Boston Marathon Explosions (1 Viewer)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
This is the car that was carjacked by the two Muslim Boston Marathon bombers as they were fleeing from police.

The bumper sticker:

hahahahahahahahahahahahha

Bigfatnacho

HSC
Just wondering why is the media saying this is the 1st successful terrorist attack in America since 9/11, yet there have been cinema and school shootings which have had more people killed. Is it because the suspect is Muslim? Is that why it is terrorism?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Just wondering why is the media saying this is the 1st successful terrorist attack in America since 9/11, yet there have been cinema and school shootings which have had more people killed. Is it because the suspect is Muslim? Is that why it is terrorism?
FUCK you are stupid

ter·ror·ism
[ter-uh-riz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

terrorism isn't just violence and I am in utter disbelief that you could possibly believe that it is

WeaselPowa

HSC
hahahahahahaha

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be fair I don't think this can really be classed as a terrorist attack conclusively until motive is established (although it probably is the most likely explanation)

Bigfatnacho

HSC
FUCK you are stupid

ter·ror·ism
noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

terrorism isn't just violence and I am in utter disbelief that you could possibly believe that it is
Don't you think you're jumping the gun? We don't know that this was for political purposes there is no proof so far. Plus the younger who was involved looks completely innocent and normal, looking through his twitter you'd think he was a normal boy. Something's up, also there is no sufficient proof that they did it. The only 'proof' that they have is that he is planting or holding a bag near the 8 year old that died but the thing is that the bag looks nothing like that one that was suspected to be responsible.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Regardless, they could've gone to the police, with their hands up if necessary, and cleared their names.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't you think you're jumping the gun? We don't know that this was for political purposes there is no proof so far. Plus the younger who was involved looks completely innocent and normal, looking through his twitter you'd think he was a normal boy. Something's up, also there is no sufficient proof that they did it. The only 'proof' that they have is that he is planting or holding a bag near the 8 year old that died but the thing is that the bag looks nothing like that one that was suspected to be responsible.
Ummmm

Whilst yes it is true innocent until proven guilty there is more than enough evidence to charge them and I would say conviction is almost assured.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
lol idiot

a c

HSC
FUCK you are stupid

ter·ror·ism
noun

Doesn't any violence inherently intimidate?

Terrorism is any violence by anyone other than the state, for any purpose. It's a term used so liberally, where greenpeace and sea shephard are terrorists, that it's devoid of any obvious meaning or purpose, other than affirming the state as the only legitimate source of violence.

When have you ever learnt more about a violent incident by learning it was 'terrorism'? Do you have any more or less understanding of the Boston bombing by the use of the word terrorism? It provides less information about any event, not more. It's a label that reduces nuance and understanding, it simplies complexity, imo frequently to create a simple hero and villians narrative for tv viewing.

Not that I give a fuck about the nuance or motives of this bombing, the villiany is simple, just my 2c on linguistics.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Doesn't any violence inherently intimidate?
Yes but Adam Lanza didn't shoot a bunch of people so that a country or group within society felt intimidated, he did it presumably because he was mentally unstable and wanted to see a bunch of people die; c.f. muslim mass-murderers, who do it to weaken American society and make people scared etc.

It's a term used so liberally, where greenpeace and sea shephard are terrorists, that it's devoid of any obvious meaning or purpose, other than affirming the state as the only legitimate source of violence.
uhh yeah I'm fairly certain the acceptance of Greenpeace as being "terrorists" is extremely marginal.

When have you ever learnt more about a violent incident by learning it was 'terrorism'? Do you have any more or less understanding of the Boston bombing by the use of the word terrorism? It provides less information about any event, not more. It's a label that reduces nuance and understanding, it simplies complexity, imo frequently to create a simple hero and villians narrative for tv viewing.
You seem like the sort of person who says something like this and yet has no problem liberally using the term "racism" in any old way.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes but Adam Lanza didn't shoot a bunch of people so that a country or group within society felt intimidated, he did it presumably because he was mentally unstable and wanted to see a bunch of people die; c.f. muslim mass-murderers, who do it to weaken American society and make people scared etc.
I think it's really too early to speculate about either events motives. It could turn out that these two brothers just wanted to see people die as well

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I think it's really too early to speculate about either events motives. It could turn out that these two brothers just wanted to see people die as well
yeah but the original discussion was why muslim mass-murderers were classified as terrorists. This case may be different, but in general they tend to have ideological motives, and I was talking about this general case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)