think we'll lose marks or something?
doing contemp. but i havent included any workshop info. i just thought there was no point.
and meyerhold's a bumlicking monkey doo-er who should just go sit on the queen.

V

val_dramaqueen

Originally Posted by grk_styl
Another question..ok, I'm doing Summer of the Seventeenth Doll, now do I honestly have to write out that title EVERY SINGLE TIME? Can I shorten it to "The Doll" and mention it in brackets in my intro???
well, i always have somewhere in my intro something like this:

...as seen in "Summer of The Seventeenth Doll" (doll) by Ray Lawler blah blah....

and then from there on in, i always just write Doll.
Same with absurdist stuff or whatever:

...as seen in Waiting For Godot (WFG), The Dumb Waiter (DW) and The Bald Prima Donna (BPD)

and then from there on in, i always just write wfg or dw or bpd....

Originally Posted by aLeeOh!
are all of you including workshop things into your essay?
is it really relevant? i mean, if we dont include any, do you think we'll lose marks or something?
doing contemp. but i havent included any workshop info. i just thought there was no point.
well... as someone once told me ( i think it was grk_styl), it helps a bit when they mark you to have a quick reference to a workshop you've done, even if it's just to back up a quote or a point you're trying to make. It just makes the markers see that you've kinda thought about what you've been doing in classes and not just "doing" them.
if anyone thinks this is wrong, please correct me, please. I've had to teach myself everything in drama due to dumb/inconsistent teacher... gahh!!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Al, I've got one workshopping expereince for Running up a Dress, it was to do with my groups performance for that assesment task and the statement that it made. I think the one you did for Seven Stages should work, about how you wanted to keep a similar structure to the play, emphasise the issues at heart, just a passing reference, like an historian in an essay.

With Meyerhold, I don't think there are many we did, maybe when we put together our own "biomechanics" performance building the campsite and how we used the skills of biomechanical actors, the difficulties we faced... etc. etc. etc.

If your having issues call me... I think your one of our only shots for a band 6 :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)