BoS Chemistry Trial 2021 (1 Viewer)

Pedro123

HSC
Firstly, epic exam to everyone involved in making it - tough multi-choice section, the free-response part required problem-solving, very good paper.

I'll hold my questions for now until the solutions are posted (When would that be?), but just quickly - The last question talked about Tollen's reagent. Is this something compulsory to be known in the HSC (as a syllabus dot point), or was it assumed there was enough information given in the question to solve it even without having studied it?

Thanks

icycledough

HSC
I haven't looked at the exam yet, but in the 2019 HSC paper, Question 21c) mentions that Tollen's test can be used in that question. So as 2019 was the first year of the new chemistry syllabus, I would think it would be expected knowledge.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Firstly, epic exam to everyone involved in making it - tough multi-choice section, the free-response part required problem-solving, very good paper.
Thank you.
I'll hold my questions for now until the solutions are posted (When would that be?),
I'm hoping to get it finished in the next couple of days
but just quickly - The last question talked about Tollen's reagent. Is this something compulsory to be known in the HSC (as a syllabus dot point), or was it assumed there was enough information given in the question to solve it even without having studied it?

Thanks
There was meant to be enough in the question to figure it out, based on knowledge of cation / anion testing from Module 1 and the question stating what was produced... but it did prove to be a challenge, based on my observations (though I haven't marked that question yet).

The syllabus has been deliberately written with phrases like "examples include" to give scope to bring in unfamiliar examples so long as they are based in syllabus principles / concepts and with adequate support to deduce answers from syllabus content and information provided in the questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)