• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

board of studies rejecting my proposal (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Im wondering if anyone can help me out here. for my BOW im doing nude photography, all my models are over 18, and identity will be concealed. Annoyingly the other day when my teacher called the board of studies they said that nudity in photography in the art major work is not accaptable and as a result my work may not be marked if i decide to continue on with this idea.

My teacher is a weak shit who is reccomending i just change my work and not piss them off, but im very passionate on the subject, have already done the majority of my research and am wondering why im being discriminated against.

What i cant understand is that i have seen many photographic works in past Art Express books that contain nudity on a far more explicit level than what i plan to do, so how come theyre deciding to just all of a sudden change their minds for me?

if anyone knows whats actually going on here, id appreciate some help cuz my teacher really isnt helping.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
but ill be 18 by the time its marked so that dosnt make sense

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
the body as a tool for the mind, its not gonna be very revealing, maybe just a bit of tit here and there

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Board of Studies NSW said:
Audiences for submitted works
When developing performances and projects, students should be conscious of the various audiences for their work. Although a project or work may be developed with a particular audience in mind, there are other audiences who need to be considered.

A principal audience for any HSC work is the marking team who, as experienced teachers, have been exposed to a wide range of styles and expressions in their discipline, and understand the nature of the subject and the medium. It is not expected, however, that markers should be confronted by works and performances that the general adult community would find offensive. Supervisors of Marking bring to the Board’s attention any examination responses that contain frivolous or gratuitously objectionable material. Candidates are required to address the published marking guidelines and ensure that the chosen form and medium are appropriate to the nature of the work.

Schools may decide that works developed for the HSC will be presented for public
performance or display. Principals must be assured that the works presented are appropriate to the understanding and expectations of the audience and their cultural sensitivity. Consideration could be given to modifying or withholding certain works from general public performance or display.
Hmm from reading above I get the impression that "the general adult community would not find [it] offensive" then it should be fine. Of course, if your work was not considered sutiable for younger audiences, it would just mean that your work would not be able to be put on showcase. But thats not to say you cannot submit it and get marks for it.

If I were you I would take the following extract, (which was taken from http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/advice_hsc_performance_05.pdf) and show your teacher. See what they have to say. See if they will consult the Board on your behalf. Remember you want your teacher on your side. If your teacher will not then ask the head teacher. Remember, you can always ring up the Board yourself and ask them directly.

------

Board of Studies said:
In selecting works, the Board of Studies is mindful of certain principles that underpin
the national classification code for film and literature:
• minors should be protected from material likely to harm or disturb them
• everyone should be protected from exposure to unsolicited material that they find offensive
• it is necessary to take account of community concerns about depictions that condone or incite violence, and any portrayal of a person in a demeaning manner.

Works may not be considered suitable for showcase events if they contain the following elements:
• offensive language, that is, language likely to cause outrage or disgust;
• violence, either real or perceived;
• references to the use of illegal drugs;
• sexual references or nudity;
• themes considered inappropriate for a general audience.
----

9.3.1.2 Advice to schools regarding content of performances and submitted
works

For guidance to schools to assist in ensuring that teachers and students give considered thought to the content of works submitted to a public examination that is expected to take into account broad community standards, refer to ‘HSC Performance and Submitted Works - Advice to Schools Regarding Content’ on the Board’s website (www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au).

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
yea, ive read that document, ive given it to my teacher and hes still being a dipshit about it, the head teachers are prettymuch at the same level as him. i spose i will have to go directly to the board of studies. what i dont get is that if its not allowed to be showcased, how come other works similar to mine have been included in art express exhibitions?

thanx neway - board of studies is shit

me121

Premium Member
HSC
-may-cat- said:
yea, ive read that document, ive given it to my teacher and hes still being a dipshit about it, the head teachers are prettymuch at the same level as him. i spose i will have to go directly to the board of studies. what i dont get is that if its not allowed to be showcased, how come other works similar to mine have been included in art express exhibitions?

thanx neway - board of studies is shit
Perhaps they are more subtle than what you are doing? I don't know. Perhaps not, in that case use this as evidence.

If you are still aggrieved, just give the Board a call (you could send an email, but sometimes they can take a while to reply. e.g. I sent an email once and it took about 1 month to reply, compared to a phone call which took 1 min, compared to a mail letter which took 3 months.). I know I have called them about 5 times now, mostly following up complaints, but they are nice people and will try to answer your questions. Just call them and state what you want to do, and that they previously said you cannot, and state the evidence (artexpress and documents) that you believe comply with what you are wanting to do.

Although, doing this may or may not piss of your teacher. And when you are doing your hsc you always want your teacher on your side.

In any case even if its not suitable for art express, that does not mean that you can't submit it as your major work.

HSC
the board can be hypocritial dipshits when they want to. if you dont get an answer out of them that is satisfactory then id suggest altering the subject (rather than the idea) a smidge so that it complies. for example instead of having them posing completely nude have some cloth or something that covers them up a bit. its a small addition that could ultimately add to the quality of the work without taking away from your idea.

that or give the board the metaphorical finger and submit the work anyway. but then you could run the risk of not having a mark, which is the only problem. it ultimately all depends on how much detail your teacher went into when talking to the board. if he didnt really describe your concept then it is probably a miscommunication. the easiest thing to do to get proper clarification is talk to someone from the BOS yourself so that you can describe your work in your own words and have all your questions clarified.

champion idea though.

Last edited:
HSC
mr_brightside said:
hahahaha. just wanted to highlight her stupidity.
stop being a dickface.
every post ive entered that you have posted a comment on is either an insult or a slag at the person posting.
she is only asking for other peoples advice so where do you get off on insulting everyone whos page flashes across your computer?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cherry.blossom said:
stop being a dickface.
every post ive entered that you have posted a comment on is either an insult or a slag at the person posting.
she is only asking for other peoples advice so where do you get off on insulting everyone whos page flashes across your computer?
I agree. I want to glue his both hands on his mouth so that he cannot even use his mouth to insult anyone. Another reason to do so is that he cannot post any insulting posts.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
cherry.blossom said:
stop being a dickface.
oh thats so hot. your so angry. Tell me I'm bad. I'm almost there...

champo14

HSC
cherry.blossom said:
stop being a dickface.
Well, it is a pretty stupid thing to say...

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
lyounamu said:
I agree. I want to glue his both hands on his mouth so that he cannot even use his mouth to insult anyone. Another reason to do so is that he cannot post any insulting posts.
ahahahaha ^____^

dw angry woman 1.

I came from loling.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
you ppl spend too much time on the internet...
thanks for the constructive advice, next time i say something that might not sound too correct ill remember to pray harder to be as perfect as other people

tangotrace

SUPER HERO
HSC
yea i totally understand ay... i had to find a way around the nudity that was going to me in mine... my whole artwork wasn't based around it though... was just a visual tool in it. to show 'vulnerability'... opted for this see through nighty thing... very innocent but still revealing etc. :) but yea, i understand your sitch :S

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
tangotrace said:
yea i totally understand ay... i had to find a way around the nudity that was going to me in mine... my whole artwork wasn't based around it though... was just a visual tool in it. to show 'vulnerability'... opted for this see through nighty thing... very innocent but still revealing etc. :) but yea, i understand your sitch :S
that was a loooooooong time ago...

it worked out ok though, i did portraits instead which turned out much better then my nudes did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)