Brave New World (1 Viewer)

Lady_Melian

stary nights
HSC
Hi, i was just wondering if anybody else had to do Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and what you think of it. I found it interesting, but really strange as well......hard to explain but i guess if you've read it you'll know what i mean. I was also wondering if anybody knows where i could find worthwile info on the net about the book coz i have study guide questions to answer and they are really quite hard (esp. coz its the hols and its hard to think straight when there is other stuff to do!!). Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated!:)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
what is the point of copying answers of the net for a study guide? i'm not being nasty, it just seems pointless and un-helpful. i'm positive youre smart enough to figure out the answers for yourself

Lady_Melian

stary nights
HSC
I'm not so much as after answers (i've only got 2 left anyways) i just want to know other peoples perspectives on it. I found some stuff at the library but i just want to know what others who are studying it think of it (i'd ask my class but its the hols so you know...)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
It's the depiction of the perfect society...

All my essays for it are going to be based on that :p

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
do you mind posting up some questions from your study guide ?

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Yeha BNW has been compared with Orwells 'Nineteen Eighty Four' (which you may study later this year) as a defining dystopian novel. At the time Huxley wrote it, he was expressing his opinion about Americanisation and LA, how it was rapidly influencing the world, however he feared it was not a stable growth (as illustrated when john arrived). It is kind of wierd, but there is a certain clarity in the message that the text conveys. There is also influences of Huxley's personal context, related to complete government control (totalitarianism) and Europe's post war economic collapse, which both were his fears and observations about their dangers and consequences

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
It's the depiction of the perfect society...

All my essays for it are going to be based on that :p
Not sure if that will work particularly well. Brave New World is clearly intended as a dystopia rather than a utopia.

Even the 'beneficial' elements of Huxley's construction (ie; Elimination of sickness, old age etc:) are represented as having negative consequences, creating dehumanisation. As such, BNW is a warning of the future if changes are not made before it is too late (Heightened by the satirical elements, ie; intertextuality and irony). As Huxley wrote in 1931;

'It's a bad world, at the moment worse than usual. One has the impression of being in a lunatic asylum"

Remember that the London of the text is depicted as a society where paradoxically, although everyone belongs to everyone, the populace becomes increasingly isolated from one another, and ultimately their own humanity. Their thoughts and emotions are quelled by technology and soma, creating an endless holiday from reality. Stratification is rampant, and John The Savage's reactions are intended to mirror those of the responder, I'd rather have no happiness at all than the false, lying happiness you have here. The natural environment is eliminated to create a sterile, absurd (orgy-porgy) metropolis... In short, a dystopia where the population is largely unaware of their own oppression. (Sorry to spell it out, but..)

Aldous Huxley's own conception of an utopic state may be seen in his last novel, Island.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Not sure if that will work particularly well. Brave New World is clearly intended as a dystopia rather than a utopia.
umm, dude, I honestly think he knows all that.

santaslayer

HSC
da study guides were helpful......hiring the movie is also helpful, coz the first time i watched it, da ideas and themes didnt really sink in coz it was a pretty unusual movie and module for english

m1nx

HSC
i love the way the ending is written (although admittedly I think it was a drastic overreaction on John's part, but that's just my opinion)~ the last paragraph a pretty chilling impression.

Slowly, very slowly, like two unhurried compass needles, the feet turned towards the right; north, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west; then paused, and, after a few seconds, turned as unhurriedly back towards the left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east . . .

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
out of interest, why do you think John overreacted by being unable to cope with being a constant commodity in a world without the things he loved, ie, passion, art, where his mother was dead, and the woman he loved could never commit to him or express any emotion above the infantile?

nick86

Perhaps John knew that he would have never found peace or happiness in such a world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)