BRB robbing swiss bank to pay for public transport in NSW for my education (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
yes but our transport system is less inefficient yet costs more. I think cityrail is going to increase the price again.
The price did just increase, the price of a MyMulti 3 last year was $30 and the year before was $28.50

D94

HSC
N/A
Not everyone lives close to public transport, and not all bus times are ideal. And with the current public transport planning, bus times can be pretty crap, e.g. where I live, bus arrives at station at 10:36, train departs at 10:36 - whoever planned that should be sacked immediately; busses are generally late, sometimes they don't even come, they are very unreliable.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sweet jesus - generation sense-of-entitlement.

master_mind1

HSC
Uni Grad
they could atleast give us the courtesy of ensuring all the trains are the new ones
Forget that, so long as the train gets there on time, i'm a happy bumpkin. You're paying for a service that gets you from point A to point B. Although it'd be nice to have air-con

NBGHHS

HSC
I wouldn't care about paying $30.50 every week for uni, but only if we could HECS it...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Sweet jesus - generation sense-of-entitlement.
I think it's more or less a new experience for these guys having to pay for these types of things so I'm not too perturbed by it myself.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Not everyone lives close to public transport, and not all bus times are ideal. And with the current public transport planning, bus times can be pretty crap, e.g. where I live, bus arrives at station at 10:36, train departs at 10:36 - whoever planned that should be sacked immediately; busses are generally late, sometimes they don't even come, they are very unreliable.
track the buses, or keep those little slips of paper that mark what time they arrive each day, then write to whoever manages the buses and give them the tickets as well, proving that they're late or just don't show up.

someone did this in my area and within 3 months they had added an extra 3 services a day and changed the timetable as they realised some parts of the trip just simply took more time than they had originally allowed for.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I think it's more or less a new experience for these guys having to pay for these types of things so I'm not too perturbed by it myself.
it's like an hour and a half of work, maybe 2 max (assuming min wage). not really that expensive if you go something like a my multi

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
it's like an hour and a half of work, maybe 2 max (assuming min wage). not really that expensive if you go something like a my multi
Pretty much.

A lot of these guys probably haven't got work at the moment so it's not surprising.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
/title

I have saved money but still...it's like daylight robbery. $1500+ a year for transport just makes my inner indian stinginess hurt.
Why are we paying any more than we already are for our education?

p.s our fee statements have hit myUNSW. Check it out if you haven't already

stop whining like a little betch, if you dont want to pay then walk or ride a bike, and if you dont want uni fees dont go to uni

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Pretty much.

A lot of these guys probably haven't got work at the moment so it's not surprising.
I can't remember how people used to spend money without a job... was it parents paying for things? Is it a case that parents are now refusing to pay for transport? Are jobs so hard to come by?

This confuses me a bit I guess because I've been fortunate enough to have had a job since I finished high school and even during times when I was unemployed, I somehow had enough savings or tutored here and there for the extra cash for transport.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
you know it ;) forgive me for being a self-centered snot, just can't keep up with the older folks!
You realise that we're all pretty much part of the same generation, right? :p Blue Suede and I are maybe one-two years older than you guys; same with Oz.

This is to say nothing of the fact that:
1. Public transport is already heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. Just because an adult pays $5 one way from the west to the City, does't mean it costs that much for Cityrail. In fact, I reckon it costs Railcorp more like $20 for that same fare. So, essentially, heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.
2. You'd likely be eligible for a student concession, so it's half the price.
3. Pretty much what Blue Suede and Oz said - get a part-time job. It's pretty much 1 hour's worth of pay. Maybe two hours if you're on minimum wage.
4. It's highly unlikely you wouldn't be using public transport for your social life (if any) otherwise. When I lived out west, even if I didn't come into the city for uni or work, I'd be there for something else.
5. University is expensive - hence the HECS system. Even so, the cost to the university/government is just as much, if not more. You're most likely on a CSE position - the Government pays for most of your university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)