Books for physics (1 Viewer)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by BlackJack
As for abdooooo, I wouldn't know. The lecturers would loosely refer to the prescribed textbook during the course, but I suppose you can substitute it if you think it's better. You'd have to ask for someone who has both though.
ok cool. hey you know the stewart's calculus, is it hard to learn of that by yourself... cause my friend said the book is very hard to understand.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yEah... I wouldn't bother to find out so much about usyd if I don't go there.
Aiming for physics and biochemistry, I'd say... given up on microbio, too hard to overload 2nd year...
yeah, i'm thinking of something in the line of that for my science degree- i.e major in chem. and phys.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
biochemistry is the best... for the science department anyway. :)

i want to study the game theory... but i don't think its offered for applied math in the science department... and i don't want to do B economics. :(

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by memo
for physics 1st year its

University Physics by Young and Freedman ~ $100 new

and from memory if you buy that the school of physics is willing to swap for what you need for 2nd year physics.
hey, how can i get confirmation if we have the same textbook this year? coz- i saw this book being sold for $50 second hand on notice boards. :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...For chem, the lecturers don't stress on the exact textbook you want.
But, they have sort of recommended this one last year (because some notes refer to pages in both 2nd ed. and 3rd ed.):
Chemistry
The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change
Silberberg.
hey- so is this the textbook that u reccomend us to buy as well? :)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
abdooooo: Stewart stays to official terminology and phrasing of laws and lemmas. So it's going to be hard studying it yourself, as there are few explanations.
Also, the course will jump around the textbook a lot.

freaking_out: Thing won't change. (it's uni... changing syllabus requires money it doesn't have.)

This contains lots of information on units. For physic it still says young and freedman.
http://student-handbooks.ucc.usyd.edu.au/handbook/uossearch.stm

For chem, it says a list. I'd say check the list and grab whatever you can find cheaply. The advantage in silberberg is the page ref given by the lecturers so you don't have to look in the contents first. I already had a silberberg beforehand and is sorta familiar with it.
Also, if Chang Chemistry 5th ed. is on there I can give you my bro's one cheaply.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...For chem, it says a list. I'd say check the list and grab whatever you can find cheaply. The advantage in silberberg is the page ref given by the lecturers so you don't have to look in the contents first. I already had a silberberg beforehand and is sorta familiar with it.
Also, if Chang Chemistry 5th ed. is on there I can give you my bro's one cheaply.
yeah- but besides the fact that the lecturer references the stuff- which book is the best in terms of its presentation (i like colour :D ) and is very easy to learn from and provides good questions as well (i.e which one is the BEST book u reckon)? :)

so anyways- how much ru selling your bro's textbook? i found the silberberg textbook in a notice board for $50. :D

edit: i checked on the website u gave me for chem, and it says
A booklist is contained in the booklet Information for Students distributed at enrolment. Further information can be obtained from the School
so i didn't get a booklist- did anyone else get one...if so can u tell me what it says on it?

Last edited:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I have no idea for choices, as I don't use the textbook much. But silberberg is a pretty good book; it IS colourful. You will be provided with answers for weekly assignments at chem tutes. All those questions are given from a booklet. And the ~2 pages a week should be enough for some study.

I was preparing for $40. It's an old unsw-related textbook, 1994, but chemistry never changes.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
I have no idea for choices, as I don't use the textbook much. But silberberg is a pretty good book; it IS colourful. You will be provided with answers for weekly assignments at chem tutes. All those questions are given from a booklet. And the ~2 pages a week should be enough for some study.

I was preparing for $40. It's an old unsw-related textbook, 1994, but chemistry never changes.
ok then- i'll b buying the silberberg book then (since its colourful, and easy to read and stuff). :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
WOA!!!!!!! so we had to buy text prior the uni starts??? man, i gotta keep an look out,....

say freakin_out... uhm u mind NOT takin that silberberg book?? =p blehz

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
WOA!!!!!!! so we had to buy text prior the uni starts??? man, i gotta keep an look out,....

say freakin_out... uhm u mind NOT takin that silberberg book?? =p blehz
yeah, well its good to buy it now- so u can grab the second hand books bfore, the rush starts! and no- u ain't taking my silberberg book! :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, well its good to buy it now- so u can grab the second hand books bfore, the rush starts! and no- u ain't taking my silberberg book! :p
yes i am... uhm, wait... oh... prolly not...

but any way, i am pretty sure there will be enuf 2nd hand books to go around... ^^

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
think again mate- thats not true at all! :p
well there's bound be be similar number of 2nd year'ers who just did wut we are goin to do... n they are more dan likely to want to get rid of their books (for a price) than anythin else... and then, there's those very very rich first year'ers *cough* freaking_out* who only uses first hand...

=D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
well there's bound be be similar number of 2nd year'ers who just did wut we are goin to do... n they are more dan likely to want to get rid of their books (for a price) than anythin else... and then, there's those very very rich first year'ers *cough* freaking_out* who only uses first hand...

=D
mate, i don't wanna buy first hand...thats why i started hunting down second hand books NOW- and besides, the earlier, the better (and sometimes the cheaper). :D

but if i can't find second hand books- i guess, i'll just have to buy second hand (and use pig's method wif the 10% discount and stuff). :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, can someone also tell me if we have to buy the study guides for chem. (and physics i think)? like, i searced the bookstore website...they had "chemistry 3rd edition by silberberg"...and they also had "CHEMISTRY 3E STUDY GUIDE" by silberberg also- so yeah, is it any good?

also, that silberberg book has different packages to it...i.e one come with a "webcard", another with a "cyber cd-rom", and another with a "grade summit"...so is anyone of these extra's usefull...coz these packages seem to b at different prices. :S

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Oh, for your sakes, you don't HAVE to buy the guides! Not even the textbooks are compulsory.

We only used textbooks, and there are often some copies in the library. Check it tomorrow... :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Oh, for your sakes, you don't HAVE to buy the guides! Not even the textbooks are compulsory.

We only used textbooks, and there are often some copies in the library. Check it tomorrow... :p
ahh...ok, so study guide is not necessary (to go good in the course)...yeah, i'll check the library 2moro.

btw, which "silberberg package" is the best? (see above post for descriptions.) :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
ahh...ok, so study guide is not necessary (to go good in the course)...yeah, i'll check the library 2moro.

btw, which "silberberg package" is the best? (see above post for descriptions.) :D
soooooo, if we are a bunch of organised pplz, we can practially live on the library resources?? (disregard the fine of overdue for the time bein...) =D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
soooooo, if we are a bunch of organised pplz, we can practially live on the library resources?? (disregard the fine of overdue for the time bein...) =D
i think most of the textbooks will prolly b in the "reference" section...and plus, it will b bad, when ur borrowing it, and u have to return it one week bfore the exams or something- so thats why its betta to buy a book. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)