Box Hill Institute of TAFE (1 Viewer)

BronwynKate

HSC
Hi everyone. It's good to see the TAFEs are getting equal time on BoredOfStudies.

I started at Box Hill in June 2002, from the mid-year intake. I am studying Professional Writing and Editing. Originally I took the Certificate IV but over the past two years I decided to do the Diploma. The Certificate IV is ten points and the Diploma is 18 points, and it's more transferable to university, like if I wanted to go to Deakin or La Trobe, neither of which are particularly attractive to me. I'd rather go to Monash or Melbourne and get some work experience in the editing and publishing industry.

It was basically a choice between Swinburne (two local campuses and one sort of local) and Holmesglen and Chisolm and Box Hill. I had always known of Box Hill, they were the first to have my course there and they were able to produce graduates who are in all sorts of interesting jobs in writing and editing.

Would like to hear from other Box Hill students or graduates.

If you're considering going to Box Hill or any other TAFE you can ask me what questions are on your mind. Thank you.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I was just wondering, does Box Hill have a distance ed. program for these writing courses? Because I wouldn't mind supplementing my current course with some indust. related work in writing.

BronwynKate

HSC
There are lots of specific industry courses - introduced this year.

EG corporate writing

and Internet skills for writers

and public relations too or something along those lines.

The course only gets you qualified in Victoria; I'd like to warn you. That is to say, the recognition.

And small press publishing is really good, even though you can't do THAT off campus!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
BronwynKate said:
They do it off-campus, yes.

I am sure you will love it.

Look here:

http://www.bhtafe.edu.au/Courses/Indexes/Distance.htm

and you will see Professional Writing and Editing - certificate IV and Diploma.

What are you doing now?
Cool, thanks - I'm currently doing a BA in Communications (Writing & Cultural Studies) at the University of Technology, which is a great course however finding work in this industry is rather tough so I want some extra hands on experience and an extra foot in the door so to speak.

BronwynKate said:
There are lots of specific industry courses - introduced this year.

EG corporate writing

and Internet skills for writers

and public relations too or something along those lines.

The course only gets you qualified in Victoria; I'd like to warn you. That is to say, the recognition.
So they aren't certificates or diplomas but short courses?

BronwynKate

HSC
Not short courses.

They are certificates and diplomas.

I really have muddled through this. off-campus ones are usually the same.

Thanks for telling me all about what you're doing. It makes me help you better.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hmm, some more questions (thanks for being so helpful:)):

*Whats the maximum time limit in which you need to finish the course? As I'll need to do it part time considering all the uni stuff i have going on.

*Also, would I have to go there in person if I wanted to apply for RPL since I'm doing a university course in a similar area?

BronwynKate

HSC
Part-time it can take from 4-8 years. Full time it takes 2 years. Everybody is different of course.

However long it takes you to do the 68 hours required.

Yes, you do have to show up for Recognition for Prior Learning. You show up during the first 4 weeks of the course and you fill in a yellow or green form. This procedure is the same if you wish to withdraw in the first four weeks - if you find it's not for you.

FutureTrader

HSC
Hey there, I am doing Certificate III in International Trade at the TAFE too.

Well, it's really good to know that you're studying there as well. BTW, as an international student, I'm looking for a better opportunity to get entry to Melbourne Uni, but unsure whether my decision in studying at TAFE is good for it or not.

In fact, at first, I was pretty nervous about the idea of undertaking this course but then, and until now, I love it - and looking forward to continue my postgraduate studies in the same area. Any suggestion of which uni around Victoria is the best for this course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)