Braces (1 Viewer)

DERRICKISVIET

HSC
didnt know where else to put this..

im in year12 now.. and i really wanna get braces, reason being my teeth are like this: (front four teeth on top jaw)

/
.|
.|
..\

as compared to normal teeth: (ok, exaggerated a tiny bit, but the point is my right tooth is sticking out, and it fkn hurts when i bite shit)

../
.|
.|
..\

so i go to the dentist for a checkup etc.. and he says i def need braces, HOWEVER, after he found out i was doing hsc this year, he said no.. i shouldnt, because the pain would cause me to stress out during the hsc

ive asked alot of people with braces at school, half of them say it really hurts and it'd kill me during the hsc, the other half say it hurts for that day only.. and its only a once-a-month tighten so it wont be too bad

my parents think i shouldnt get them cos of what the dentist said (but im asian, and you know asian parents and school.. sigh)
does anyone know if its ok to get braces during the hsc? i really want them before i get to uni.. wanna get them on asap, and off asap ;D i'd prefer having braces in highschool over uni/work/tafe etc..

any opinions?

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
if you have the funds go for it...i had braces for 3 years, my teeth were hardly out of line, i was told 1/1/2 - 2 years max. So be cautious if you don’t want to have braces until you are 23. Braces do not hurt...from my experience, my braces were metal traintrack ones, they caused me little/no trouble...in fact the years i had my braces installed i achieved my best results. i had them on from when i was 14-16 and was told to continue wearing them , i had to ask to get them taken out. Then plates i am still supposed to wear them indefinitely, i have now thrown out.
But braces aren’t a permanent solution; my teeth have now gone back into a slightly crooked position like they were when i had them put on...so it is unsuitable for some people.

unistudent

HSC
your tooth problem isnt severe, so you wouldnt need braces for an extended period of time. from my experience you should hav eno problem getting them during the hsc. just take painkillers if it gets too bad, but even i never took any medicine.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
I was meant to get braces during hsc as well but end up postponing due to your exact same reasons, i dont think it stress me out at all in fact I only wish i got them eariler. So if your getting braces choose now :p

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
my teeth were not as crooked as the ones you have displayed in your pic, my front tooth only crossed slightly over my other front tooth. But that can cause problems for the rest of the teeth, so then everything has to be realigned. The duration of having braces is dependant on how effective the treatment is on your mouth, which is almost indeterminable until you have them put in. If it hurts when you bite their definitely is a major problem…my teeth did not have that problem when I had braces, so you may need them in for a while if you are like me and have a similar treatment but I don’t know how good your orthodontist is. My advice: find a good, honest orthodontist.

unistudent

HSC
dont know where you are from. but there is a good one at epping. they also have branches at parra and hurstville i think.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
hell!

get ur braces ASAP!
I had my braces since march last year, in my HSC..didnt bother me at all during the HSC year!!:D
yeah, there is pain! cos your teeth are pissed off at you cos u want them to move!

I had the normal braces cos i also had crooked teeth
front top:

|
/
| - two front teeth
| - " " " " teeth
\
|

Also i had wot they called the 'scottish' mouth. were that teeth have collapsed inwards (not badly for me), but enough so that the teeth sat on top of each other, so they should grind on the tips.

my pain lasted a week...dont take simple panadole...like i did..i ended up popping them like crazy...get something stronger! also, eat soft food or soup..me, i dont like soup..so try to get your hands on grilled fish!

try to get ur braces now, so your teeth will be use to the braces & the monthly tightening. Also, if there's a monthly tighten during your exams..ask them to change it (luckily for me, i missed the HSC completely..it just worked out that way! :D)

another reason why you should get them, is that the older you get, the harder it is for the braces to work...for straighting..for you. this is the time, cos there's a crack on the roof of our mouths that is soft when we're young..& around 17-18 is when its almost completely hardened...hence the jaw is harder to move.

if your offer surgery...that should be a last resort...cos most of the time, the teeth will say 'screw you' & move back to where they were before!

i go to a really good & nice orthadontist named Dr Kinsella in Chatswood. He's one of the best. & even though im from the Blue Mountains, its cool..cos my dentist is in Crows Nest. lol

