Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1 Viewer)

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
does anybody actually enjoy reading this book? i'm halfway through and to tell u the truth...it's really boring.

can anybody explain the significance of the 'soma'?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yes, the whole point of studying this as an 'in the wild' text is that you're meant to look at how dislocated they are from natural life, (as a result of govt control, increasing technological inovation and invasion) etc. the soma is significant because it shapes the emotions of the people so they don't feel any emotion other than infantile happiness - ie, they're detached from their natural state of the full gamut of emotions. hence sayings like 'a gramme is better than a damn'

hope that helps

mack

Banned
HSC
"Soma" is another tool of social engineering. It is vital for the economic imperative of the society that every class of human is happy and productive, following the motto 'Community, Identity, Stability". Think of it as 'chemical persuasion" It also helps to highlight how the obsession with technology leads to a regression of humanity(the main point behind you are arguing in this module).

I know all too well how shit boring it is, but really, there is no substitute for thorough digestion of the novel. Read and re-read Brave New World as often as possible, actually thinking as you read about such central critical areas as theme, characterisation, plot, point of view, language. Learn to take notes as you read-mark off key passages that convey thematic material or help to shape characterisation;jot down recurring images, metaphors, motifs;investigate the symbolic implications of speech;determine when narrative material is being presented ironically. If you can do all of this, you'll be able to place yourself in the top band easily. Believe me, going into an examination with a dodgy understanding of what's actually in the novel is suicide. Also, if you've read the novel more than anyone else, you'll be able to handle any wierd or unexpected question BOS might throw your way. Because ultimately, they are testing your ability to synthesise your information to meet the course outcomes.

That might all sound a bit daunting, but it's a good feeling when you know you've written a kick ass essay.

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
can somebody post a creative writing piece they've done on brave new world and bladerunner, please? possibly a radio interview transcript?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
You'll do better out of getting off your ass and practising yourself, trust me

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
haha nicko, u got told!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
its a mad book
everyone is promiscuous and fucks around
oh and zippers are meant to be cool
oh yeah!

Tuna

HSC
N/A
If were to write essays on this novel what will be the questions about? Could you give us some of them?

Cab31

HSC
dont fret. you are never going to get asked an actual question only on BNW. i got bored reading it too....i actually never finished it!! jokes on my school bcoz i got full marks in the assessment task! anyway, if u hate it that much read a few study guides and things. the truth is that the whole unit is not so much about the book, its about the way context has affected the composer and how that shapes the values in each text. i mean essentially they are saying the same thing - that a world devoid of human interaction with its roots - the natural world - will result in a loss of the essence of humanity. But in order to come to that conclusion you need to figure out what it means to be human, define nature and find what the true meaning of 'wild' is. when you have done that, you can compare and contrast the ways that the composers have acheived the fall of humanity and what impact their context has on the form that they portray the theme. so when it comes down to it, the actual book and reading means far less than going deep into the meanings of it...but it is a stepping stone i guess:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)