BOW - nearly starting just need help!! (1 Viewer)

vanitysnare

HSC
Okay, so I have two ideas and I'm stuck.

I'm fine with the journal work and the theory side, but I must admit I want to just decide on an idea to stick with thats good enough to stick with (as I'm notorious for mind-changing).

I'm scared my idea is too cliche. First, fairy tale characters, portrayed as women from history linking the ideas in the fairy tales to social behaviours (as in, Snow White - Eve from the bible). And the titles of each drawing will be in German (Grimm brothers) and the entire BOW may be called 'Grim(m)' or something like that.

The other idea is to simply do portraits of famous people who inspire me then a portrait of me. Not as conceptually strong but realism may work better for me, I don't know!!! thoughts?

imnotwallace

HSC
Starting out a bit cliche isn't that big a problem (its unlikely what you have in mind to begin with is what you end up with), part of the process is really working on it and having those "Oh I've got a wonderful minor adjustment to my original idea!" moments.
First off, why can't you do your Grimm Brothers idea in a 'realistic' style? You've said you'd do better realistically and the Grimm idea does seem more conceptually stronger than your other one. Set your goal on a large general web e.g. Women, Literature, Fair tales etc. and then narrow down. This way, even if you do change your mind, you have somewhere to go that's still linked to your original idea. It's easier to cut off a branch than grow a new one.
Or maybe you could try and negotiate with yourself a combination of a portrait of yourself and Grimm bros.? Just a thought.
Do you have any 'mentor' artists you can follow? Find some artworks that have a style you like or concept you like and jot down what you like about them.

vanitysnare

HSC
Starting out a bit cliche isn't that big a problem (its unlikely what you have in mind to begin with is what you end up with), part of the process is really working on it and having those "Oh I've got a wonderful minor adjustment to my original idea!" moments.
First off, why can't you do your Grimm Brothers idea in a 'realistic' style? You've said you'd do better realistically and the Grimm idea does seem more conceptually stronger than your other one. Set your goal on a large general web e.g. Women, Literature, Fair tales etc. and then narrow down. This way, even if you do change your mind, you have somewhere to go that's still linked to your original idea. It's easier to cut off a branch than grow a new one.
Or maybe you could try and negotiate with yourself a combination of a portrait of yourself and Grimm bros.? Just a thought.
Do you have any 'mentor' artists you can follow? Find some artworks that have a style you like or concept you like and jot down what you like about them.
I love those adjustment moments but they happen every five seconds (a bit annoying but still good) do yeah I get you. I've looked for mentor artists as you say in my style its realism but its also not quite Surrealism... and its dark. Yeah I thought about it and tried Snow White in a realistic style, with the Talking Snake and the Apple and the Tree, the whole shebang. And it works.

I do have another question though. A water soluble 4B and various shading 2Bs would be best used on what kind of paper? I had a gazillion pencils so paper is the big thing I have to buy.

cheers

imnotwallace

HSC
I would guess you would go for water-colour paper. I've seen some in newsagents and art stores. Its just paper designed to be a bit more porous and a teensy bit thicker. Average paper generally has the property of crinkling once wet (unless you want that property). Considering you're looking at litrature as part of your work, are you going to use books as part of your artwork? I've gone to Eckersleys and found completely blank books with binders which could be really good when looking at challenging the traditional 'fairytale' conventions. I'm no expert on this matter though (my BOW doesn't use water-solubles).
The final question would be: "What do I want my artwork to look like and what materials achieve this affect?" I really don't know what look you are going for considering you are still only planning concepts.

If what I've said about water-colour paper is wrong, feel free to correct me. :S

Last edited:

inkygoo

HSC
You need to use a paper of over 150gsm to absorb water without crinkling. Try to go for a subtle textured surface as the bumps will absorb moisture without stretching the paper fibres and causing warping.

I would work on loose leaf sheets (buy at a well stocked newsagents or optimally an art supply shop) and the bigger the sheet of paper the better, you can always crop your work but giving yourself a small amount of space to work in will constrict you and affect the composition of your work.

inkygoo

HSC
Try not to worry excessively about subject matter. It does not matter if it is something a student before you has done - the markers have seen it all - focus on it being a well executed practical and doing your research to it's fullest extent. Your research and material explorations will push you into a more niche direction as a consequence.

vanitysnare

HSC
I would guess you would go for water-colour paper. I've seen some in newsagents and art stores. Its just paper designed to be a bit more porous and a teensy bit thicker. Average paper generally has the property of crinkling once wet (unless you want that property). Considering you're looking at litrature as part of your work, are you going to use books as part of your artwork? I've gone to Eckersleys and found completely blank books with binders which could be really good when looking at challenging the traditional 'fairytale' conventions. I'm no expert on this matter though (my BOW doesn't use water-solubles).
The final question would be: "What do I want my artwork to look like and what materials achieve this affect?" I really don't know what look you are going for considering you are still only planning concepts.

If what I've said about water-colour paper is wrong, feel free to correct me. :S
I have a pad of watercolour paper at home. But then thats only if I decide to add water. Yes the Grimm tales as well as books from when I was little, adapted and with gorgeous illustrations. w/c paper tends to have tiny bumps so maybe no water. It will be realistic and hopefully, fantastic. (as in, fantasy. Oh well, and awesome as well. Hehe.)

Pretty much I want the final look to make the markers go 'Is that a set up photo?' and find out 'No, its actually a drawing.'

:)

vanitysnare

HSC
You need to use a paper of over 150gsm to absorb water without crinkling. Try to go for a subtle textured surface as the bumps will absorb moisture without stretching the paper fibres and causing warping.

I would work on loose leaf sheets (buy at a well stocked newsagents or optimally an art supply shop) and the bigger the sheet of paper the better, you can always crop your work but giving yourself a small amount of space to work in will constrict you and affect the composition of your work.
cheers :D But what if I decide I don't want to use water, is there any specific paper that is good for detailed drawings with lots and lots of shading?

chamelia

HSC
Generally textured papers are also good for shading in terms of richness of colour. The more bumps, the more surface area and the richer the colour quality. I can't go as far as recommending specific brands - I source my papers randomly by feel and price rather than sticking to brands.

vanitysnare

HSC
Thanks chamelia. Yeah, I'll just have to search around. does price matter? I'm willing to pay, its just I'd rather not have to.

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)