Books (1 Viewer)

dandel26

HSC
Ok so uni starts soon, i was wondering should i get my books now or wait until after the first lecture?

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
if you like super long queues, buy later

P

pLuvia

I think I might buy some of mine on orientation day and buy some off some other people :)

HSC
N/A
Now is good. The rush is during first week of uni... which is when they start giving out homework :p

Of course this won't matter if you're buying second hand books.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i'll go against everyone and say later, because sometimes the lecturers say that you don't need the texts. or you can read between the lines when you get the unit outlines and realise that you don't need the texts. especially if questions are MC, you're given good notes and they say "reading the text is important for background information" "reading the text will give you a good understanding of concepts, but no questions will be taken from it" :rolleyes:

but sometimes you realise your lecturer gives crap notes and you're given the questions for your final to preprepare so the text would be a great help. or you're told questions will be set directly from the text. then you have to wait in line which is crap.

edit so as not to waste a post: due to iamsickofyear12s post - firsties, i should let you know that i used 3 textbooks in my whole 3 years of uni. in 1 subject the lecturer took questions directly from the text. in the other 2 i had to pre-prepare my answers and notes given to us were crap. no regrets. might not work for all. n.b. if you take the no textbook approach you should make very good notes from the lectures themselves (which i found a lot easier) and it is always a bit of a gamble.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:
i'll go against everyone and say later, because sometimes the lecturers say that you don't need the texts. or you can read between the lines when you get the unit outlines and realise that you don't need the texts. especially if questions are MC, you're given good notes and they say "reading the text is important for background information" "reading the text will give you a good understanding of concepts, but no questions will be taken from it" :rolleyes:

but sometimes you realise your lecturer gives crap notes and you're given the questions for your final to preprepare so the text would be a great help. or you're told questions will be set directly from the text. then you have to wait in line which is crap.
Definitely good advice. Don't buy them now unless you're 100% sure you'll need them. By need, I mean need constantly, eg a text book, work book, or course notes.

Go in second week, and just go in early in the morning or late in the afternoon. That way, you won't be wasting hundreds of dollars on unnecessary books and you may not be queueing at all.

In first semester of first year, I wasted $250 on books that I either didn't need, or could have photocopied chunks of. I wasn't able to return them as I write over everything.

With books being sold out, you can always photocopy the necessary pages until the books arrive. If they arrive very late, you can either get them elsewhere or complain bitterly to the lecturer.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I have a whole bunch of textbooks in perfect condition because I only ever opened them once or twice. Now I don't bother buying them until I know if I really need them or not.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iambored said:

edit so as not to waste a post: due to iamsickofyear12s post - firsties, i should let you know that i used 3 textbooks in my whole 3 years of uni. in 1 subject the lecturer took questions directly from the text. in the other 2 i had to pre-prepare my answers and notes given to us were crap. no regrets. might not work for all. n.b. if you take the no textbook approach you should make very good notes from the lectures themselves (which i found a lot easier) and it is always a bit of a gamble.
I'll go one step further and say just use the ones in Reserve :p

K.

HSC
Is it just me, or waiting in the co-op queue is rather thrilling. Standing there, making idle chat with randoms, getting free chupa-chups, doing questionaires, signing up for free telegraphs and talking to random mentor-y people about nothing in particular. Plus, I made a pretty good friend from the co-op line. Plus, its a must-experience, experience of university!!

K.

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Well. That's certainly put a positive spin on the queue experience :p

The only thing that happened to me when I lined up once, is that i got bombarded with people from some christian club. And I couldn't escape unless I was willing to lose my spot... such a low tactic.
haha yeah! When you encounter them, there is noooooo where to run. Its not too bad, I love all those religious stalls, This one week they had Islam week and they gave me a free quaran/koran and henna'd me up. These little chats give you really good insight into other cultures and stuff, I mean if you're only standing in line, doesnt kill to slip in some diversity, they rarely try to convert you anyways.

lol, or maybe i'm just mad and enjoy telemarketers and bums!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don't call listening to the chuppa-chup giving christians opening my mind to diversity. they preach and use you as a friend sneakily to try and get you to join them. i'm sure it's a great club and i know some of them and they are great people. i just don't like how they go about getting people in - acting friendly and then showing they have an ulterior motive. and preaching and being pushy doesn't do anything for me either.

in other words, you're mad and like telemarketers and bums :p

K.

HSC
I feel left out! None of them have tried to convert me yet! Actually, none of them have even asked me what religion I am, all the time its just for a general chat about what they do, then its Seeya-later!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
i don't call listening to the chuppa-chup giving christians opening my mind to diversity. they preach and use you as a friend sneakily to try and get you to join them. i'm sure it's a great club and i know some of them and they are great people. i just don't like how they go about getting people in - acting friendly and then showing they have an ulterior motive. and preaching and being pushy doesn't do anything for me either.

Its perfect, cos we're educated, and they're incessantly ferverish, so the mind games begin!

X

xeuyrawp

iambored said:

I wouldn't equate them to telemarketers, who always tell you what they're doing and why.

These people are like carriers of a social and intellectual disease.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I equate them to pyramid schemes that require people to make money off their friends. Not that they personally get anything from getting people to join, but that I dislike the way they go about it as I have said (ok can you tell that last year i got kind of pissed off when a new friend came to talk to me about my weekend... then told me about her weekend... slowly merging into studentlife... and then handed me a studentlife flyer... and left.)

And BOS is back, I did so much around the house the past day or two without it as a distraction. :D

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
K. said:
Is it just me, or waiting in the co-op queue is rather thrilling. Standing there, making idle chat with randoms, getting free chupa-chups, doing questionaires, signing up for free telegraphs and talking to random mentor-y people about nothing in particular. Plus, I made a pretty good friend from the co-op line. Plus, its a must-experience, experience of university!!
I ended up talking to some 4th year law student - he was really cool - had a great chat!

Coop should have a 'desperate and dateless' queue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)