BOW 2008 - what are your ideas (1 Viewer)

adriana08

HSC
hey all 08'ers,

thought i'd start a new thread just for our major artwork ideas.
post all your current ideas here, discuss any problems you're having, or just feel free to browse and comment on each other's works
i'm sure everyone who reads this will help as much as they can!

well i guess i'll start off -

i'm thinking of doing drawings and sketches on wood. i will use liquid pencil, charcoal and chalk pastels and keep to as sepia tone - leonardo da vinci inspired work. it's going to be 15 pieces and will explore deception and the uncovering of truth. this quote is my central idea and is separated into four different pieces, while the rest of the works all branch from from its clear message

"Holding onto a lie is just like holding water in your hands. You can do it for a little while, but it starts to seep out, one drop at a time, and unwillingly it all comes out. That's what we look for: those little drops, those little indications of deception."
"It's difficult to lie, but it's very easy to deceive. People deceive all the time - we do it when we're presenting a certain image of ourselves, like wearing makeup, or giving ourselves important-sounding job titles. Deceiving is just a question of concealing part of the truth."
-Jonathan Alston (Criminal Intelligence Analyst)

how do you like it? do you think its a strong enough concept?
any help or criticism will be greatly appreciated!:)

HSC
Mine: Series of oil paintings of the Alaskan scenery during the Aurora Borealis. (Northern Lights). I basically want to convey the beauty of science and art and my deep admiration and love of nature.

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
Mine is a a big picture from a dream i had. It is basically some crows flying over and sitting on some electricity poles. The picture stretches over three canvasses and the crows will have red buttons for eyes. I don't know what type of paint to use yet, whether it will be oil or acrylic but the actual poles and not the wires wil be dark brown and built up with impesto, and the crows are black. I need help with the background though cause at the moment it is leaning towards being matt grey. But yeah. I haven't really got a theme, but it might be creating beauty from the everyday. i.e the power lines. The buttons kinda tie into that as well. The working title is "My perfect Murder" cause a group of crows is called a murder. I hope i come up with something better.

LinzyHodge

HSC
Indie, your idea sounds amazing. I would love to see it when its finished.
The title is too funny.

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
thanks. i'll take photos of it and post them or something lol. i'll stick with the title lol

dumpling child

HSC
damn! everyone has they're set idea ><
i'm still stuck trying to figure out my theory!:mad1:

but all i know is that im probably going to focus on the obsure shapes of figures..that being our hands, eyes, noses mouths etc
its all going to be a series of drawings and my teacher described it as being very "tim burton" like hahahahah

well good luck to you with ur making!! sounds awesome ;P

bettina44

HSC
i had the perfect idea which i already thought out since yr 9,to create a series of works with secrets on them till i went to the art express at cofa and saw that someone did the exact same thing. :mad: now i have to think of something else... well at least i do know that if i did do that it would of got into the art express.

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
not necessarily. it depends on how well you did it. my friend had an idea similair to someones in there she said, but she didn't make it in so yeah. i dunno

Last edited:

Bruce Wane

HSC
hey bro just got an account.....How're you gonna relate your concept to your images? you reckon ur drawings will be able to pull ur underlying concept to the surface fully? Da vinci was an insane artist with some way cool contrapposto happening, anatomy hasn't been done properly in yr 12 so u could be onto something good luck....

PEM

HSC
I'm looking to do a series of short stories centring around the theme of 'Flesh, Blood, Skin and Bone' (I swear, I'm not a Waifs fan D: ).
I'm either going to set it up as a graphic novel sort of thing (hardcover, but modified to look somewhat leather bond and old), or as a more installation styled piece (framed images, with...installation-y junk).

The images them selves are looking like they'll be done in a mix of traditional and digital, but time limits will probably decide that one...

My main problem is my art teacher. She seems to think A) digital art has less merit then traditional and B) that my concept isn't strong enough...never mind that she hasn't even looked at and/or read my VAPD..thing.
She thinks I'm doing some super hero comic book pretty much.
...and she uh...tends to dismiss everything that's not in her feild of know-how (aka, ceramics and colour mixing).

</ramble

adriana08

HSC
Bruce Wane said:
hey bro just got an account.....How're you gonna relate your concept to your images? you reckon ur drawings will be able to pull ur underlying concept to the surface fully? Da vinci was an insane artist with some way cool contrapposto happening, anatomy hasn't been done properly in yr 12 so u could be onto something good luck....
hey...thanks...i hope so!lol

nah umm...i've sort of changed it from being more traditional with all of the pieces of wood and made it so that there are also some ink drawing and engravings on perspex and paintings on canvas...it comes out a as a collection of works.
as for da vinci...:hammer: jokes
i am only using two of his images, la scapagliata - the perfection of her face decieves the audience, sort of plays on anatomy and how no one is perfect no matter what/misconception by the audience, and study of a drapery - as a covering/concealment/deception again.

anyway hope that makes sense... :confused: if it doesn't let me know and i'll post the layout i have with the images and text i'm using for my base.

how is yours going? do you have an idea or concept yet...or are you still procrastinating? *laughs*

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
PEM said:
I'm looking to do a series of short stories centring around the theme of 'Flesh, Blood, Skin and Bone' (I swear, I'm not a Waifs fan D: ).
I'm either going to set it up as a graphic novel sort of thing (hardcover, but modified to look somewhat leather bond and old), or as a more installation styled piece (framed images, with...installation-y junk).

