BoS Trials Maths, Physics and Business Studies 2023 (1 Viewer)

HSC
first note 1+x+x^9+x^10 = (1+x)(1+x^9)
then we split the integrand into x^2ln[(1+x)(1+x^9)]/(1+x^3) = x^2(ln(1+x) + ln(1+x^9))/(1+x^3)
now we split the integrals up so we have integral from 1 to 0 of x^2ln(1+x)/(1+x^3) + integral from 1 to 0 of x^2ln(1+x^9)/(1+x^3)
Then we do a u =x^3 for the 2nd integral, then dummy variable it back to in terms of x.
Afterwards, if u integrate integral of x^2ln(1+x)/(1+x^3) by parts with u = ln(1+x) and v' = x^2/(1+x^3), some cancellation should occur nicely and u should get the answer.

HSC
so the answer to the indefinite integral is ?
Can you differentiate to check?
the differentiation calculator says it's not, I think this is one of those integrals where u have to rely on the bounds being a certain way to properly solve it.

member 6003

HSC
the differentiation calculator says it's not, I think this is one of those integrals where u have to rely on the bounds being a certain way to properly solve it.
Try solving it without considering the limits at all. You get the same answer, maybe its wrong since doing u=x^3 changes the limits so that you can't cancel out the integrals but I don't know how you properly account for that. Since wolfram alpha can't get it the antiderivative is probably non-elementary. Anyway that's enough time spent on this question.

HSC
Try solving it without considering the limits at all. You get the same answer, maybe its wrong since doing u=x^3 changes the limits so that you can't cancel out the integrals but I don't know how you properly account for that. Since wolfram alpha can't get it the antiderivative is probably non-elementary. Anyway that's enough time spent on this question.
Well if u do it without the limits, then after u do the sub u cannot just use a dummy variable to change the integral from in terms of u back to in terms of x. Thus when u integrate by parts the first integral u can't just cancel out the integrals cos one of them is in terms of u and the other in terms of x

Sam14113

HSC
Just quickly putting in enough LaTeX so that I and others can read a bit easier. Thanks for the solution.

first note
then we split the integrand into
now we split the integrals up so we have
Then we do a for the 2nd integral, then dummy variable it back to in terms of x.
Afterwards, if u integrate integral of by parts with and , some cancellation should occur nicely and u should get the answer.

HSC
1697106851474.png

How do you get part ii? Particularly, how does one obtain the product of tans? I can't see any straightforward way to get a product of tans from the complex roots (of unity)

member 6003

HSC
View attachment 40438

How do you get part ii? Particularly, how does one obtain the product of tans? I can't see any straightforward way to get a product of tans from the complex roots (of unity)
I don't know if this was how they intended but basically my thought process is if it looks like product of roots, just make an equation with roots of tan to get the product of roots. It doesn't really use part i) and is slow so it's not the best solution:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)