• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BOS Booklet (1 Viewer)

Blondie

HELP!!
Which BOS booklet text is better for My Place - the door or sky high??
PLZ help pplz!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

tempco

HSC
The Door in my opinion... accepting change, and making an active movement towards it.. that's what both The Door and My Place is about.

jodiepodie

re: the door

i did english last year and the door was great to use. however i studied star wars - a new hope and i found that it worked great in relation to my chosen change text. i have never heard of 'my place' so sorry i wont be much of a help. just look at the door as being a window of opportunity for new things/experiences...

Blondie

oh wow thanks! I've been using sky high all this time, and i never felt like i could really link it to my place. i hate poetry, so thats why i never used the door, but ill make an effort...very quicky, seeing as the hsc is in a week...YIKES!!
Thanks a lot!

HannieStar

I am using Sturts Dreaming and Humans in their Environment for changing self....Took me so long to figure it out but it really works well!

Blondie

Thanks Hannie, i'll go study the environment one further..someone told me yesterday that that was a goo text to use.
I was also told not to use both the door and sky high, because markers dont like it cos 90% of the state does that. is this true u guys think?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Sky High is used frequently by English (Advanced) students - Changing Perspective.

Blondie

Yeah, so ive heard. and i guess it really doesnt fit with my place, but it was the text i could write best about, which is why i used it. oh well. thanks!

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by HannieStar
I am using Sturts Dreaming and Humans in their Environment for changing self....Took me so long to figure it out but it really works well!
Would you mind explaining that a bit more? Regarding Sturt's Dreaming, isn't it more of a change in perspective, where he realised that there wasn't anything in the middle of Australia, and all his hopes were down the drain? I'm not sure what Humans in their Environment is.. is that the Flacco text? I have no idea how that fits into Changing Self.

HannieStar

sturts dreaming essentially says the same thing as the door through much more subtle means- it says to embrace change as the consequences of not changing are negative-

humans in their environment is ironic-as is my place- in that people who resist something are usually the thing they are trying to resist.

using the door isnt looked down on- it is done a lot but you cant be penalised for that- same as sky high.

do what you feel comfy with- i just didnt like sky high or the door as a personal thing because i didnt engage with the,. but i engaged with those so i used them.

Blondie

ok this is nothing related to ur message, hannie, and ive sed it a billion times, but

I HATE ENGLISH....

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Sturt's Dreaming

Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Would you mind explaining that a bit more? Regarding Sturt's Dreaming, isn't it more of a change in perspective, where he realised that there wasn't anything in the middle of Australia, and all his hopes were down the drain?
That isn't correct. Sturt wanted to find the end to the rivers in NSW, the inland sea. He found out that they don't go to an inland sea but travel out through Sth Australia. Apparently he altered geography as we know it. The changing perspective I belive is from the Aboriginies (Dreaming) and Sturt (the european explorer) on how they view the journey to discover "legendary ocean". So nope his hopes didn't go down the drain at all... that is what I first thought tho!

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Originally posted by Blondie
ok this is nothing related to ur message, hannie, and ive sed it a billion times, but

I HATE ENGLISH....
Same here. Grr english... :argue: Can't wait till NO MORE Shakespeare. Luckily next year I'm doing science subjects at uni. (If the uai cut offs don't rise too much).

Blondie

Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
If the uai cut offs don't rise too much
damn uai!!! i wanna do commerce, and apparently thats gonna rise the most!!!
grrrrrrrr english die die die

HannieStar

okay- ive been talking to an hsc senior marker today and she marked my practiice essays with those in it an she said what i did was at least band 5/6.
i havnt explained it that well there okay.

don't take things too literally, there is a lot of underlying meaning in the poems, read them as many times as i have and you will find it there- i can assure you

so follow your first instinct- the markers love it.

Blondie

im bored...feel like doing something...anybody up for destroying the BOS??? :):):):):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)