bonus points (1 Viewer)

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
No offence but like, from what I've seen of most SRCs/Captains, they do not deserve extra points for doing almost a whole lot of nothing all year that almost anyone could do. six_demon_bag, you said it yourself.

For the vast majority of schools, then, you could essentially say that people are getting an extra point simply by being popular. *Rolls eyes* Flawed, much? Ah well, I guess people who put in the effort will end up getting higher ATARs anyway.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No offence but like, from what I've seen of most SRCs/Captains, they do not deserve extra points for doing almost a whole lot of nothing all year that almost anyone could do. six_demon_bag, you said it yourself.

For the vast majority of schools, then, you could essentially say that people are getting an extra point simply by being popular. *Rolls eyes* Flawed, much? Ah well, I guess people who put in the effort will end up getting higher ATARs anyway.
Takes a lot more than just popularity to be Captain of SBHS (or SGHS for that matter). A lot of vicious politicking within the Prefecture for that one spot.

jovceski123

HSC
well at Newcastle uni they give u 4 bonus points just for attending a school within the hunter to promote local students to study in Newcastle.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
well at Newcastle uni they give u 4 bonus points just for attending a school within the hunter to promote local students to study in Newcastle.
Yeah, that's fair. Same with UWS.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
There is also the Academic Achievement Award at UNSW where one student in each school (in NSW???) gets entry into a course and $4000 if they are within 5 points of the required ATAR.

That's kind of like bonus points isn't it except you have to be nominated for it by your school.

maddyure

HSC
Is it true that is you represent NSW in sport in the year that you do your HSC you can receive some sort of bonus, or this that dependent on the university too?

astroe

HSC
Takes a lot more than just popularity to be Captain of SBHS (or SGHS for that matter). A lot of vicious politicking within the Prefecture for that one spot.
Hm, I think someone I know at your school didn't get to be a prefect and turned emo about it - was really cut.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I'm not really talking about individual schools, because many have different voting processes, etc to decide prefects and captains.

But chances are the only reason people even get a look-in for captaincy / prefecture at many schools is popularity. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but does it make all of these people more deserving of an extra UAI point over those who worked equally as hard (or harder), but were less popular? Certainly not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)