Bored as crap? (1 Viewer)

gaypsych101

HSC
Hey guys! i want to know if living in the campuses in anu in canberra is as boring as my chem teacher (and everyone else) says it is.
Cause my driving force in eyeing this uni is cause i want a state/city change. I've had so much partying in the past that i'd like a quiet change. (if i can achieve a uni to get in there first). Plus i'm shit bord of sydney too. And it has too much pollution and weirdo wacky people here. So how's it like living/studying there?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So you want canberra to be boring??

Basically your uni life is what you make it, you can make it quiet or you can make it non-stop partying. This will largely hinge on your personality, though obvioulsy there are other factors though again these are under your control - for instance which hall/college you live in eg B&G has a far greater party atmosphere than Fenner.

Venusian

HSC
also depends on what youre gonna study:
ie if youre an arts/law/pols geek you'll heart the fact that parliament is near by (hot tip: join as many political parties as possible during oweek then you get to go to loads of cocktail parties at parliament house for budget and other big stuff)
if youre doing arts curatorship/fine arts you'll heart the galleries
stuff like that makes it interesting
and like loquasagacious said, it depends on your college and you as to what fun you have down here
but if worse comes to worse theres nothing stopping a weekend in sydney to liven things up

not to mention the fact to you it will be a new town, so it'll be fun and exciting to find new pubs, clubs, shops etc etc

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
arts/law/pols geek? Is this how you address your superiors?

a8o

HSC
gaypsych101 said:
Hey guys! i want to know if living in the campuses in anu in canberra is as boring as my chem teacher (and everyone else) says it is.
Cause my driving force in eyeing this uni is cause i want a state/city change. I've had so much partying in the past that i'd like a quiet change. (if i can achieve a uni to get in there first). Plus i'm shit bord of sydney too. And it has too much pollution and weirdo wacky people here. So how's it like living/studying there?

troll?

gaypsych101

HSC
Venusian said:
also depends on what youre gonna study:
ie if youre an arts/law/pols geek you'll heart the fact that parliament is near by (hot tip: join as many political parties as possible during oweek then you get to go to loads of cocktail parties at parliament house for budget and other big stuff)
if youre doing arts curatorship/fine arts you'll heart the galleries
stuff like that makes it interesting
and like loquasagacious said, it depends on your college and you as to what fun you have down here
but if worse comes to worse theres nothing stopping a weekend in sydney to liven things up

not to mention the fact to you it will be a new town, so it'll be fun and exciting to find new pubs, clubs, shops etc etc
lol. I've been thinking of doing an arts degree and taking philosophy/media studies/ something else that's art related or whatnot, and that sounds so fun! Free cocktails are always tempting....I might not give up my party ways after all.
But how is the shopping down there? Is it worst than Qland, cause i've been up there and there isn't much stuff to buy up there....Well nothing very interesting.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
5am POSTS!! I AM YOUR GOD! BOW TO ME!!!

Yep. This is nearly inevitable result of campus life. All nighters to 'catch up' where you only get one week's readings done for a subject (and not even all of it yet!) and type up some notes for another subject.

Though if you have any diciple about you, then treasure it now... because it is HIGHLY likely to be sapped from you due to the altogether too frequent alcoholic black holes where (as I am sure you're aware) no matter, time or memory exists. Coffee will become your bestest pal.

Jesus Christ.... I hate coffee right now.
yep. start work in two hours. yippee.

Venusian

HSC
gaypsych101 said:
But how is the shopping down there? Is it worst than Qland, cause i've been up there and there isn't much stuff to buy up there....Well nothing very interesting.
worse than brisneyland particulary in terms of clothing (particualry in up coming designers (theres is nothing like ann st/bruinswick st in the valley) or even well established designers (mind you theres a handfull in manuka) but similar in the massive amounts of identical westfields/hyperdomes around......fun shopping is to be done on weekend trips to melb or syd

winicat

HSC
compared to newcastle shopping centers, woden and belconnen are huge lol

plus, that random thursday market near union court is awesome :)

and college is way better then living at home: random friends dropping by, someone else cooks and cleans, no kitty litter to change :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I dislike the tuggeranong hyperdome - its layout annoys the hell out of me.... never go there it sucks.... also it has nothing woden and belconnen dont have (both of which are better anyway).

I'm no expert on shopping but I've been lead to understand that designer stuff is available in civic and manuka??? - though that said many girls I know do do the weekends in sydney and melbourne shopping....

Venusian

HSC
loquasagacious said:
I'm no expert on shopping but I've been lead to understand that designer stuff is available in civic and manuka???
yeah theres is but its designers that target an older market

oh and dont waste your time with the bus depot markets waaaayyy over priced

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
What about the new shops opening (or already opened???) over at the airport?

On a wildly nerdish note the bus depot also hosts regular computer fairs which are very well priced.

Venusian

HSC
the airport shops (massive mall of outlet shops) opens in August, and if its anything like the brisbane ones they should be rad! i also heard there was gonna be an ikea out there too yay

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
College is too unboring. I don't get enough study done.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
An ikea would be great, I love ikea stores.

And unboring college is a common complaint and reason that many move out.....

gaypsych101

HSC
What? Worst than brisbane? (i sure hope brisbane shopping has picked up it's act since i visited there too) cause yeah, if canberra is worst than brisbane (which is like nothing to do and noone to meet for miles and miles) that is just tragic.

Clothes isn't really a biggie on my part (cause i just mostly windowshop and poke fun at all the trashy china made "designer" clothes here in sydney anyways)....
i'm gonna try and get my uncle to design tons of cool outfits for me when i head on over to malaysia after the hsc.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
An IKEA? Are you sure? I heard that they were starting to disassemble themselves from Oz. They closed a major outlet in Syd or Melb a while ago.
Ikea's so rad though.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Salivitates at the thought of an ikea....

....ponders this could also mean an increase in swedes and saunas which is also a good thing because canberra gets cold in winter.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Swedes are good. I'm going on exchange to Sweden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)