Bookstore/Gamestore vacancies? How do you snag a job at one of these places? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, after finishing the HSC, I'm eager to get a job, and have been handing out resumes after resumes to Borders/Dymocks/EB and GAME. I've also applied for Angus and Robertson online and have handed resumes from Ambervale (Macquarie Square in Campbelltown) to Parramatta. Does anyone have any tips on getting a job at one of these places or any info on what work was like there?

I know the simple answer is "look for ALL kinds of jobs" but I'd rather get a job at such stores, or not working at all, as I'm going to get an Ajudicating job soon anyways.

If anyone has even the fainest glimmer of hope eg. a vacany at ANY bookstore, or advice, it would be a great help.

Thanks in advance. :)

badquinton304

HSC
I refuse to work at GAME or EB the people there have no taste. I don't really understand why they sk for resumes for those jobs you just sit around talking to the people next to you and then reply to a customer rudely. Based on this you could easily get a job at these places if you know someone that works there, I think thats your best shot.

Stringer Bell

HSC
N/A
Pretty sure you have to be overweight and generally unkempt to work in one of those Gaming outlets (greasy hands to fumble with peoples purchases is also a +)

Topazkick

HSC
I remember applying for Dymocks a few years ago around Christmas, I didn't get it but my sister's friend did - probably because she applied much earlier when the vacancy originally came up. Maybe try seeing if there's a small local book store around and ask them about work there.

HSC
Pretty sure you have to be overweight and generally unkempt to work in one of those Gaming outlets (greasy hands to fumble with peoples purchases is also a +)
Oh crap, I turned up wearing my Nike sports clothes! Dang nabbit! :p

I remember applying for Dymocks a few years ago around Christmas, I didn't get it but my sister's friend did - probably because she applied much earlier when the vacancy originally came up. Maybe try seeing if there's a small local book store around and ask them about work there.
Thanks for the input. I tried my local bookstore...i.e. Angus and Robertson LOL. Ah, gone are the good old days of H&M Smith.... does anyone remember that store?

bio_nut

HSC
I've heard it's almost impossible to get a job at such places without much previous experience in retail. They're very popular positions.

HSC
^ ah well, looks like I won't be getting that employee discount for my law textbooks. :devil:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
EB don't necessarily hire kids straight out of school. They tend to hire 20+ uni students or late 20s to 30 randoms. Even then, EB don't give a shit if you don't know anything about games.

GAME, you simply need to know someone who works there, preferrably the manager.

JB Hifi, you need to be a hippy, emo goth fuck in addition to knowing someone who works there to get a job.

Bookstores, probably fairer in terms of recruitment but just as hard to get into anyway.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
My boyfriend got a job at EB purely based on him handing his resume in at the right time. He had no previous retail experience and just really likes gaming, and someone had just left the store so they had a vacancy. The resumes that get handed in at EB usually just get added to a pile and never looked at again. I'm sure this is similar in most stores.

Look up the websites of stores you're interested in as you often have to apply online.

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, I heard EB are REALLY against hiring kids who are all live "omg it'd be cool to work there" so they try to avoid kids altogether.

audioxdoll

HSC
EB definetly seems to have more of a professional standard, possibly because the "Omg EB is cool!" kids wouldnt actually know too much... the guys who work there are always older and know their shit! years and years of diablo and wow me thinks.

I also applied and angus and roberston online. It actually seems like a fun place to work and id love the discount on books :)

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I can't stand EB/GAME people. I don't want to talk to anyone when I buy games. I just want to buy games and get out.

Probably why I only buy shit online nowadays because I'm sick of paying such retarded RRPs.

miikeeeeee

HSC
aha yeahh those places are hard to get into
you really have to know your games i think?
well two of my friends got into eb i dont know how
1 is smart the other is a dimwit so yeahh
they applied and got it so hope that helps

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i work in a cd/dvd chain which essentially i guess is the same thing.

hiring for us seems to be a combination of things:

people applying for jobs when we are actually looking for someone
there's absolutely no point in leaving your resume if there is no position available. unless it's a busy period like christmas, we do not often hire unless someone leaves (and even at the moment we could really do with someone but the company refuses to do anything about it). there could be any given period of time before a position does become available, by which time your circumstances may have changed. when you go resume dropping, specifically ask if there are any positions available and if not, when a good opportunity would be. do they hire for extra periods like holidays?

be very clear about when you are available
at the moment we are struggling to find anyone apart from students who are looking for work, but the problem is that we have a lot of students already and this makes it difficult to juggle study loads and timetables. one of the first questions we ask a potential employee is "when are you available?" the answer to the question can make or break you tbh

come in with a confident manner and attitude
i don't mean being cocky, but don't be shy. retail is all about engaging with customers and that is exactly what you need to do. be friendly and talkative. be sure in your own ability because first impressions are so so important. also look presentable. don't show up in boardies and a tee. and ask to speak to the manager. never ever talk to anyone else but. if the manager is not there, take a number or leave your own and keep trying until you reach him or her.

always apply on the internet even if there are no positions listed during a hiring period
our office uses the internet as a sorting system before it has ground contact with stores so if there is a period like christmas where you know the store will be hiring, log your details on the online careers application. i got my current job by doing this without even going near a store.

dawdlex3

HSC

there's absolutely no point in leaving your resume if there is no position available. unless it's a busy period like christmas, we do not often hire unless someone leaves (and even at the moment we could really do with someone but the company refuses to do anything about it). there could be any given period of time before a position does become available, by which time your circumstances may have changed. when you go resume dropping, specifically ask if there are any positions available and if not, when a good opportunity would be. do they hire for extra periods like holidays?

at the moment we are struggling to find anyone apart from students who are looking for work, but the problem is that we have a lot of students already and this makes it difficult to juggle study loads and timetables. one of the first questions we ask a potential employee is "when are you available?" the answer to the question can make or break you tbh

come in with a confident manner and attitude
i don't mean being cocky, but don't be shy. retail is all about engaging with customers and that is exactly what you need to do. be friendly and talkative. be sure in your own ability because first impressions are so so important. also look presentable. don't show up in boardies and a tee. and ask to speak to the manager. never ever talk to anyone else but. if the manager is not there, take a number or leave your own and keep trying until you reach him or her.

always apply on the internet even if there are no positions listed during a hiring period
our office uses the internet as a sorting system before it has ground contact with stores so if there is a period like christmas where you know the store will be hiring, log your details on the online careers application. i got my current job by doing this without even going near a store.
Very useful advice.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
EB Games and GAME employees know shit all about the merchandise they are selling.

K

Kozak92

EB Games and GAME employees know shit all about the merchandise they are selling.
Thats probably how they like it. Theres a higher shit game to good game ratio and bosses probably wouldn't appreciate it if you turned off a customer from purchasing Deer Hunter for Wii.

HSC

i work in a bookstore and i agree with this especially. we got so many people dropping in resumes and there aren't any positions. when we're not hiring, we say 'you can leave your resume if you like' but it essentially ends up in the bin. first ask if they're hiring, and i not at what times of the year do the generally hire - they might know offhand whether it's likely a position will become available. in a couple of months or something

also this:

this happened at my work, they were looking for a gap year student at the start of the year. heaps of people who were doing arts applied for it and essentially wasted their time because they didn't fit the criteria, i.e. they wanted someone full time and not a part-time student. employers want someone flexible.

previous experience is pretty much essential unless you're a junior. we've never hired anyone >16 without experience. my manager mentioned that when you do a resume, you should make sure previous experience is right at the top. it's the most important factor, they're unlikely to care what school you go/went to/what degree you're doing. it's pretty much irrelevant unless it's directly related to the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)