bonus points for actuarial studies (1 Viewer)

QuLiT

HSC
hey, i read somewhere on the ANU site about bonus point if you do well in maths and english. does this apply to actuarial studies??

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yeah i dunno, might need to give the others a little more than 2hrs to respond. ;)

QuLiT

HSC
yeah sorry, english study makes me impatient-_-"

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
yes but i wouldn't consider it. actuarial studies is an absolutely insane degree by 2nd year, so if your UAI isn't touching on 100, you may have trouble (let alone getting a UAI of <95). also if you do acturial studies you'd want to aim to be in the top 20% of your year so you can get into honours (if you don't, you cannot become a qualified actuary).

usually those who own at actuary are those weird antisocial international students who spent 10 hours a day studying.

QuLiT

HSC
nah, i like maths and am generally good at it, im just worried about my english dragging my uai down, thanks for the info

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
jas0nt said:
yes but i wouldn't consider it. actuarial studies is an absolutely insane degree by 2nd year, so if your UAI isn't touching on 100, you may have trouble (let alone getting a UAI of <95). also if you do acturial studies you'd want to aim to be in the top 20% of your year so you can get into honours (if you don't, you cannot become a qualified actuary).

usually those who own at actuary are those weird antisocial international students who spent 10 hours a day studying.
you just scared the crap outa me.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Sammy_blue would know a lot more about this than me (as he does this degree). But from my understanding if you don't get into honors (or was it a minimum credit average?) you have to sit a different set of exams after you've done your degree in order to get accreditation as an actuary.

QuLiT

HSC
i think taht by doing the degree you get qualification as an actuary, but if you do honours or do the seperete exams, you increase salary etc.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
Well to become an "Actuary" (fully qualified = Fellow of IAA) you have to do three sets of exams (Parts I, II and III).

My understanding of the ANU system (i go to Macq) is that you complete Part I through your normal degree, then to do Part II you have to do honors. Obviously you can complete any or all the Parts outside of Uni through the Institute of Actuaries.

So yea, it's no big deal if you don't get into honors to do your Part II, as you can do that externally whilst working.

Part III is done externally (while working) by everyone, but I think Macq are going to introduce postgraduate courses for this soon (no idea when though).

Sammy-Blue

HSC
To clear things up, you DO NOT have to complete honours for part II reqs. it is the fastest way. At ANU this requires a distiction grade (minimum) in the 3000 level compulsory subjects (there are 8 in total, I assume that these each grant exemption from a particular Part I exam).

For those who lack the ability (or motivation) to compete for places in honours (assuming they are limited), there is a masters available provided you achieve above 65% in the final two years. Either way "P's get degrees" doesn't really apply here. Although I actually prefer the masters degree to the honours.

QuLiT said:
nah, i like maths and am generally good at it, im just worried about my english dragging my uai down, thanks for the info
Good = ?, you'd want to be look at close to full marks. Also, liking maths has nothing to do with anything. You will stop liking maths after the first maths course you do, I gurantee it (if you don't you either; a) don't speak english, b) have no friends, c) failed)

ecokid101

HSC
jas0nt said:
yes but i wouldn't consider it. actuarial studies is an absolutely the top 20% of your year so you can get into honours (if you don't, you cannot become a qualified actuary).
Complete bullshit.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
ecokid101 said:
Complete bullshit.
what do you know about actuarial studies? i think having half my mates in their third year of the degree, i'd know a little more about it than someone who's yet to finish their HSC. :rolleyes:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
jas0nt said:
what do you know about actuarial studies? i think having half my mates in their third year of the degree, i'd know a little more about it than someone who's yet to finish their HSC. :rolleyes:
They are. The institute has on its website the courses you can take for Part II (i.e. what honours covers) and it is NOT the only option.

xclo

HSC
Actuarial studies really isn't that insane as most ppl make it sound. it requires a lot more effort than other commerce subjects but the standards to get part I exemptions from what i've experienced seems to be set pretty low.

In my opinion, if you're good at maths and want to make lots of money, then do actl studies. if u're passionate about maths, then srsly, u would really be better off just doing maths. the "maths" taught is actl not only lacks rigor but chucks of it are incomplete, which can make it really frustrating sometimes. most of the time, u're simply learning how to apply formulas rather than doing real maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)