Book List (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
First semester last yr, my textbooks were nearly one grand.

This year, it was $170, I think (I already have one of the ones we need)

kittycat552

lourai*87 said:
Yeah, it seems to be all good now.

So, how many books does everyone need - and how much is it going to cost you? I need 5 plus 2 recommended, costing around $413 or $475 with the 2 recommended. It seems quite ex-y!
Hey, since i just did first year of the degree you're about to start, you barely need to buy any of them seriously...i would recommend the PUBH1080 one to buy (but you barely use it still, only a few required readings), DO NOT buy the NUDI1200 one (i deadset barely opened it, but there was one very small question in a test from it so u decide whether u want to buy it), you definately need Martini for HUBS (u will use this throughout the 4 year degree) and i can't remember if u need a text for the other NUDI course. Ciao

rific

HSC
UCB... not a fan.

As has already been said, older editions are normally fine, if something major has changed, you'll be told about it anyway.

I like to wait until sem starts to get books, so I can see what the tutors say about them ("Oh, if you don't really want to, don't buy this one, I probably wouldn't") and if you really actually need them (I'm sure 'Literacy in the Science Classroom' will be a great read for me...). Some courses don't use traditional textbooks either, and use bound photocopied notes which will be available at UCB or the NUSA building.

katie436

HSC
I was just going to wait until the first lecture.
You wouldn't need the textbook in the first week even if it was 'prescribed', would you?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
You'll be fine without it. First week lectures are introductory; they hand out the course outline, you'll be told a gazillion times about Turnitin, Blackboard and Studentmail, you'll be introduced to some of the most basic concepts in the world...and, thats about it, really.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
tiney225 said:
Hey, since i just did first year of the degree you're about to start, you barely need to buy any of them seriously...i would recommend the PUBH1080 one to buy (but you barely use it still, only a few required readings), DO NOT buy the NUDI1200 one (i deadset barely opened it, but there was one very small question in a test from it so u decide whether u want to buy it), you definately need Martini for HUBS (u will use this throughout the 4 year degree) and i can't remember if u need a text for the other NUDI course. Ciao
Thanks for that. If i recall, it was one of those that was ridiculously dear. What about the chem ones...theres 2 recommended and 2 required, i was thinking i may as well get them anyway, but depends on how much you use them.
Thanks again.

kittycat552

lourai*87 said:
Thanks for that. If i recall, it was one of those that was ridiculously dear. What about the chem ones...theres 2 recommended and 2 required, i was thinking i may as well get them anyway, but depends on how much you use them.
Thanks again.
When u say chem are you talking about a 2nd semester chem course (because you don't have a chem course till then)? In that case, don't buy the textbooks for that now...worry about 2nd semester when it comes ok. And i just did that chem course and there was definately only 1 prescribed text for that. Clarify for me what u mean by chem?

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
tiney225 said:
When u say chem are you talking about a 2nd semester chem course (because you don't have a chem course till then)? In that case, don't buy the textbooks for that now...worry about 2nd semester when it comes ok. And i just did that chem course and there was definately only 1 prescribed text for that. Clarify for me what u mean by chem?
They changed it. The original timetable that i printed out got changed heaps. I do have chem in the first semester (CHEM1010). My other Sem 1 courses are NUDI1200, PUBH1080 and HUBS1403. So the prescribed texts are "Chemistry and Chemical Reactivity" and "Intro to Organic Chem". Then there are 2 recommended "SI chemical data" and "molecular visions kit". I also paid $30 for a lab manual today.

Second Sem is CHEM1020, HUBS1404, NUDI1210 and NUDI1220

moz

Med Student
HSC
hah! if i included recommended texts, i'd be up over $5000 a semester!
newy's library is awesome, it's got everything u need, and don't forget to check the electronic texts part of the library website under your subject guide. lots of greats tuff there. most med text books i need we get supplied online for free. the rets u can buy, so it's only a few hundred dollars a semester, rather than a few thousand.

and the golden rule when buying books.. never buy new unless u have to! check out the for sale notices all over the uni! or even put up your own notices saying u need such and such text books, might tempt ppl into selling!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)