Bragg's crystal structure (1 Viewer)

spaghera

i have an assignment question, "describe how de Broglie's wave particle dualism was applied to the determination of crystal structure in metals by Bragg" :confused: if anyone has any idea where i can find any kind of info that relates to that, pleeeeease tell me!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
sb said:
i have an assignment question, "describe how de Broglie's wave particle dualism was applied to the determination of crystal structure in metals by Bragg" :confused: if anyone has any idea where i can find any kind of info that relates to that, pleeeeease tell me!
de brogalie extend eistein wave particule duality to all matters, then electron, as a particle, would exhibit wave pattern... i suppose you CAN use electrons with specific wave length to find out the lattice structure of metals... altho i am pretty sure bragg used x-ray (emr) diffraction to determine the lattice structure of metal structure...

in whcih case, this q is flawed...

spaghera

yeah, bragg did use x rays, which is why i was confused cos i couldnt see how wave particle dualism applied, thanks anyway! = P

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, clearly whoever made that q is expecting the students to make something outta nothing @@

maybe talk to ur teacher whoever made the q... this doesn't make sense...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
In x-ray crystallography, the particle properties allows it to be deflected by the atoms in the crystal structure. However, the wave properties also allow interference to happen between photons/electrons reflected by different layers in the crystal lattice.
I believe this may be part of what the question is asking for. If you could recall which experiment it was Bragg did on this I could help you more.

The only thing I remember relevant was showing that electrons of certain energies being 'shone' through a sheet of metal exhibit the same pattern as x-rays.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
He used X-rays and found the distance between the parallel "sheets" of metal atoms. He then beemed X-rays at the specimen and looked at the interference pattern. From this he gathered that the distance between the atoms, was smaller then the valence band of electrons. From this the current "electron sea" model was developed.

Bragg's law involves λ where it is the wavelength of X-rays and moving electrons protons and neutrons.

Last edited:

spaghera

BlackJack said:
In x-ray crystallography, the particle properties allows it to be deflected by the atoms in the crystal structure. However, the wave properties also allow interference to happen between photons/electrons reflected by different layers in the crystal lattice.
I believe this may be part of what the question is asking for. If you could recall which experiment it was Bragg did on this I could help you more.

The only thing I remember relevant was showing that electrons of certain energies being 'shone' through a sheet of metal exhibit the same pattern as x-rays.
ok, i get that...the experiment is the one mentioned above, x rays are targeted at a crystal, they reflect from the different planes in the atom and the diffraction pattern shows the crystal lattice structure...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Well then, this is all I have to say to the dodgy q. Particle nature explains the interactions of the x-ray and the atoms, and wave nature the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)