Bohr's postulates: should u know the ORDER? (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
The order is not neccessary nor is the number of his postulates. You just have to know what they are and what they mean.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The postulates were like "dot points" neither the order nor the number matter (unlike Newton's laws) as long as you know the content.

stag_j

i'd tend to agree with you all, except from memory my textbook makes references to the third postulate, etc.
but in an exam i'd guess that order isn't important

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I never thought that order was important, check out the 'purple hue' site or whatever its called, the one linked from the main physics thread, and it says order isnt important.

However, the question from the 2001 catholic trial said:

Q30: B: ii)
a: State Bohr's third postulate.
b: Show how de Broglie matter waves confirmed this postulate.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I remember doing that trial paper during my HSC - we were told that Bohr's third postulate depended on which textbook you read, and such an ambiguous question wouldn't be included in an HSC exam.

huck fenn

It was a consequence of the first two postulates. For that reason some people prefer not to call it a postulate itself, while others do because it is very important anyway. My textbook says that it is only 'sometimes' considered a postulate, but is important anyways.

But that question is very hard! Doesn't it involve a whole lot of crazy maths? There are about 4 pages of maths in the textbook about the third 'postulate', i hope its not necessary to replicate all of that stuff...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)