Bouncing back from trials (1 Viewer)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Just bombed Visual Arts trial today, pretty stressed about it :/

I keep seeing these articles about people bouncing back from Trial marks and ending up with amazing ATARs, but this doesn't really seem that plausible for me. I mean you see these people from like Art of Smart (godawful website not gonna lie, legit its like the buzzfeed of the HSC, along with Year 13 but that's not the point) who somehow got 43% in a Trial but still got a 98 HSC mark for a subject. Every time I see these sorts of posts, I always check the school they went to and no doubt its always one that's ranked like top 30, so basically their rank becomes less important, compared to me who goes to a school ranked in the 300s where only like 6 people per year (if that many) get 90+ ATAR.

For me, if I drop my rank 1st in Visual Arts, I just really think it would totally screw up my chance of a high band 6, just because my cohort is pretty dodgy, except for maybe one other person. I still have my major work to turn in for school marking though which I'm confident with, and its also worth 40% compared to Trial which is 25%.

Am I being paranoid and bitter and I should just calm down, or should I be worried? Do I still have a chance if I fuck up my Trial?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
If its worth that much more and you do really well, you probably could!
If your cohort is as dodgy as u say then beating them shouldn't be a problem for you :)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
If your cohort is as dodgy as u say then beating them shouldn't be a problem for you :)
Yes I know, its just one person that's quite close to me in terms of relative gaps and whatever (by like 1-2%), that's why I'm worried

Frostguard

HSC
bro it's ok to be worried especially if you think that dropping in ranks will affect your hsc mark for visual marks but if that one person is truly that close behind you, you don't need to be extremely worried, I mean yeah there is the possibility that you may drop ranks but if the gap between you and the other person is so close, you shouldn't be too worried. If you were say second and the gap between 3rd was a huge gap then yeah I'd be worried but if the gap between the top two is small, you should be aight

studygirl118

HSC
This is literally me, so I know how you feel. I don’t do visual arts but yeah there’s other subjects I’m ranked first in and IM SO WORRIED because of course, you wanna keep that high rank to not be affected by the cohort. Personally, I think it’s really unfair that some kids get to go to these really high ranked schools and still do well just because the cohort is strong, whereas people like us need to work twice as hard to make sure they are not dragged down by their cohort :( My advice to you is that if you’re ranked first in visual arts, you’re clearly the strongest student and therefore whatever mark you get is likely to be the highest. Good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I know, its just one person that's quite close to me in terms of relative gaps and whatever (by like 1-2%), that's why I'm worried
Well if there's only one person and your a good performer. If your second and you get a really high external mark, that will become that persons internal mark and as a result you'll most likely get shifted quite up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)