BOS Moot? (1 Viewer)

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
We should have one.

Someone pick a scenario and other people nominate yourselves for a position. I won't pick a scenario because you guys think I'm a shady character trying to get help with an assignment.

Probably should be a criminal/contract/constitutional issue so that us first years can join in.

The judge should be an experienced law student probably.

I'll second/third chair on one of the sides.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
because we have so much time in our real world, that we're willing to follow your frivolous suggestion, right captain jack?

subdued123

HSC
it's a nice idea, but it would not be a moot.

Mooting requires a number of things that you could not replicate online:

1) speaking ability, elocution, articulation
2) ability to deal with high pressure situations
3) judges trying to tear you apart.

This online moot would pretty much turn into an essay war, which would not be fun.

I can't believe i'm discussing the merits of doing a text-based moot. Next i'll be playing dungeons and dragons or ultima text-only.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Problem: Cure AIDS using nothing but civil procedure, referring to case law, legislation and regulations in your pleadings as appropriate.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
At my university first years who volunteer for mooting haven't done any substantive law subjects or their skills subject and are expected to moot on Contract, Tort, Criminal its a bit hard but the ones I had on my team last year stood up to the challenge once I helped them out.

I think an online moot wouldn't work coz in a real moot its full of judges interupting, tearing you apart and backwards and forwards.

I'd suggest you try and get your uni to run some internal comps for first years. At my uni junior mooting is (1st -2nd years) and senior mooting is 3rd to 5th year) means that once you get into the senior comp its a good and diffciult comp because most have had heaps of practice. Also helps them pick for the other external comps.

I am getting better as a mooter but seeing some of the great ones at uni shows me I have a bit more to go but at least I am no longer fearful of judges. Not after mooting infront of three Supreme Court judges having the case that one of them decided as your main authority and barely understanding it in your second year.

I am hoping though to do a bigger scale comp at some point, hopefully Jessup or Vis (which I have applied for this year) however we have some kick arse mooters so it looks unlikely :(

Last edited:

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
hfis said:
Problem: Cure AIDS using nothing but civil procedure, referring to case law, legislation and regulations in your pleadings as appropriate.
I would have thought scientific research would be far more effective than case studies and legislation.

melsc said:
At my university first years who volunteer for mooting haven't done any substantive law subjects or their skills subject and are expected to moot on Contract, Tort, Criminal its a bit hard but the ones I had on my team last year stood up to the challenge once I helped them out.

I think an online moot wouldn't work coz in a real moot its full of judges interupting, tearing you apart and backwards and forwards.

I'd suggest you try and get your uni to run some internal comps for first years. At my uni junior mooting is (1st -2nd years) and senior mooting is 3rd to 5th year) means that once you get into the senior comp its a good and diffciult comp because most have had heaps of practice. Also helps them pick for the other external comps.

I am getting better as a mooter but seeing some of the great ones at uni shows me I have a bit more to go but at least I am no longer fearful of judges. Not after mooting infront of three Supreme Court judges having the case that one of them decided as your main authority and barely understanding it in your second year.

I am hoping though to do a bigger scale comp at some point, hopefully Jessup or Vis (which I have applied for this year) however we have some kick arse mooters so it looks unlikely :(
Yeah, I want to try it out but I don't think I'd be very good. At UOW they have a junior moot in second session but I'm not sure if it's a thing lots of people will do for fun or only a few people who are serious about it.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Anyone who enters the moot is likely to have the same mindset as you - it involves doing more work than is normally required in your standard uni session, which for a uni student is no insignificant thing.

Also, I would venture that saying people enter either to have fun or be serious is a false dichotomy. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
anyone doing the national Shine Lawyers Torts Moot? If so we may meet - I'll of course be the guy wearing the white glove cos billie jean is not my lover, she just a girl who believes that I am the one.. but the kiiiid is not my son, heeheeheeee.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)