Dr Kingsella's number: (02) 9411 3836

alby

cool duckie
HSC
1) if it's just that tooth that's annoying you then you'd probably be able to only have to get them on the top. and this generally means less money and less time
2) from what i know (from my friends, brother & bf) they do hurt, but mainly when you get them tightened. you'll probably be in a lot of pain when you initially get them put on, but this dies down and you dont notice them as much
3) when you get them off, dont do what many people do, and forget about your plate/retainer - as example a) mr. bark has shown us, your teeth want to move back to their original position (espically in the first 6mths-1yr after you get them off). if you wear it when/for as long as your orthodontist tells you to, your teeth will 'learn' to stay where the braces moved them (the amount of time you need to wear them for lessens progressively after you get the braces off)

if your tooth's hurting you that much, talk to your dentist/orthodontist to ensure that braces are exactly what you mean. also, make sure you're prepared for getting braces (pain, extra work to keep them clean, etc), you'll be stuck with them for at least a year.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ive had them for 4.5 yrs....

most ppl with this guy only stay for 2.. im a special case :(

CieL

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
ive had them for 4.5 yrs....

most ppl with this guy only stay for 2.. im a special case :(
A girl in my school had them on from yr6-yr12... 6-7yrs..

That was because she refused to wear her elastics and the ortho refused to put on her train or something

Mr.Bark

what the hell...
HSC
did you guys have to wear elastics?...i had the annoying steel bits for them...the only bits that blistered my mouth causing bleeding...the bits which i ended up not using ever...does anyone know why some people with braces have elastics while others go without?

CieL

HSC
I've never had braces but I assume that the elastics are there to realign your jaw

that's why some people have the elastic either pulling out the lower jaw, or pulling out the upper jaw, or pulling on different sides

Kulazzi

HSC
The only pain that you will feel is when they put the braces on you, the tightening of the wire (which happens monthly and also depends on how much your ortho will tighten it) and if you get elastics. The pain you'll get from each of these usually takes about 3-4 days to recover so you'll get over them, definitely. It won't affect you THAT much imo

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
when i had my braces it hurt for about the first week after they were put on, but was controllable with some strong painkillers and soft food (good excuse for ice cream!). Half the time I didn't even notice I had them on, you get used to them being there and you get used to the ONE day of minimal pain from the tightening.

I had to wear elastics and I was told it was because I had an overbite which had to be realigned so it was 'essential I wear them all day, everyday'. God they were a pain in the arse though, they always broke in my mouth. You can get some pretty tight elastics as well which can kind of hurt your mouth, but if it hurts too much and its too hard to do anything because of the pain you just go back and tell the orthadontist and he/she'll check it out.

People really have the wrong idea with braces and how much pain it (doesnt) cause. If you think you need braces and you are prepared to follow the rules and look after them for around 2 years (i had mine for nearly 4) then it shouldnt stress you out at all.

DERRICKISVIET

HSC
woah.. thanks for the replies.. looking into personal experiences i think im definately going to find a new orthodontist.. ;D
i went to the one in chatswood before, but my friend suggested a place where he got his at castle hill ;o.. i guess ill try it out

btw, i have a slight overbite.. it causes me no troubles at all, im fine with it.. but i think an orthodontist would make me fix it no matter what right? so.. so much for only having the top jaw set :( haha

ill update with my progress

hunypot5

HSC
N/A
Your post made me laugh....really random sweetie...however, I had braces for four years and as much as I didn't like them (especially after year 2) I get compliments on my teeth ALL the time!!

So get 'em....

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ive had mine for just under 2 years and recently took them off late last year
once they put it on it feels very uncomfortable coz of the tightness which means u practically cannot eat hard foods......which was why i lost 5 kg during that time
but its worth it in the end coz 1) the aligning of your teeth means u can chew and break down food properly and 2) it looks better on you...with straighter teeth

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i got my braces in year 6!!! had them for 22 months. i remember they hurt so much! but come on, i was 12, i would have been more of a wimp back then.

my sister had to get braces twice, coz the orthodontist removed the first set too early and her teeth moved back again.

and so with me, he was so cautious of removing them early. he used to say to me every single visit, "next visit you can get them off" "next visit" on and on, until i'd had enough of the false hope and screamed the surgery down for him to take them off.

i dont think having the braces during year 12 would be that much of a problem! sure, it hurts like hell when you gotta have em tightened every 6 weeks, but a few panadol helps, and the pain only lasts a day or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)