Bonus points: Rural and High subject score (1 Viewer)

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Okay.

Some rural students, im one of them, get an extra 4 UAI points because we didnt have the facilities of Sydney. Are they automatically added on to your UAI, or do the universities that use them get notified of who gets the extra points and uses them to calculate if you can gain entry.
Does ANU use these extra points?

Also for ANU you can get bonus points for going well maths and maths ext 1 for engineering. Does anybody know the cut off they use for calcultaing how many extra points u can get.

7th Sign

HSC
extra facilities my ass...

wtf dont they have?

a computer at your home or something..

I deserve 4 extra points...

SaintCait

HSC
It won't be added on the UAI thats given to you tomorrow. Not all uni's do give 4 bonus points. Eg SydUni doesnt for all courses (does for some). Im not sure if ANU will, it depends where you are because they have weird definitions of rural locations. Most of rural nsw doesnt count (i dont think)..except Wagga area does (i think).

Best to call the Uni..they would be happy to help!

abhyash

HSC
wagga??? as if man! im in griffith and im pretty sure we get extra points.

SaintCait

HSC
7th sign- Its things like study lecture days and shakespeare plays that rural students miss out on. It doesn't make a difference for all rural or all city students, but for those who try hard and are going for the top marks, it can make all the difference.

My teachers tell me that in english you can tell the difference between scripts..rural students stand out and are often unintentionally marked down. Something to do with the lower level of exposure to diversity that rural students have.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Thanks SaintCait

Yeah i only went to 2 of those enrichment lectures. I wrote all about it in my SEAS, making up a lot of stuff. I live in Leeton, Riverina, its part of Wagga Diocese.
Im pretty sure that i count. However i didnt count for the EAS. Im just hoping that those extra 4 points add alot.

Lol. The thing is that i have experienced a lot of diveristy. Lived in Tassie most of my life, and Griffith has people from all over the world. Been to Sydnet and Melbourne tons of times.

SaintCait

HSC
No problem

Well your lucky to have experienced all that. I'm a rural student too and unfortunately where i am, theres not much multiculturalism and i do think that there are much fewer oportunities and encouragement of education.

And careful Krabby...you'll get the city people upset/jealous. Its not good to rub in your extra points by saying you don't deserve them :)

Paper_Aeroplane

HSC
7th Sign said:
extra facilities my ass...

wtf dont they have?

a computer at your home or something..

I deserve 4 extra points...
I'm sorry, but how about you try doing the HSC in a rural and remote area... Those extra points are absolutely well deserved for the disadvantages i've faced this year!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Anyways, just a note :) it may be better to keep your added scores, marks, etc quiet, this way you have a lower chance of being questioned by other students who can bring it up to the board of studies stating that its unfair, etc,etc. :rolleyes: For I'm sure you don't want to lose those extra 4 uai points.

On the bright side, congrats that you got the 4 points, >< yeah I understand, rural schools unfortunately do not have the same standard of equipment used by city schools.

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Thanks for the advice
Sorry. Its just that i was all excited when i found out. Sorry if i made people jealous, angry or annoyed.
Really sorry

Kirika

HSC
you may get some points extra for being in a CAP area, they are done automatically by UAC. if you applied to CSU then you get another 5 coz ur disadvantaged. if you applied for ANU (oh.. same here!) then you only get what UAC gives u automatically unless you applied for EAS, which ANU gives a max of five extra points for. oh and mr 'oh just get on your computer its not that hard not being in sydney', actually yes it is... our school has about 25 teachers, this year 18 of them were first years who had never taught a class let alone a HSC one.only my maths teaher had ever taught a HSC class, and my ancient teacher, but she is four hours away in dubbo. oh an1/2 of my subjects are done by telematics. you try learning trig and calculus over the phone.

Danoz The Great

HSC
I thought it was an extra 5 UAI points, not 4...

And 7th Sign, the 5 extra points are WELL deserved. Come to Port one day, you'll see why.

chellzi

HSC
Hi,

It's part of the educational access scheme. I get it because I've been really sick this year. I doesn't come on your uai. The unis are notified and some have spaces reserved for people in the scheme and others just add the points and offer places the same way as any other place. Anyway, the point to this is no it doesn't come on your uai tomorrow as different unis offer a different amount of uai points. I know sydney uni offers 5 while the catholic uni only offers 4 and it varies from uni to uni. To find out how many extra points each uni allows you'll have to contact them to see wether you will have enough points to make your course.

Bye

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
abhyash said:
wagga??? as if man! im in griffith and im pretty sure we get extra points.
hey, im from leeton. and i think it is 5 points, and its only for the CSU (and maybe la trobe). So if youre going elsewhere, as i want to, i dont think it matters. But i hope someone can correct me, and give us all some hope :)

Last edited:

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I wish extra points got added on by uac, but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they don't. As has been said, some unis give extra points to students from rural areas. I wish UQ did!

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I think i remember a university person telling me that if you go to CSU then you get extra points on top of the ones already on. I hope im right, but im sort of uncertain. I hope that it boosts my UAI up to a respectable 86 or 87.

sarahn

HSC
SaintCait said:
7th sign- Its things like study lecture days and shakespeare plays that rural students miss out on. It doesn't make a difference for all rural or all city students, but for those who try hard and are going for the top marks, it can make all the difference.

My teachers tell me that in english you can tell the difference between scripts..rural students stand out and are often unintentionally marked down. Something to do with the lower level of exposure to diversity that rural students have.

hey my english teacher said the exact the same thing!!!....but ive always wondered HOW the scripts are different (HOW being the optimum word in anything english-related, lol)...

my (and krabby's) school (Scots School, Albury) might give the city people an insight: under the new HSC we've always had at least one 99 (except for last years somewhat dodgy crew), but NEVER (until this year :) ) had a band 6 result for Advanced English...we've always thought it was kind of fishy...

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
Damn. Ill have to hope that i either get 86 in UAI or get the middle band, as my best two subjects were physics and Maths, both get extra points if you go well for ANU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)