Bonus points: Rural and High subject score (1 Viewer)

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I have a few questions.

Is ANU one of the Universities that gives students an extra 4 UAI points because i lived in a rural area? This is apart from applying for EAS.

I know that you get bonus points for going well in Maths, and Maths Ext 1 for Engineering. Does anyone know what scores they consider in handing out these extra points?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The 'rural bonus' is obtained through EAS. If you are eligible for EAS you recieve five bonus points.

The only other 'bonuses' are those for 'applicable subjects' which are just used if you fall short of the cut-off. eg say you get a UAI of 80 however need one of 85 then if you beg and point out that you did well in applicable HSC/College subjects then they may accept you.

None of these bonuses occur automatically - you must apply for (and be approved EAS) and you must beg for all others.

lilkatie

could you get into arts/law on 92.7
cos i got 97 and wanna do it but my friend got 92.7 and wants to do it..and ill be so cut if she gets in cos its degrading to me lol (saying that in the nicest possible way)...we live in a rural area pls tell me anu doesn't give 3 extra points

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
*Katie* said:
could you get into arts/law on 92.7
cos i got 97 and wanna do it but my friend got 92.7 and wants to do it..and ill be so cut if she gets in cos its degrading to me lol (saying that in the nicest possible way)...we live in a rural area pls tell me anu doesn't give 3 extra points
If you were able to construct a proper sentence, I'd call you an elitist. If she applied through EAS, it is likely that she would have received 5 extra UAI points.

lilkatie

neo_o said:
If you were able to construct a proper sentence, I'd call you an elitist. If she applied through EAS, it is likely that she would have received 5 extra UAI points.
haha true, that was a poorly constructed sentence.
No she didn't apply through EAS

hangerm5

HSC
EAS gives the five bonus points automatically to any student from a school that recieves Country Area Program or Priority Schools funding so if your school recieves either of those both you and your friend will recieve the bonus points whether you applied or not.

My personal opinion (not that you asked but I am going to give it anyway) is that schools that recieve this funding are deserving of bonus marks as they are limited in the facilities and resources they can provide for their students. If the Uni Admisions Centre judges that students from these schools are disadvantaged up to 5 points through EAS because of such cirumstances that are beyond their control than they should be awarded without hesitation.

That said, being in a rural school does not exlude you from success without these points. My school had less than 200 students this year and was very isolated taking in students from up to 2 hours away. I got a UAI of 90.9 and am very pleased given a lot of people said I wouldnt be able to do well in such a small school. With the consideration that my circumstances prevented me from succeeding by 5 points I too could be accepted to Arts/Law. fortunately Katie I dont want to do arts/law so I wont be taking your place. I understand your frustration on this issue but please consider it from this perspective as well, just think if your positions should be reversed and you had the 92 UAI. I am sure you would want the points. Congratulations on such a wonderful mark. It pleases me to see that you have done so well in a rural area.

foxcahuna

HSC
hi, i have EAS and was successful. SO does that mean i can get up to five point. Cause i got a UAI of 64.50 and the course i want to get in require a UAI of 67.00 (B Environmental science).
With EAS, i can make it in right?

Thanks

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
foxcahuna said:
hi, i have EAS and was successful. SO does that mean i can get up to five point. Cause i got a UAI of 64.50 and the course i want to get in require a UAI of 67.00 (B Environmental science).
With EAS, i can make it in right?

Thanks
Yeth.
Yeth!
YETH!

lilkatie

hangerm5 said:
fortunately Katie I dont want to do arts/law so I wont be taking your place. I understand your frustration on this issue but please consider it from this perspective as well, just think if your positions should be reversed and you had the 92 UAI.
Huh what do you mean, i am from a rural school with like only 30ppl in my grade!-you are confused. I think rural kids should get xtra marks cos I got cut down from opportunities so many times...my school lost its CAP thing last year god damn haha

hangerm5

HSC
sorry i misread *blushes with embarassment*

Oh I am sorry, please forgive me for my rant. I hadnt read your post properly. I have just reread it-that will teach me for next time! There were only 30 ppl in my grade too. Sorry if I was a bit aggressive its just that I started High School in Albury but then my family moved and a lot of people said that we shouldnt move because it would be bad for my sisters and I "education wise" and that we might suffer from being in a smaller school. Well personally I loved ALMOST every minute of being at my small rural school even tho as you say there are a few things that you do miss out.

I am really sorry if I went a bit overboard with my last post, it wasnt really at you, just all the people that insinuated that rural restricted your capabilities in suceeding. Even reading this now, I think i might have "gone off" in wrong thread!!!

I hope we both make it into ANU and it sounds like we have a good chance. **offers hand in apology and friendship to Katie**

Cheers
Hannah

lilkatie

hangerm5 said:
**offers hand in apology and friendship to Katie**
*shakes hand*
haha don't worry bout it hey and three cheers for everyone who went to a rural school

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)