Boundaries on Idea/Topic for Critical (1 Viewer)

hfis9

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering. What are there any boundaries idea/Topic for Critical Essay.
Can we just do anytopic we want and something that we are interested in.
For those that have done the critical or that are doing it. How broad/narrow is
your concept/topic.

Thanks

tSong

HSC
I did a critical response for my MW this year and i'd say mine was pretty broad. I did an analysis of the serial genre across time and how it evolved from serial novels in the Victorian era to radio serials during the 20th century; before reaching its contemporary form as television serials. I basically analysed how television dramas today share a lot of parallels with past serial texts as a result of capitalism. Each serial form uses the same sort of techniques to attract audiences. eg. cliffhangers, suspense, certain character tropes etc. So essentially it was a Marxist critique on how the 'serial genre' is one of perennials in a capitalist-dominated society.

I thought it was pretty unique and I got to analyse TV shows like Breaking Bad. If you can relate your critical response to a decent amount of literary theory then it should be fine. Definitely ask your teacher though, they can normally adapt your idea in some way and make it work even if it's quite broad.

psychotropic

HSC
I also did a critical essay this year. My advice would be to start off fairly broad, perhaps with an investigation of a genre, or literary paradigm, a particular author, or texts across time that you think share some interesting parallels.

However, after your initial 6-7 weeks of research, you should start to think about how you can focus down your work. A work that tries to cover 6 texts over 300 years, or a work that is too ambitious in its argumentation will unfortunately not work within the 5000 word limit that the Board has set. A lot of people feel disheartened at the realisation that there work cannot be as grandeur as they imagined it, but I think being concise and specific is important.

So; start broad, then try and specify to something smaller and nuanced within that. For example, if you started writing a critical essay about the similarities between three texts which span across two hundred years, you may focus this down to the re-appropriation of the anti-hero within literature and how they can be used to voice underlying societal issues (that's probably false, just an example).

I guess the question then becomes; how do you narrow down your argument?
1. WRITING- the act of writing is incredible important. Just try and write your thoughts, even if you haven't finished your research and even if you think what you are writing is rubbish. Through the process of writing, you will begin to realise what parts of your argument are the elucidating, and which aren't so successful.
2. Research- Research can help narrow your focus. In my own major work, research into critical theory allowed me to frame my argument through a lens of literary analysis, which inherently made my work more nuanced and focused.
3. One thing to keep in mind is the importance of STRUCTURE- a clear structure can help you focus your argument, and ensure that you don't waste time explaining tangential points about your texts that are not directly supporting your thesis.

Hope this helps

hfis9

HSC
N/A
This is so great thanks for your help! Tsong and Physcotropic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)