The images them selves are looking like they'll be done in a mix of traditional and digital, but time limits will probably decide that one...

My main problem is my art teacher. She seems to think A) digital art has less merit then traditional and B) that my concept isn't strong enough...never mind that she hasn't even looked at and/or read my VAPD..thing.
She thinks I'm doing some super hero comic book pretty much.
...and she uh...tends to dismiss everything that's not in her feild of know-how (aka, ceramics and colour mixing).

</ramble
IT'S YOUR ARTWORK. not hers so tell her to get over it. she probably favours others. but it sounds awesome!!!! :)

batboyhsc

HSC
hey

im new to this site..

i love some of ur ideas!especially urs indie, and also like the title :)

i was goin to do a graphic novel, like a comic, using photos of my friends, but editing them, but then decided to do a rocky horror picture show graphic novel...

i am going to use my friends..and use photoshop cs3 to edit the images...

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
gosh! thankyou. yours sounds cool. the rocky horror show is playing in sydney. it's better on stage so i'd see it to vamp up your ideas. it sounds frickin' sweet btw

adriana08

HSC
Indie-DiscoZ said:
Mine is a a big picture from a dream i had. It is basically some crows flying over and sitting on some electricity poles. The picture stretches over three canvasses and the crows will have red buttons for eyes. I don't know what type of paint to use yet, whether it will be oil or acrylic but the actual poles and not the wires wil be dark brown and built up with impesto, and the crows are black. I need help with the background though cause at the moment it is leaning towards being matt grey. But yeah. I haven't really got a theme, but it might be creating beauty from the everyday. i.e the power lines. The buttons kinda tie into that as well. The working title is "My perfect Murder" cause a group of crows is called a murder. I hope i come up with something better.
hey indie, i completely agree with everyone else...great idea!!! :uhhuh:
love the concept...the fact that it came from a dream and l also love the title. the materials you are using also sound interesting...just one thing though, if you're really thinking of oils as the paint medium you're going to use, remember to take into account the fact that it takes heaps long to dry...might hinder your process of building up with impesto.
other than that...hope you do heaps well and everything goes to plan in your artmaking. good luck!! :)

Last edited:
D

Dell =P

hey adriana... i thinks its an awesome idea
im doin my BOW atm and was a bit confused on how to portray my concept to the audience
a piece of advice: try and think of your artwork from a viewers perspective.. what symbols and codes are you going to use to present your concept. Also start experimenting NOW! my art teacher told me that and it really helps me , by starting now you can deal with any problems you may find with the medias you choose to use

GOOD LUCk
dell

Indie-DiscoZ

HSC
adriana08 said:
hey indie, i completely agree with everyone else...great idea!!! :uhhuh:
love the concept...the fact that it came from a dream and l also love the title. the materials you are using also sound interesting...just one thing though, if you're really thinking of oils as the paint medium you're going to use, remember to take into account the fact that it takes heaps long to dry...might hinder your process of building up with impesto.
other than that...hope you do heaps well and everything goes to plan in your artmaking. good luck!! :)
my teacher said to use acrylic. so i will cause i did a trial with the oils last week. still a little wet. and thankyou. am i the only person who doesn't like it?

adriana08

HSC
Dell =P said:
hey adriana... i thinks its an awesome idea
im doin my BOW atm and was a bit confused on how to portray my concept to the audience
a piece of advice: try and think of your artwork from a viewers perspective.. what symbols and codes are you going to use to present your concept. Also start experimenting NOW! my art teacher told me that and it really helps me , by starting now you can deal with any problems you may find with the medias you choose to use

GOOD LUCk
dell
hi dell!
thanks for the advice...should be well taken as my art teacher also said that to me...as it happens i have already started with experimentation on two pieces of 30x45 cm wood...i've also experimented on the perspex.

as for the symbols...i'll try and upload my basic layout and the base images and text i am using.
thanks again :)

it didn't work? any help would be appreciated!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

emmmy

HSC
im doing a study of elephants. its going to be a COW and all be done in a different medium. i think i will have 12-15 pieces..

HSC
HEY
just replying to your post. your idea is fantastic! i hope it comes along nicely.
i'm thinking of doing a series of oil paintings that explore the concept of dreams and how dreams are capable of being influenced by the most minute detail, and how they can change abruptly without warning.
its kinda surreal at this point but hopefully i will have the effect i'm after :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)